Hardware Hard Drive "Clicking" Sound

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a laptop with a SSD and 2 1TB HDD's. Every once and a while, I hear a "clicking" noise/sound coming from my HDDs I think. Computer and programs/games have not crashed or anything... should I be concerned? Is there a way to check to see if they are OK? Thoughts appreciated :)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a laptop with a SSD and 2 1TB HDD's. Every once and a while, I hear a "clicking" noise/sound coming from my HDDs I think. Computer and programs/games have not crashed or anything... should I be concerned? Is there a way to check to see if they are OK? Thoughts appreciated :)
As long as it's periodic and not constant it should be fine. It's most likely the arm switching positions. Try defragmenting the drive, that would help partially. If you're really concerned download support software from the drive manufacturer and run a S.M.A.R.T. check (assuming the drive supports it)

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

I heard this also coming from my hard drive. I would run a smart test on it and see if it has any bad sectors or anything.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wrong earlier. The HDDs are 2TB each and Seagate brand. I downloaded SeaTools from Seagate and ran SMART test on both HDDs, both HDDs passed. Still wonder what that clicking sound is and if I should be worried/concerned...

Last edited by Skeet1983,

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as it's periodic and not constant it should be fine. It's most likely the arm switching positions. Try defragmenting the drive, that would help partially. If you're really concerned download support software from the drive manufacturer and run a S.M.A.R.T. check (assuming the drive supports it)

How long does a SMART test usually take? It was done in a matter of seconds when I ran test on both HDDs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if its a dying drive I don't think anything is going to happen to it soon. Follow everyone elses advice of backing it up and if the clicking becomes more frequent or the drives start to get slow replace them. In my experience drive failure isn't an immediate issue and you should have time to back it up before replacing it.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-