Hard-Bricked CFW 2ds xl

Metal_Cap

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 2DS XL isn't working after trying a sketchy program (which I think was a virus). I neglected the problem for a few years, but now I really want to use my 2ds xl. I don't have the SD card in it previously, and I'm considering sending it to Nintendo for repairs. What should I do?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The term "bricked" has lost all meaning at this point. What do you think "Hard-Bricked" means?

My 2DS XL isn't working after trying a sketchy program (which I think was a virus)
If there was such a thing as a "virus", there would be heaps of people with the same problem by now.

The 2ds also isn’t receiving any charge
There's certainly no way software could cause that problem. That suggests either the battery or the charger is defective.

And I’m not sure if I can use a different sd card for it.
People lose their SD cards one way or another all the time. If you had CFW installed, all you need is https://3ds.guide/restoring-updating-cfw .

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The term "bricked" has lost all meaning at this point. What do you think "Hard-Bricked" means?
Hard-bricked is used all the time in the context of Android phones – while not referring to any hardware damage.
They sometimes use it as a description for a very severe error, sometimes requiring opening hardware to access test points for activating some kind of emergency download mode → flash stock ROM.
Yes, it has lost all meaning. Hard bricked might be a synonym for "Nothing works for me" opposed to soft bricked "Main OS is unavailable, but some parts are still present."

There's certainly no way software could cause that problem.
@Sono Could you destroy the charge controller with software?

Metal_Cap

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If there was such a thing as a "virus", there would be heaps of people with the same problem by now.

There's certainly no way software could cause that problem. That suggests either the battery or the charger is defective.
Okay, so I should just buy replacement parts and try to fix the battery and charger, then restore CFW?

Metal_Cap

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hard mod to reflash the NAND
No, since the device didn't have any charge I can't do that. When the 2ds was on, the device just had a black screen although it was on. I only downloaded CFW not knowing much about it other than custom themes and emulators.

Last edited by Metal_Cap,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
buy replacement parts and try to fix the battery and charger
You don't "try to fix the battery and charger". You replace them. (Trying to mess with the internals of a charger is a bad idea; trying to mess with the internals of a battery is a very, very bad idea.) But again, there is no reason software would somehow blow up your battery and it would be a weird coincidence if your battery completely failed at the same time as the software.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
trying to mess with the internals of a battery is a very, very bad idea.)
Indeed. It is a single cell and protection circuit. Nothing one could (or should try) servicing.

remove the battery and try booting with just the cable
Sadly DS won't do that because… well… because Nintendo. They need a hardware modification (no link at hand right now). 3DS will not turn on when not having (+), (-) and thermistor of a battery connected. This means even a power supply right on the battery terminals will help.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Indeed. It is a single cell and protection circuit. Nothing one could (or should try) servicing.

Sadly DS won't do that because… well… because Nintendo. They need a hardware modification (no link at hand right now). 3DS will not turn on when not having (+), (-) and thermistor of a battery connected. This means even a power supply right on the battery terminals will help.
Ugh... why?! That should be illegal....

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
@Sono Could you destroy the charge controller with software?

The thing is, is that yes and no.

The MCU manages whether the PMIC should allow battery charge or not. The PMIC can't be destroyed by software (or at least, none that I know of, especially since only the MCU is connected to it), but the MCU can be "destroyed" via software. There isn't a functional MCU bricker out there though, so that's unlikely.

If the 3DS works, but it doesn't charge, and assuming the charger works, then there is only one thing that could be happening: battery lockout :D

Basically there is some code in MCU_FIRM which locks out certain batteries on certain consoles, and prevent charging it at all cost.

As for turning on the 3DS without a battery, I forgot what exactly you need to do, but you can hard-tie the middle pin to negative(?), and that should enable the 3DS to turn on, although it will NOT charge in that mode either, as it's a special mode intended for adapter-powered (not charger) 3DS units.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol