image_4e6bbcc385154.png
image_4e6bbcc5b37f9.png

image_4e6a261212592.png
image_4e6a2618154b6.png

image_4e6a260dcd1f6.png
image_4e6a26109534d.png

image_4e6a260fb4f07.png
image_4e6a260f0a0e5.png

guy has ported a few maps and models for 'quake engine'. some screenshots looks great. but why no one has ported a full game?

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
that might be using some Ram expansion, like the EZ 3in1 GBA memory.. Or even attached with a SCDSTwo.. Surely, the Q1 doesn't run on ds, but the above images... idk.. Source?

LeRodeur

Trophies
XP
Country
France
maybe somebody can create a port this game on Q1 engine?

[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YA9km4aHjzI[/media]
  • the program, working state and game data have been squeezed into the four megabytes of main memory
  • it requires either shareware or commercial pak files, Amiga and PC paks have been successfully used
  • many total conversions and mods should work with a stock DS, assuming they respect the tiny memory size
  • total conversion and mods which refuse to play on a stock DS will play on a DS with a compatible flash card when combined with the EXRAM build
  • infrastructure-based wifi network gaming is supported
  • ad-hoc DS/DS gaming is currently de-activated in this version
  • there is full control configuration
  • game saves work, although there may be some corruption using certain DLDI drivers - game saving is not guaranteed to work correctly in the EXRAM build (when used with a slot-2 DLDI)
  • there's a crosshair
  • there's view snapping and pen sensitivity settings
  • there is a proper timebase, so the speed won't be inconsistent any more like it was in pre1
  • there's an on-screen keyboard, for use in-game and with the console, and it is much more functional than before
  • there are eight user-bindable 'touch buttons'
  • access to the command line is now easier
  • dodgy QuakeC compatibility has been improved

1. You need Quake's data files. If you own a copy, that's cool - you'll have full access to the game. If not, then you can download the shareware version of Quake (for DOS) from id's site. This will only allow you to play the levels from the first episode. If you want to play the full game, buy a copy - don't ask me (or others) where you can get these files.

You cannot use total conversions or mods with the shareware data files.
    1. In the root of your flash card, make a directory named id1
    2. If you're using the shareware version, copy pak0.pak from that archive into the id1 directory that you just created
    3. If you're using a commerical version, copy pak0.pak AND pak1.pak into that directory

Get the files and the mod, try it on ds, http://quake.drunkencoders.com/

There is also this port of quake http://code.google.com/p/cquake/ but never tried it. And i know there is another one but it has been released years ago in beta stage

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the screenshots above a from cquake. there were at least 2 other versions of quake for the ds. the first one made the code was never released only a video, possibly some tester received a copy. it used the hardware 3d and required running all of the quake assets through a converter on a pc - probably the best approach in regards to the limited hardware - but too difficult for most people to figure it out. the other version used the software renderer and was about 1 frame per second and not playable at all. I think the developer abandoned it and used it as a start for a wii port.

the maps for half-life are much bigger than the maps for quake. it would be possible to get it running on either an ievo or using a ram pack but something would need to be done about the tri count as it exceeds the ds capacity. but since it it worked for quake 2 I think that it should work for half-life. quake 2 for the ds limited the view and think distance for enemies, but is still had a lot of problems dropping triangles - playable though.

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think what helped the Quake releases was the fact that id released the source code. This isn't so for Half-Life, this is the biggest stumbling block.

But then the GoldSrc engine is based on the Quake engine, so maybe it's not as much work as it may seem..

absolalone111

Chiptune Extraordinaire
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about this yesterday, and i have an idea, you could get a copy of mw1 on ds, rom hack it, and have a map creator program. You could then use mw1 as a way of playing levels fro other games, like counterstrike, half life 1 and 2, part 1 and 2, and mabey even tf2. The best thing would be if you could use it to play levels from goldeneye 007 on n64

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyY0Z_U09mk