XP
Country
United States

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I read about a lot of mistakes for example with Terranigma and Ilusion of Time (Ilusion of gaia) what that working fine in retroarch but not with the console emulator or maybe the problem was that are pal roms

terranigma and illusion of time qworks with pal (to ntsc patched) and ntsc version only with retroarch and that fine

Maurobr76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So have Anyone found or made some nice letter folders, A.B.C and so on that match snes?

The ones i have for My nes is awesome for that machine, so want some for snes too :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why do people want to change from pal to ntsc or ntsc to pal?

What is that good for?

Reactions: artemus3

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 yes when you have acces to the nand
2 look to point 1
3 the are uncompressed and with the hakchi 2.21b the are in a nand section where you dont put games on.
they are not neccesary for the free space now
4 look in setting of the mini snes and there you can dissable classic demo

they take the ntsc version because it has higher frame as the pal version.
and what so difficult to convert games and play them?
the made by nintendo america and made by nintendo of europe is not important because all of it are build in china and thats what on the device are printed.
and why to make the produktion complexer with more various versions?

Liriel, it seems the thing we are talking about as to why is the EU SNES mini appears to be a blend of the EU SNES with the US roms. Rather than just using US system 'code' with US Roms as the basis for the emulator.

But yes, it seems all of them are built in China... So the question is why would China's production use two different emulators one based on American NTSC (which was virtually compatible with all NTSC US and Japan games) and another that is based on the PAL (which can't read "US" or "UK" roms?). Standardizing it would have made it easier, and then they wouldn't have had ot have hardpatched the NTSC roms to make them compatible with the "PAL" settings in the Europe verison of the mini.

Depending on the game, it seems its actually a few steps more to get games to work on the European Mini, than it is to get those same games working on the American or Japanese Minis due to the Pal version having the Region/NTSC blockout "code" from the original PAL nintendos systems. Based on what WIIUBricker has said about the differences in the Canoe code in each.

Last edited by Baggins,

Orbiting234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every Most untouched SNES ROMs have region checks built in. Those region checks are nothing new and exist since the existence of the SNES. You can patch them out using a tool or do it manually with a hex editor. There are instructions for that on the internet. Those region checks are the reason why you can't play NTSC ROMs on an EU SNES Mini without removing the region checks first. PAL ROMs converted to NTSC won't run on an EU SNES Mini if they don't have the region checks patched out. If an NTSC ROM downloaded off the internet works with the EU SNES mini, then that mean that ROM already is region free patched or is a ROM without region checks.

Let me ask this then: would it possible for one to make a complete NAND dump from a US SNESC and then load it onto an EU SNESC and avoid this whole region mess altogether?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Let me ask this then: would it possible for one to make a complete NAND dump from a US SNESC and then load it onto an EU SNESC and avoid this whole region mess altogether?
I have seen a post on reddit from someone claiming that they installed a NAND backup from an SNES Mini on an NES Mini, so I would guess it is possible.

Fire-WSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for the 100 times now!
the mini snes is a ntsc console and because that you need to convert pal games to ntsc!
the europe version is the same lie us version only with a other shell and a other look in the system design!

No, the SNESMC is not NTSC. In the digital HD age, these norms do not really matter anymore.
In the end they are more trouble.
A Bluray today is everywhere 1080p 60Hz.
The Mini also outputs the same signal in all regions.
Just the emulator cares for NTSC. It wants the roms in that norm.
Its just easier for Nintendo to stick to the NTSC 60Hz versions.
Maybe it creates some trouble displaying 50Hz games o modern Flat TVs
or maybe Nintendo thinks that playing these games is better in 60Hz.

Mad-Mega

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know why PAL ROMs won't work. I never tried it. I only tried NTSC ROMs on my EU SNES mini. But as far as the region stuff goes, well it sounds crazy but imagine Canoe is an actual SNES. When you boot a ROM with that, region code in that ROM will check which region the SNES is and if there is no match, you get the "this game pak is not designed for your SNES"message. ROMs that have those region checks removed obviously won't perform a region check and run as if the region matches. You can search for region checks yourself using a hex editor:

I read on most pages that i should upload NTSC roms to a PAL console, will that work, or should i check every NTSC rom that i want to upload if it has a region check?

Last edited by Mad-Mega,

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why do people want to change from pal to ntsc or ntsc to pal?

What is that good for?
only change pal to ntsc!
ntsc games have most englisch but not other language from europe.
a pal game can be in german, france or spain.
for a user from europe is than a pal to ntsc patch better as to play in only englisch.
and there are some games that was never released in US

No, the SNESMC is not NTSC. In the digital HD age, these norms do not really matter anymore.
we art talking about the snes and its games!
the snes hat a pal region and a ntsc region.
the mini snes has problems to play pal games because it is made for the ntsc game.
the games are not interesset if the emulator bring the picture to hdmi.
they only play that what is it in the programm code.

and then there are pal games with region lock that says that that is no pal console and i dont play the game

Last edited by Liriel,
Reactions: Maurobr76

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Possibly? But then you'd lose the cosmetic menu design that matches up with the controllers/coloring of the console.

flinto

Trophies
XP
Country

What mess up? The games were region encoded for various reasons one of which was that US and Pal TV's were not compatable.
That isnt the case now as all TVs accept HDMI

Just patch your rom or use the US version.

There is no mess up

Reactions: Baggins

Baggins

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

According to WIIUBricker, the EU and the Americas version of the system are not simply the same with a different shell... Besides the differences in the in-system menu design/colors, etc.., apparently the EU version bugs out on NTSC roms throwing up a Region/PAL warning, that NTSC games won't work on a PAL SNES.
So this has lead to roms having to be patched to trick the emulator into thinking they are 'PAL region" games. So he says they have to be patched to make them look like a 'pal game', but still function in 60hz (NTSC).

It would be great if he showed this (on youtube) warning pop up in action though so others can see what he's talking about.

Last edited by Baggins,

TerryG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, I'm using that border with retroarch, but the gameplay screen is cut off at the edges. How can I make it fit perfectly like how it is with the pre-installed games?

Press start and select to bring up the menu. Go to Settings, then Video. Change the Aspect Ratio to Custom and adjust the X and Y positions and Width and Height to fit. You may have to disable the Interger Scale setting to be able to adjust the width and height correctly.

flinto

Trophies
XP
Country
apparently the EU version bugs out on NTSC roms throwing up a Region/PAL warning, that NTSC games won't work on a PAL SNES.
So this has lead to roms having to be patched to trick the emulator into thinking they are 'PAL region" games. So he says they have to be patched to make them look like a 'pal game', but still function in 60hz (NTSC).

Not true. Mine is a Euro version. All my NTSC roms work fine. Most of my PAL roms work ok but for one or two which need patching.

Both US and European SNES minis prefer the NTSC rom. There is no difference in this regard

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival