Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

Kumoashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Judging by what I'm seeing in the changes to the Hakchi source code, it looks like we will be able to add new games and the program will fill in the box art and game info for us.

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so 69 games (136,8MB) with 2 folders from hacki 2.20 rc5 are installed.
some problems was there!

secret of mana works not when i put the sfc file in hackchi.
to run i inject the old version with script convert in the snes.

the to ntsc patched games Zombies ate my neightbors, mario all stars and pop n twinbee wont works and warn that the game is not for this nes system.
with the us version no problem.

Breath of Fire Case the system to reboot after 1 second screen.
i must uninstall the costum kernel and co then flash to original kernel and then back to custom kernel to get the error away.
it is the game because when it is not installed the problem is away.

later i must compress the original games too

Last edited by Liriel,

HillaryClinton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure... but i can confirm that the console gets hotter with the custom kernel. I don't know if it will harm in the long-term. Question is, the issue should be investigated, just in case.

Yeah I hope this can be rectified, I build PC's a lot, and heat is a factor when it comes to lifespan, I mean a little is fine but if its getting twice as hot for example that can spell out future issues...

Darix2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

I investigated an issue (or at least I think it is an issue / bug in the hakchi "hack" process to the custom kernel).

Facts:

- When I flash the custom kernel (using and old USB2 port in the PC), it is done OK, but when you try to turn ON the SNES mini it shuts off automatically after 1 second. This behaviour DOES NOT happen when you use a 2A AC adapter/charger direct to the outlet plug or an USB3 port (USB3 standar let pass more power than USB2). Then the console does not shut off.

- The behaviour DOES NOT happen when the ORIGINAL kernel is installed in the SNES Mini.

That made me think about it and suspected about an increased power consumption when the custom kernel is installed, so I made some checks with my AMP/Watt meter:

- With original kernel: consumption is about 2 Watts.
- With custom kernel: consumprion is about 3.5 Watts.

I was right.

This is a problem, because i use my NES mini (And want to use my SNES mini too) connected to the USB of my TV to get power. But it is NOT POSSIBLE with the custom kernel, because it is consuming near DOUBLE the power, and the TV is not capable of providingg it and consequently the console shuts off.

This shoud be enough to open a ticket in the Github to be investigated by the author.

So that's why after a few minutes of play, my SNES mini was becoming warmer then usualy!

Reactions: HillaryClinton

josete2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I don't see any new menu option, stating that it would be possible.

Thanks for answer...

I'm asking about SaveCount (in the .desktop file) because the pencil icon doesn't appear if it is set to 0.

As the rom header has the Sram info, it can be set to 1 reading it because only a few games that have sram don't have save features (vortex, doom, StarFox, dragon ball Hyper dimension...)

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Super_NES_Programming/SNES_memory_map#The_SNES_header

Last edited by josete2k,

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm starting to suspect that it's making our cobsoles hotter, maybe my freezes weren't coming from bad hakchi but from what it asked for power.

What are tou guys using when getting problems? I'm playing with phone USB cable powering off of tv.

flinto

Trophies
XP
Country
Just my two cents worth.

If people are ramming the memory full of games the processor is having to work overtime to do anything as it has less free memory to work.

My phone gets hot when it memory is rammed

Could be completely wrong ofcourse

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does flashing back revert to 2W? As someone with a very crude knowledge of electrics, 3.5watts is nothing, 2watts is nothing. A standard USB cable should be able to power 10 watts with ease, on a TV as well.

2.0 to 3.5 is well within normal flucterations IMHO this is not the issue. Obviously I stand to be corrected
The issue is not the cable, the issue is that usb 2.0 connections - which is what most TVs have - are only specified up to 500mA. At 5V that equals to 2.5W. 3.5W would draw a current of 700mA which is outside the USB spec. Now, some TVs might provide that current, depends on the model I guess.

Either way, the SNES classic manual (which we all read thoroughly) states that a 1A supply is required. That's 5W for anyone not doing the math. So really, anything up to that value should be within the margin of error during measurement. Also, you should not power the SNESC from your TV directly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7