Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

dragonzam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, asking you directly, how safe is this new unofficial method in terms of brick risk?

This is exactly the tweak I added this morning. It's safe and it works.

Even if it didn't work you're only affecting the new ROMs you are adding to the SNES mini, you aren't modifying anything critical in the SNES mini system files.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brick risk is very low, you aren't using FTP anymore and if a game doesn't work, you'll get a error and you can delete that game and try again later.

Even during the actual kernel dumping and flashing? And I absolutely have to use the two games like Harvest Moon, and deselect the ones selected? I only want Chrono Trigger as a test. I really don't want to screw myself out of 80 dollars.

Even if it didn't work you're only affecting the new ROMs you are adding to the SNES mini, you aren't modifying anything critical in the SNES mini system files.

So why does that guide on Reddit say there's a risk at all?

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even during the actual kernel dumping and flashing? And I absolutely have to use the two games like Harvest Moon, and deselect the ones selected? I only want Chrono Trigger as a test. I really don't want to screw myself out of 80 dollars.
Kernel dumping has no risk and if completed you have a backup. Flashing has a very very low risk that is reversible if you have your backup (hence why you make that first) even if you don't have a backup many others have it and can pass it too you.

You can select only the games you want

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kernel dumping has no risk and if completed you have a backup. Flashing has a very very low risk that is reversible if you have your backup (hence why you make that first) even if you don't have a backup many others have it and can pass it too you.

I'm using this guide here, so essentially, I open up the program, hold reset as I power on the system for at least five second, then it will dump? And then I just direct the program to the game I want to add and then I just sync it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmo...to_add_games/dnw82az/?sh=cf658c7c&st=J8DOA9FM
The guide I'm using right now :P

I suppose the biggest risk was the FTP portion, but that seems no longer needed, thankfully.

And that reddit guide has to say that to cover anyone's ass, but honestly even if you brick it's reversible

Whew...good :P

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And that reddit guide has to say that to cover anyone's ass, but honestly even if you brick it's reversible

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm using this guide here, so essentially, I open up the program, hold reset as I power on the system for at least five second, then it will dump? And then I just direct the program to the game I want to add and then I just sync it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmo...to_add_games/dnw82az/?sh=cf658c7c&st=J8DOA9FM
The guide I'm using right now :P

I suppose the biggest risk was the FTP portion, but that seems no longer needed, thankfully.
Yep but you need converted games first obviously

Yep but you need converted games first obviously
FTP was the main risk because you had access to all system files, you want be touching anything anymore

Reactions: the_randomizer

dragonzam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So why does that guide on Reddit say there's a risk at all?
Beats me why some guys wrote whatever on Reddit. it's not a bad thing to do i.e. say there is a disclaimer. Everyone on this thread understood that there *IS* a risk in modding the system even with hakchi. But I have two of these things and I read enough ahead of time that I wasn't worried.

In addition I found out some interesting behavior about hakchi2 that makes it pretty easy to revert anything weird. There is a NEWER (non-official) hakchi2 that can upload games to the system directly -- I have not used this method however. Mainly because I like doing things manually to understand them.

Or as you've said again and again and again, we could all just wait. That's just personal choice.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What tweak did you make I'm still using the first uploaded one

dragonzam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also keep in mind that the SNES mini's files are all on a read-only partition so you can't actually delete the games as far as I can tell. Not without purposefully trying to anyway.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beats me why some guys wrote whatever on Reddit. it's not a bad thing to do i.e. say there is a disclaimer. Everyone on this thread understood that there *IS* a risk in modding the system even with hakchi. But I have two of these things and I read enough ahead of time that I wasn't worried.

In addition I found out some interesting behavior about hakchi2 that makes it pretty easy to revert anything weird. There is a NEWER (non-official) hakchi2 that can upload games to the system directly -- I have not used this method however. Mainly because I like doing things manually to understand them.

Or as you've said again and again and again, we could all just wait. That's just personal choice.
Oh yeh I'm using that now it's waaaay easier haha, I don't ftp anymore

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Come back after saying to go make a new thread... see 3 more junk pages... this thread is officially dead...

yeah i got pretty tired of reading about the randomizers wishy washy attitude and lack knowledge on the subject while telling everyone what to do .. thank goodness for a hand full of comments in the last 20pgs though

Reactions: hoderer

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess What Guys & Gals! I have truly excellent news for you!!!

I will be dropping a video tomorrow morning, on HOW to add games to your SNES Classic! You will see the entire process, up to being able to play them! It is a doozy guys and gals! And, it requires multiple steps! Hence, the not 100 percent user friendly moniker! But, I did extensive testing over the last few days, with the help of illadope, (who, like me, flashed several hundred times for our tests! I wanted to be sure it was absolutely safe to share this method without worry of soft-bricking! I have streamlined it, and will go through the entire shebang and many of you will be enjoying the ability to add custom SNES games to your SNES Classic, come tomorrow!!! Make sure you have pen and paper ready, you will need it

dragonzam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no change.
i try Illusion of time pal to ntsc patch and ntsc version
terranigma pal to ntsc version

they work until the Start screen and then black
That script is the one everyone else is using. If the game loads, you have likely converted the ROM properly -- the fact that it hangs after the start menu is either a problem with the source ROM or an actual emulation bug in canoe. Also, that script doesn't specifically address either of those two games.

It only has special header modifications for MMX 2, MMX 3, and Pilotwings.

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boy, I'm glad my TV decided to explode 3 days ago or my SNESC would be toast.. I have bad luck with frying things lol the Gods of Mods strike down on me with their lightning quite often.

If I wait for an official release I can buy another week or so before I brick it with that :rofl2:

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nothing, the script you uploaded is the one I'm talking about
the script work on the pc and not on the mini snes.
it convert the rom to sfrom format

That script is the one everyone else is using. If the game loads, you have likely converted the ROM properly -- the fact that it hangs after the start menu is either a problem with the source ROM or an actual emulation bug in canoe. Also, that script doesn't specifically address either of those two games.

It only has special header modifications for MMX 2, MMX 3, and Pilotwings.
the roms i have from terranigma and illusion of time works on every snes emulator that i have but not on the mini snes

dragonzam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the script work on the pc and not on the mini snes.
it convert the rom to sfrom format

the roms i have from terranigma and illusion of time works on every snes emulator that i have but not on the mini snes
Don't know what to tell you. You can experiment as we all have or just wait for the official release of the updated tool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: super monkey ball