Hackulous shuts down, Installous disabled...

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hackulous, the repository and forum scene for Installous and AppSync on jailbroken iOS devices, has shut down. On top of that, they put out a non-existant update for Installous, so that the app terminates due to it thinking it is "out of date," and the repository is no longer accessible to update anyway. So those with Installous can no longer use it, and new jailbreakers can no longer get it.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

We are very sad to announce that Hackulous is shutting down. After many years, our community has become stagnant and our forums are a bit of a ghost town. It has become difficult to keep them online and well-moderated, despite the devotion of our staff. We're incredibly thankful for the support we've had over the years and hope that new, greater communities blossom out of our absence.

With lots of love,
Hackulous Team

Some sites may see this as a victory, but for most of us I'm sure this a great loss.

Source
Continued reading...

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
That sucks, but the quality of service was decreasing, and I've pretty much lost interest in the iOS scene ages ago. I guess it's also safe to say, that apptrackr is down as well. As for AppSync, I'm sure there are mirrors for that somewhere.

Still, if you want to pirate apps, there is an excellent Chinese app (it has English as well) that is far better than Installous, with direct downloads and everything. That app shall remain unnamed.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, after playing around a bit, disabling the wifi connection allows it to load. It can't load anything to download, but I guess this makes it able to install apps sent to it by FTP over SSH. Finding said apps will now be slightly more difficult.

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this is shocking. I stopped using it anyway. Larger games were almost impossible to download since the file host downloads sucked so bad... I really don't even care, though. I use sites like gnomeescape, freemyapps, and freeappslots to earn credits in exchange for paid apps. Gets the games legit on my iTunes account so I get future updates and I'm not hoarding like I tend to do with piracy.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I hardly use it anymore (only play music on my ipod) so it doesn't bother me that much, I'm going to sell my ipod touch one day and get a SG note 2 for that is all I need :D

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I only use a Jailbreak for system functionality shut offs on iOS, mainly data since I don't have a data plan for my phone at the moment, so this doesn't bother me too much.

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to lie and act like I didn't have it installed, but it really is in a folder entitled "Useless Icons" within a folder (thanks to FolderEnhancer) and I never actually open the application. It's just kind of there. Every couple of months, I'll grab an app, but really, there's not much getting. The iPhone just isn't a gaming platform for me, and outside of a GPS, there's no utility that I need or even want.

And I'll hop on board with everyone else pointing out that Installous certainly wasn't the only way to get the deed done. It wasn't even the most efficient or reliable. It was just the easiest. If you're going to be a pirate, don't cry if it stops being easy. That's just ridiculous.

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My iPod touch is been sat pretty much untouched (hah) for month, so this is no great loss. Maybe one more reason to be done with it and sell the thing.

I freely admit I used Installous to death, but as someone pointed out using it for large aps required the patience of a a saint - if it worked at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*