Hacking Hacking The 3DS Via The Download Play Option?

biothundernxt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I admit that i don't really know that much about hacking consoles, but in theory, couldn't you write a custom driver for your WiFi adapter in your pc that allowed it to act like a 3DS offering a download play game, but was really an injected version that ran unsigned code or something like that?

This way wouldn't require any extra hardware.

I know this was tried at one point on the DS but what you could do with it was very limited because of the size of the amount data the DS could store.

But with the larger amounts of data being able to be stored on the 3DS, wouldn't it be alot easier, and possibly we could run a piece of unsigned code and have a softmod from there allowing code to be run from the SD card slot?

I know its probably alot more complicated than that and it is probably encrypted or something along those lines for protection, but its just an idea.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Slim chance, but unlikely.

Look at history:
Didn't happen on DS, or DSi.
No, it won't happen on 3DS.

Furthermore, why would the system allow access to the SD card slot for a downloaded title in this way?
There's only a need for games to have SD access if you own it, otherwise it's not useful and therefore only introduces a security risk, nothing more.

d235j

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It did happen on the DS due to lousy signature checking.

The 3DS uses WPA2-AES for Download Play and StreetPass, so this isn't an option.

L_o_N_e_R

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:

Look at history:

Furthermore, why would the system allow access to the SD card slot for a downloaded title in this way?
There's only a need for games to have SD access if you own it, otherwise it's not useful and therefore only introduces a security risk, nothing more.

Ever heard of wifime?

it ran homebrew from the gba slot using the download play option

it was very limiting, but it ran code that wasnt suppose to run

@bio there will be checksums implemented probably, so it wont be as easy as you think it is

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
d235j said:
It did happen on the DS due to lousy signature checking.

The 3DS uses WPA2-AES for Download Play and StreetPass, so this isn't an option.
Though they might be using wpa2, I don't know. It's unlikely though.

wpa2 would only serve to make the adhoc networking in streetpass and download play slower and yuck.
I think you're confusing game security and signature/crc/sha etc. checks with network security protocols.

QUOTE(L_o_N_e_R @ Apr 11 2011, 09:17 PM) Ever heard of wifime?

OIC, I never heard of it before.
Still I said it was possible.
tongue.gif

L_o_N_e_R

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah only reason why you probably never heard of it was because it was patched in system revisions

my old ds can do it until i flashed flashme on it

Jaden.

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just a question.

Have you explored what does the extra data on the SD? Maybe... Creating something that uses them, edit them to do a buffer overflow and that?

Or

Can't directly look how they work, when they're called and then edit them, make the Cart reads/edit it and then try to do a buffer overflow?

Sorry, i just have those ideas.

CherrySkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
Jaden. said:
Just a question.

Have you explored what does the extra data on the SD? Maybe... Creating something that uses them, edit them to do a buffer overflow and that?

Or

Can't directly look how they work, when they're called and then edit them, make the Cart reads/edit it and then try to do a buffer overflow?

Sorry, i just have those ideas.

That could have its own topic >.>
You'd need to unencrypt that Extra Data, and AFAIK no one can yet u.u... But once some way of unencrypting it is found, there might be a chance of doing something of value .-.

On Topic: the 3DS would need to be hacked to be able to run unsigned code... which would kinda defeat the purpose of hacking it via Download Play. Maybe it would work as an alternative? Just saying..

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
L_o_N_e_R said:
Nollog said:

Look at history:

Ever heard of wifime?

@bio there will be checksums implemented probably, so it wont be as easy as you think it is
No no no and and no. WiFiMe was possible BECAUSE the security key was broken FIRST.

Pip'

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1