• Thread starter Zorua
  • Start date
  • Views 2,997
  • Replies 20
Z

Zorua

OP
gmail-motion.png
If you happened upon the Internet Friday, you would have been faced with what has now become an annual tradition online: Technology companies trying to one-up each other with April Fool’s jokes posted online.

Google, for one, takes its April Fool’s gags very seriously. This year was no exception. Users of Gmail, Google’s e-mail service, were told about a new product, Gmail Motion, which would allow people to “control Gmail with your body!”

The company created an in-depth video explaining how this new mock service would work, where users could literally bounce around in front of their computer to sift through their inbox. Swinging a fist backward through the air would allow you to reply to a message; swinging two fists would reply-to-all; licking your hand — intended to be a stamp — and then tapping your right knee would send the message.

Of course this was all a joke. But hackers at the University of Southern California Institute for Creative Technologies wanted to make it a reality. To do this, a team of developers took a Microsoft Kinect sensor and some software they had built for previous projects and tied them together to create a fully working version of Gmail Motion.[/p]
icon11.gif
Source
icon24.gif
Video

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Google should be making voice recognition readily available for everyone instead of losing their time with kinect. I don't know anyone who use voice reconition on their computer and the technology has existed for ??? years. Do you?

Z

Zorua

OP
Magsor said:
Google should be making voice recognition readily available for everyone instead of losing their time with kinect. I don't know anyone who use voice reconition on their computer and the technology has existed for ??? years. Do you?

Nope, but I use it on my Android phone for Voice Dialing. It's really handy so I don't see why computers don't use it.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Zorua said:
Magsor said:

Nope, but I use it on my Android phone for Voice Dialing. It's really handy so I don't see why computers don't use it.
this won't work for me. for some reason, i find it hard to speak with a phone or pc. in fact, in my years of using a cell phone, i only had around 20 calls.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Magsor said:
Because unless you take the time to train a voice recognition app, the accuracy is less than desirable due to dialects and accents.

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
google didnt get pwned it was just a joke that was shown to be true its not a slam more like this can and will be done, i had suspicions that it could be done with kinect its just the right people had to set it up

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Magsor said:
I don't know anyone who use voice reconition on their computer and the technology has existed for ??? years. Do you?
I've tried it.
It's slower.
Speaking a sentence to have the computer click a button, versus clicking one yourself...

Speech stuff actually slows down normally-functioning people, that's why it's not used.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are times when it can be useful. For example, Voice Controls for Android is pretty nice, for example if you need to focus on driving rather than texting, or if you want to play an album without having to navigate through the whole collection. Even with computers, it can still be faster to dictate an e-mail or paper rather than type the whole thing, depending on how well the computer interprets your voice and how much you need to go back and correct.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try Dragon Naturally Speaking on your computer.
Then tell me voice recognition/commands should be implemented natively in computers.

alphenor

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
N
XP
Country
naved.islam14 said:
Wow, I remember being fooled by that one. But won't google like sue them for copying their idea?

Nope coz Google can't do so coz Google Motion was just a joke that would perhaps be made (by Google) into reality a few years later. And since they clearly stated that it was a joke, those hackers can do whatever they want.
smile.gif

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
naved.islam14 said:
Wow, I remember being fooled by that one. But won't google like sue them for copying their idea?
Yeah, they must have copyrighted the fuck out of Google Motion and would definitely see suing these copycat hackers as a great chance to boost their reputation.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Thesolcity said:
Try Dragon Naturally Speaking on your computer.
Then tell me voice recognition/commands should be implemented natively in computers.

I have...and I have found that Voice Recognition software is for the technically inept and/or people who can't type with any amount of speed. I can type way faster than Dragon can spit out words.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really...