Hacker Tears Apart Super Mario Game & Watch To Find Out What's

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm impressed that nintendo got the emulator and everything to fit into 128 kilobytes of space, but then again the entirety super mario bros is only 32 kilobytes. I'm really interested to see what a few select people can do with this if it ever gets hacked, though I feel like the uses will be super limited due to the hardware and technical know-how that you'll need to ever write to the flash memory.

Last edited by orangy57,

loler55

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm impressed that nintendo got the emulator and everything to fit into 128 kilobytes of space, but then again the entirety super mario bros is only 32 kilobytes. I'm really interested to see what a few select people can do with this if it ever gets hacked, though I feel like the uses will be super limited due to the hardware and technical know-how that you'll need to ever write to the flash memory.
no idea how the enduser can do it
but it has usb c and someone can find a way to activate it

Reactions: orangy57

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Most likely direct assembly language. Saves up space by a lot.
Nothing interesting nor groundbreaking I assume.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country

You might want to look at PocketNES then as both it and Super Mario Brothers could probably fit within 128 kilobytes as-is. Even more so if you were to remove the cheat finder and save state stuff and only support a single save state, or for ultimate savings rip out the code for all the mappers except the game you want to run as well.
In fact if you were running PocketNES with a 192K or smaller ROM you could actually yank out the GBA flash cart after choosing the "go multiboot" option and it would still run just fine (though technically the GBA actually had a total of 384K of RAM not 256K).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Most likely direct assembly language. Saves up space by a lot.
Nothing interesting nor groundbreaking I assume.

Yeah. PocketNES or even better a stripped down version of PocketNES (no cheat finder, only one save state, remove the code for mappers that the game doesn't use) could easily do it.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I’m surprised they went with something small flash wise, compared to say the NES Classic.

I wonder if someone will eventually find a way to replace the flash chip with something larger?

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I’m surprised they went with something small flash wise, compared to say the NES Classic.

I wonder if someone will eventually find a way to replace the flash chip with something larger?

Yeah, though considering you can get a Bittboy/PocketgoV1/PowkiddyV90 plus 64GB SD card for cheaper than this thing and it can handle most 8 and 16 bit games (though forget about special chip SNES games except Dungeon Master and it struggles with mode 7 if transparency is enabled) I don't think many people will bother. Or spend $10 more on a RK2020 and get the ability to do all that including special chip SNES, PS1, and most DS games and many PSP games.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, though considering you can get a Bittboy/PocketgoV1/PowkiddyV90 plus 64GB SD card for cheaper than this thing and it can handle most 8 and 16 bit games (though forget about special chip SNES games except Dungeon Master and it struggles with mode 7 if transparency is enabled) I don't think many people will bother. Or spend $10 more on a RK2020 and get the ability to do all that including special chip SNES, PS1, and most DS games and many PSP games.

Yeah, but that wouldn’t be fun for hackers/Youtubers/etc.

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very neat, however probably not useful to most people considering the console is rare and collectible, to increase storage size would probably require fine soldering, and there's many devices you can easily obtain for emulating NES well (DS with a flashcart, PSP, most Android phones + a cheap bluetooth controller or Wiimote, a 3DS.. I could go on).. Although I would like to see if anyone could do anything REALLY weird with it, like dumping the firmware and porting its recreations of the G&W games to other consoles, or finding a way to use it as a wired controller for something. Incredibly unlikely, but it's fun to let your imagination run wild with weird hardware like this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-