QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This includes Bluetooth devices?
To be honest I'm not sure.
I'm assuming everything input-related might be affected, but it's better to update every homebrew app possible with the new libnx build to avoid possible subsequent issues.

I'm holding on on each fgsfds app to be updated to update all my Switch homebrews asap. :P

Reactions: cucholix

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey fgsfds, the homebrew app MTP Server NX implemented something called "lazy loading", which helps speed up the loading time of the app.
This is the related commit:
https://github.com/retronx-team/mtp-server-nx/commit/8df581252f048f1424364ac513c62c5d818af338

Maybe this could help to make GzDoom on Switch load somewhat faster.

Also, aside from that, how do I enable dynamic lighting and particles effects on this app?
I tried enabling them through options but got no changes in-game :/

Reactions: M7L7NK7

Jonok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
This is the perfect occasion to share my setting for the perfect experience of Vanilla Doom when i use GZDoom on PC:
Mod list:
Smootdoom for the graphic
Stop music on death for personal preference
Arachno Soundfont for making the MIDI sound good
settings: 360x270 resolution (It work only on window mode)
up/down looking, no jump only duck if you want a "dodge" button

adding mod is a piece of cake when you learn how to edit the inside ini

two thing i would add, how to customize controls and delete the unwanted buttons? Also Gyrocontrol for aiming when?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is the perfect occasion to share my setting for the perfect experience of Vanilla Doom when i use GZDoom on PC:
Mod list:
Smootdoom for the graphic
Stop music on death for personal preference
Arachno Soundfont for making the MIDI sound good
settings: 360x270 resolution (It work only on window mode)
up/down looking, no jump only duck if you want a "dodge" button

adding mod is a piece of cake when you learn how to edit the inside ini

two thing i would add, how to customize controls and delete the unwanted buttons? Also Gyrocontrol for aiming when?
How do you setup Smoothdoom with GzDoom Switch?
Also, do you happen to know how to enable the particle effects and dynamic lighting in this?
I have played around with the settings but haven't been able to get those working at all.

Jonok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
How do you setup Smoothdoom with GzDoom Switch?
Also, do you happen to know how to enable the particle effects and dynamic lighting in this?
I have played around with the settings but haven't been able to get those working at all.

you can use this guide for any mod, dowload Smoothdoom.pk3 and place it in the gzdoom folder, insite there is an ini called gzdoom.ini and that's your main source to say what mod you want to load, is structure simple enough so if you want ALWAYS to use Smooth Doom with any of your mods find [Global.Autoload] and write in the line below "Path=SmoothDoom.pk3" (basically you are writing the directory), if you want to use it only with specific wads look down below there are setting for all the official wads.

for the Dynamic light is a thing about preference, inside the game you go Option>Display option>Hardware render inside here you can control the intensity of all the lighting and special effects my preference are:
"Sector light mode" you can adjust the ammount of light by profile
"Weapon light strength" on 16 (how much light you are gonna create each shot)
go inside Postprocessing and activate Bloom (now some object gonna have bloom)

for Particle effect you check always in Hardware render Particle Style, you probably like "smooth" but i prefer "square"
go back in Display option and check below there are 3 option called "Rocket Trails" "Blood Type" "Bullet Puff Type" and you set all by "Particles"

I usually stop here, i know there are many other option but Doom is an old game it doent need more than that in my opinion, default GZDoom is quite an ass to see.

aboreal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there,

Someone has tried and compared this GZDOOM with the official port? Which of two its better?

CHEERS!

Jonok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Hi there,

Someone has tried and compared this GZDOOM with the official port? Which of two its better?

CHEERS!
As i saw from some footage

Doom switch port:
+ easy to install and play
- no mod support
- lighting is not as the original
- not real 16:9 with side bar
- no extended graphic option
- slower music midi

GZDoom:
- having to lose a little bit of time to optimize at best the port
+ mod support
+ you can watch up and down
+ real 16:9
+ extended graphic capebility, you can have dynamic lighting for example
+ original speed for the music midi
+ can swap with any soundfont so you can improve all the music and don't sound like windows 95 crap

for me is a no brainer choice, if you want the original experience anyway i suggest you to try Chocolate Doom for switch instead of the lazy port.

Last edited by Jonok,
D

Deleted User

As i saw from some footage

Doom switch port:
+ easy to install and play
- no mod support
- lighting is not as the original
- not real 16:9 with side bar
- no extended graphic option
- slower music midi

GZDoom:
- having to lose a little bit of time to optimize at best the port
+ mod support
+ you can watch up and down
+ real 16:9
+ extended graphic capebility, you can have dynamic lighting for example
+ original speed for the music midi
+ can swap with any soundfont so you can improve all the music and don't sound like windows 95 crap

for me is a no brainer choice, if you want the original experience anyway i suggest you to try Chocolate Doom for switch instead of the lazy port.

bethesda is fixing the midi problem but i 100% agree that if gzdoom fixed its loading problems it would be the best way to play doom on switch. if you ignore that loading issue though, it's pretty much the optimal way.

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
bethesda is fixing the midi problem but i 100% agree that if gzdoom fixed its loading problems it would be the best way to play doom on switch. if you ignore that loading issue though, it's pretty much the optimal way.
Odamex is pretty good too; based on older ZDoom but if all you need is DOOM, then...

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
you can use this guide for any mod, dowload Smoothdoom.pk3 and place it in the gzdoom folder, insite there is an ini called gzdoom.ini and that's your main source to say what mod you want to load, is structure simple enough so if you want ALWAYS to use Smooth Doom with any of your mods find [Global.Autoload] and write in the line below "Path=SmoothDoom.pk3" (basically you are writing the directory), if you want to use it only with specific wads look down below there are setting for all the official wads.

for the Dynamic light is a thing about preference, inside the game you go Option>Display option>Hardware render inside here you can control the intensity of all the lighting and special effects my preference are:
"Sector light mode" you can adjust the ammount of light by profile
"Weapon light strength" on 16 (how much light you are gonna create each shot)
go inside Postprocessing and activate Bloom (now some object gonna have bloom)

for Particle effect you check always in Hardware render Particle Style, you probably like "smooth" but i prefer "square"
go back in Display option and check below there are 3 option called "Rocket Trails" "Blood Type" "Bullet Puff Type" and you set all by "Particles"

I usually stop here, i know there are many other option but Doom is an old game it doent need more than that in my opinion, default GZDoom is quite an ass to see.
Thank you SO much for that!
I was able to get WadSmoosh with ALL of the official Doom content (Final Doom 1+Sewers+Episode 4+Sigil v1.2, Doom 2+Betray+TNT+Plutonia+No Rest for the Living+Master Levels) alongside Smooth Doom, and also got all of the lighting effects and particles now working! Witha bit of frame drops when things get too chaotic, but I'm loving it!

Thanks! :D

Reactions: Jonok

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you SO much for that!
I was able to get WadSmoosh with ALL of the official Doom content (Final Doom 1+Sewers+Episode 4+Sigil v1.2, Doom 2+Betray+TNT+Plutonia+No Rest for the Living+Master Levels) alongside Smooth Doom, and also got all of the lighting effects and particles now working! Witha bit of frame drops when things get too chaotic, but I'm loving it!

Thanks! :D

Can you upload your wadsmooshed wad to mediafire or something? I'm too lazy to grab them all and do it.

Jonok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt

If by "loading issue" you mean the delay having every time you load a music file that's a problem about FluidSynth, go in Option-Sound option-look for "MIDI DEVICE" and set it in Timidity++, the OP should take note about this issue.

Reactions: Deleted User

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If by "loading issue" you mean the delay having every time you load a music file that's a problem about FluidSynth, go in Option-Sound option-look for "MIDI DEVICE" and set it in Timidity++, the OP should take note about this issue.
He means the long loading times to actually load any wad with GzDoom on Switch.
It takes like 10+ seconds to load any wad at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)