ROM Hack Gyakuten Saiban 1-3 Translation

h3rmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
We appreciate your intentions to help, but we had a reason for not creating a Discord server for this project so far.

Please understand that we are doing this as a hobby in our free time and we have our lives to live too. Up until recently it was just a 1-man project that I was doing on my leisure, and now it's just a 2-man project. We are not working on this on a daily basis, and we can certainly not give daily reports about our progress or answer to questions to everyone individually, over and over again.

We are more than glad to get feedback and answer questions here, in this thread, and we are always reporting our progress here everytime we complete a milestone of the project. It is easier for us not to miss things, while not having to be constantly available on a daily basis.

On that note, we're still working on case 3 of GS1, and we are very close to completion. You can expect a release of a new patch, including case 3 plus several fixes and improvements of the previous cases soon. Of course, these will include everything that has been reported so far in the current thread.

Thank you all for your support and patience :)

Last edited by h3rmit,

TSP184

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello. I'd like to ask some questions after trying the translation for Gyakuten Saiban 1 :
- Is there a reason why the exclamations (Objection, Hold it, Take that) are small ?
- Is it possible to have the voice clips unchanged, while keeping the English translation for both Gyakuten Saiban 1 and 3 ?

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello. I'd like to ask some questions after trying the translation for Gyakuten Saiban 1 :
- Is there a reason why the exclamations (Objection, Hold it, Take that) are small ?
- Is it possible to have the voice clips unchanged, while keeping the English translation for both Gyakuten Saiban 1 and 3 ?
1. I assume they're small because that's how they were on the original GBA version.
2. Possible? Definitely, but it's up to the devs to do it.

OmegaTheGreat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
You can make the bubbles a little bit bigger (Not to the point of occuping the whole screen though).

If you wanted to make them use the whole screen, it would eat some game tiles, it's all connected, so it's basically impossible to make them that big without altering the code of the game.

As for the voices, ofc that's available, it's just up to h3rmit and Spazzery to handle that. You could ask for it to them.

Here's an example of how big you can make the bubbles without breaking the tiles:
5728screenshot1.png

Last edited by OmegaTheGreat,

JSilva32

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello. I don't know if this is added, but there is a suggestion I like to see implemented in this translation.

I think I suggested this like four years ago, but it concerns the dialog boxes. The GBA version of the Ace Attorney Trilogy uses two lines of text, but the DS version uses three lines of text for the English script. From what I've heard, it's difficult to get three lines of text in the GBA version. Currently, you can see the first and second lines of text at the same time, but not the second and third because the third line of text is in a different dialog box. My suggestion is to instead, scroll the text up. That way, the third line of text can be displayed in the same dialog box. This is something I've seen in various games that use two lines of text.

To break this down, if there are more than two lines of text, the first two lines of text are printed on the screen as usual. When transitioning to the third line (that is when A is pressed, or automatic when applicable), the text currently printed scrolls up. The first line of text should disappear as it scrolls up, and the second line should be in the same place as where the first line of text originally was. When the scrolling is done, the third line of text is then printed in the same area the second line was originally.

This is something I would like to see one day in this translation, if it is possible.

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello. I don't know if this is added, but there is a suggestion I like to see implemented in this translation.

I think I suggested this like four years ago, but it concerns the dialog boxes. The GBA version of the Ace Attorney Trilogy uses two lines of text, but the DS version uses three lines of text for the English script. From what I've heard, it's difficult to get three lines of text in the GBA version. Currently, you can see the first and second lines of text at the same time, but not the second and third because the third line of text is in a different dialog box. My suggestion is to instead, scroll the text up. That way, the third line of text can be displayed in the same dialog box. This is something I've seen in various games that use two lines of text.

To break this down, if there are more than two lines of text, the first two lines of text are printed on the screen as usual. When transitioning to the third line (that is when A is pressed, or automatic when applicable), the text currently printed scrolls up. The first line of text should disappear as it scrolls up, and the second line should be in the same place as where the first line of text originally was. When the scrolling is done, the third line of text is then printed in the same area the second line was originally.

This is something I would like to see one day in this translation, if it is possible.
That would require very high hacking and reverse-engineering skills, and a lot of time, I doubt they would bother doing that. Two lines is fine anyway, that's how it was originally, there's no need to change it.

Spazzery

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia

I had this idea myself as well at one point, like how text scrolls for example in 999. However, as Lycanroc said, this would take much more effort than it's worth. Having 3 lines of text at once is probably more simple to do.

JSilva32

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That would require very high hacking and reverse-engineering skills, and a lot of time, I doubt they would bother doing that. Two lines is fine anyway, that's how it was originally, there's no need to change it.
I guess you have a point there. I only suggested this because most games I saw that used two lines of text had this feature, and I thought it would be cool to have. I admit this is a relatively minor thing to add, and if this takes up too much time, I'll not ask about it anymore.

Last edited by JSilva32,

OmegaTheGreat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hi H3rmit and Omega,

Just wanted to post and say thanks for your hard work. There must be many more like me who are enjoying the GBA version but have not posted to give thanks.

Please keep up the hard work.
Those thanks should be given to Spazzery, not me.
I DO translate the GBA version, but to Spanish, unlike h3rmit and Spazzery, who are the real heroes here xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGhImEo-u9Y