ROM Hack Gyakuten Saiban 1-3 Translation

Chris_Dai_Gyakuten_Saiban

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello everyone!

Today we're happy to announce that we are releasing case 3! It has been a WHILE since the last update, but at least it’s now rather than never. You can download the patch here:

Gyakuten Saiban 1 Patch 005

Alternative link here

A lot of improvements have been made behind the scenes, some of them being:

The text save/load function works properly now!

Yes, it finally works like it should. Meaning, if you save and load the game later, the screen you're on should have the text you saved on (before it was just blank until you pressed A to advance the text). This improvement was made possible thanks to MCboy and The Salvation Phoenix, so thanks guys!

Other big news: every case up to case 3 has been „DS-ized“!

This means that we have added all the improvements the English DS scripts add: screen shakes, flashes, sounds etc., into the GBA scripts. The Japanese GBA scripts were lacking many of these, so in a way, it’s superior playing our English patch over the original Japanese version.

Other improvements we have made:

1. Text centering. Thanks to clever engineering by h3rmit and MCboy, we have a way to center text, such as testimony screens, locations, people saying something etc.
2. The typewriter sounds sound better (the green location text).
3. The music plays at more appropriate times, just like in the DS version.
4. The green typewriter text is now in two lines instead of three.
5. It's something related to the sound blips. Can you notice it? Let us know. :D

The bugs you've noticed and we've fixed (thanks for the reports!):

* Report by: @soratheultima, Jan 5, 2020 here
Fixed the lack of text-centering.

* Report by: @Ihavegbasp, Feb 23, 2020 here
Fixed cut-off "Select" button when forced to present evidence.

* Report by: @beegLumbo, Apr 3, 2020 here
Fixed a missing <music> control code in case 1.

* Report by: @CowboyJoseph64, Apr 16, 2020 here
Fixed: a missing <fademusic> control code in case 2; a small extra scene that was added in the DS at the end of case 2 (judge talking normally and not over the gavel), and comments about the legibility of case tiles "rn = m".

* Report by: @soratheultima, Jan 6, 2020 (private message)
Fixed case 2 lip syncing bug.

If you encounter any bugs, let us (h3rmit or me) know. The more precise you can be, the better.

That's all for now! :)
Yes! This is awesome, now I can finish the next case in english! Thanks guys for your awesome work, looking forward to Gyakuten Saiban 2 english patch!

Reactions: OmegaTheGreat

AshuraMage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello everyone!

Today we're happy to announce that we are releasing case 3! It has been a WHILE since the last update, but at least it’s now rather than never. You can download the patch here:

Alternative link here

Yes, it finally works like it should. Meaning, if you save and load the game later, the screen you're on should have the text you saved on (before it was just blank until you pressed A to advance the text). This improvement was made possible thanks to MCboy and The Salvation Phoenix, so thanks guys!

This means that we have added all the improvements the English DS scripts add: screen shakes, flashes, sounds etc., into the GBA scripts. The Japanese GBA scripts were lacking many of these, so in a way, it’s superior playing our English patch over the original Japanese version.

1. Text centering. Thanks to clever engineering by h3rmit and MCboy, we have a way to center text, such as testimony screens, locations, people saying something etc.
5. It's something related to the sound blips. Can you notice it? Let us know. :D

Fixed: a missing <fademusic> control code in case 2; a small extra scene that was added in the DS at the end of case 2 (judge talking normally and not over the gavel), and comments about the legibility of case tiles "rn = m".

If you encounter any bugs, let us (h3rmit or me) know. The more precise you can be, the better.

FINALLY, OH SHIT I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW, THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO WORKED ON THIS

Deleted member 532471

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so it's being made more like the DS one?
tbh i thought it would be nicer to experience the game as it was originally conceived..

Hello everyone!

Alternative link here

OmegaTheGreat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
tbh i thought it would be nicer to experience the game as it was originally conceived..
It has been said multiple times that this project is just a port of the DS games to the GBA, what h3rmit and Spazzery meant by making it "more DS like", is adding all the stuff the GBA version doesn't have compared to the DS version (like sound effects, screen effects, shakes, changing some sprites or music in some parts, etc.)
If you compare the new patch to the old ones, you'll see the many things they've added for the scripts to make them a lot more dynamic and DS like :)

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I suppose that once the final english patch for AA1 is out, that there will be a Gyakuten Saiban 2 english translation in the "near" future?
Now I would like to thank all of you's here who have helped to translate the game, and it's all thanks to you guys, that I can experience my childhood, and this game did make me laugh alot, keep up the good work!

Reactions: AshuraMage

Spazzery

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Yes. Being more like the DS version makes the game more livelier and catchier. It adds more flashes, screen shakes and sound effects.

However, the idea of retaining the originality has been on our minds too, and thus we wont change the court backgrounds to the newer ones. The newer ones are more detailed, but I wanted to keep the old ones so you get the feeling of playing GS1 on GBA, but with the added quality of life improvements.

RealGaea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hello everyone!

Alternative link here

I have found a problem in Case 2: When confronting Redd White in Day 2 - Investigation and showing him the Suicide Paper and picking the option "blackmail", the dialogue goes in a loop. Can't advance from that point.

lovelessrapture

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey great job on the newest version of the first game! It's absolutely awesome getting to play the GBA version of this game. I've always loved this series and have brought it multiple times, but it's great fun to see how the original looked and played.

I noticed a couple of things but I was playing on a less than accurate emulator so apologies if some of the glitches can't be replicated.

So in Case 2, Day 3 - Trial when challenging Redd White about his knowledge of the Glass Light Stand, you're asked if you should object to something he's said, the options are the wrong way around. Choosing object makes you follow the wait and see dialogue path, and vice versa. I also have a feeling in the versions I've played the options are:- No problem, Big Problemo. But maybe I'm misremembering the game there?

I've tried to attach a link to my save file that shows this point in the game. The forum wouldn't let me upload a .srm or .sav file or a hyperlink though! So any ideas how I can get around that?

I also found during case 3, day 3's investigation going into the dressing room and I think the Studio One entrance, the green typewriter sound effect was too fast? I need to replay the case again so I can send you a copy of the save file link.

And lastly on the same case and day, when you see Gumshoe in the Employee Area and the Trailer when he does his scratch head animation, his arm and part of his head's textured turned into garbled japanese text. But I need to get to that part of the game again to take a screenshot on a different emulator. It could well be my emulator I was using.

Otherwise, this is a cracking patch and I am very impressed by all the hard work and hours that has gone into this and the GS3 patch. Thank you so much for everyone involved in it.

Also I like that you're doing the game as is and not attaching the 5th case honestly. The second game will make more sense than the DS trilogy, as the 5th case undoes the side plot of the second game where Phoenix is ambiguous and reluctant to talk about Edgeworth (implying that he may have died after game 1 case 4). In the DS version having played case 5 we know it's not what's happened. But in the original versions it makes that side plot make more sense.

Last edited by lovelessrapture,

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey great job on the newest version of the first game! It's absolutely awesome getting to play the GBA version of this game. I've always loved this series and have brought it multiple times, but it's great fun to see how the original looked and played.

I noticed a couple of things but I was playing on a less than accurate emulator so apologies if some of the glitches can't be replicated.

So in Case 2, Day 3 - Trial when challenging Redd White about his knowledge of the Glass Light Stand, you're asked if you should object to something he's said, the options are the wrong way around. Choosing object makes you follow the wait and see dialogue path, and vice versa. I also have a feeling in the versions I've played the options are:- No problem, Big Problemo. But maybe I'm misremembering the game there?

I've tried to attach a link to my save file that shows this point in the game. The forum wouldn't let me upload a .srm or .sav file or a hyperlink though! So any ideas how I can get around that?

I also found during case 3, day 3's investigation going into the dressing room and I think the Studio One entrance, the green typewriter sound effect was too fast? I need to replay the case again so I can send you a copy of the save file link.

And lastly on the same case and day, when you see Gumshoe in the Employee Area and the Trailer when he does his scratch head animation, his arm and part of his head's textured turned into garbled japanese text. But I need to get to that part of the game again to take a screenshot on a different emulator. It could well be my emulator I was using.

Otherwise, this is a cracking patch and I am very impressed by all the hard work and hours that has gone into this and the GS3 patch. Thank you so much for everyone involved in it.

Also I like that you're doing the game as is and not attaching the 5th case honestly. The second game will make more sense than the DS trilogy, as the 5th case undoes the side plot of the second game where Phoenix is ambiguous and reluctant to talk about Edgeworth (implying that he may have died after game 1 case 4). In the DS version having played case 5 we know it's not what's happened. But in the original versions it makes that side plot make more sense.
It may be due to the version of the rom you patched and the emulator used, or if used on hardware these may contribute to these errors. Also the correct rom requirement is (the version you will need is J light force copy). As for getting around sharing the save files try using something like google docs or mega or mediashare.

lovelessrapture

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It may be due to the version of the rom you patched and the emulator used, or if used on hardware these may contribute to these errors. Also the correct rom requirement is (the version you will need is J light force copy). As for getting around sharing the save files try using something like google docs or mega or mediashare.

Yeah on my first playthrough I was using a version of gpSP as I was playing on a raspberry pi zero build. I'm buzzing back through those points in the game on mgba on retroarch to have a check if the errors were emulator related. That dialogue tree path I've managed to replicate on retroarch at least.

But yeah, I've got a Google drive link to the glass light stand save file, but the forum doesn't allow me to post anything with a hyperlink at all (I don't think my karma is high enough as I've barely ever posted on here before).

Edit:- oh I forgot to ask, what's the md5 or checksum of the Japanese rom we should be patching?

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah on my first playthrough I was using a version of gpSP as I was playing on a raspberry pi zero build. I'm buzzing back through those points in the game on mgba on retroarch to have a check if the errors were emulator related. That dialogue tree path I've managed to replicate on retroarch at least.

But yeah, I've got a Google drive link to the glass light stand save file, but the forum doesn't allow me to post anything with a hyperlink at all (I don't think my karma is high enough as I've barely ever posted on here before).

Edit:- oh I forgot to ask, what's the md5 or checksum of the Japanese rom we should be patching?
It usually would have made a mention of it in the readme, not too sure if it is there anymore, but one thing is certain it has to be Gyakuten Saiban (J) Lightforce if you come across a rom by that name, that is the one you want, as for verifying MD5 and checksum, I try and see if there is any program that could find that type of info or you could try researching it on the internet, and as a side note, welcome to GBA temp!

Reactions: lovelessrapture

lovelessrapture

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So looking at it, it seems my post counts had to go above 5 to post hyperlinks so my next post will be google drive links to my 2 save files. I couldn't replicate the Gumshoe graphical glitch, it is indeed something specific gpSP. But the fast text and the question dialogue path mistake works on both my version of the japan rom I found and the lightforce version I've found online.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YlqUpDfgoidPPTE8JHBNkG7ajZOrCQJn/view?usp=sharing - This is the save for the fast text. From here go to outside studio one and you'll see what I mean

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N4JGKboq3wE1hw2gFb60ZdftQXRMdeny/view?usp=sharing - This is the save during Case 2 where the choices should be No Problemo and Big Problemo I think. Either way the choices are the wrong way around

Edit:- @h3rmit and @Spazzery just a heads up

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So looking at it, it seems my post counts had to go above 5 to post hyperlinks so my next post will be google drive links to my 2 save files. I couldn't replicate the Gumshoe graphical glitch, it is indeed something specific gpSP. But the fast text and the question dialogue path mistake works on both my version of the japan rom I found and the lightforce version I've found online.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YlqUpDfgoidPPTE8JHBNkG7ajZOrCQJn/view?usp=sharing - This is the save for the fast text. From here go to outside studio one and you'll see what I mean

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N4JGKboq3wE1hw2gFb60ZdftQXRMdeny/view?usp=sharing - This is the save during Case 2 where the choices should be No Problemo and Big Problemo I think. Either way, the choices are the wrong way around
Ok thanks, also be sure to tell this to either of the developers by sending a message here or through a private message. I will also go check out the saves myself, these issues you mentioned could be glitches that were introduced through the english romhack

xXXCristhianXXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
wow, I haven't been back here for a long time, anyway, the progress of the project is very noticeable, unfortunately my Spanish translation died so to speak due to the time I don't have but, of that at least I can share something I did, the new GS1 background for the court scenes, if anyone is interested, they would have no problem sharing them and they can play it on their gba with whatever gs1 rom they have.

GS1-spanish-1630338006503.png
GS1-spanish-1630338556745.png
gs1extra-1599287186728.png
20210830-122259.gif
20210830-123619.gif

Last edited by xXXCristhianXXx,
Reactions: natsume_ronin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.