ROM Hack Gyakuten Saiban 1-3 Translation

That2Things

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Amazing work guys. I'm looking forward to AA2 being ported so the trilogy can be played on lower power devices. It's nothing short of a miracle to have these games ported to english on the GBA after so many years. Please don't feel rushed to finish it ASAP, as long as the project doesn't wind up abandoned. Thank you so much for your efforts.

Last edited by That2Things,

AdPro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question.
Since the GBA Spanish Fan-Translation managed to add an additional third vertical line for the text box,
I was wondering if anything similar could be done for this English Fan-Translation?

h3rmit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have a question.
Since the GBA Spanish Fan-Translation managed to add an additional third vertical line for the text box,
I was wondering if anything similar could be done for this English Fan-Translation?

Hi there.

Well, that was meant to be a surprise, but now that the cat is out of the bag, we can no longer hide or deny it.

A lot of effort has been put behind the scenes into bringing 3 lines back into the English GBA port of GS1. We closely worked with MCBoy and PhoenixBound (disassembly/decompilation/authoring of original code) and @OmegaTheGreat (Spanish translation) for a long time to completely rewrite the Variable-width font routine and bring it to a whole new level, allowing 3-lines, text-centering, faster rendering, reloading the text after saving and reloading the, and even making the text sound much closer to the DS version.

The Spanish translation made a release earlier, so it featured it first.

Me and Spazzery have been considering to provide two versions of the English patch: a 2-line one and a 3-line one. Ofc all the scripts of the game and some graphics will have to be re-adjusted for 3 lines of text in the latter, so it will come a little later than the 2-lines version, which is already very close to completion.

Since the patch that will feature case 4 will mark the completion of the game, and will be the final release, we've been planning to polish every corner of the same before releasing it. But if anyone would be interested in playing a pre-final, potentially buggy, Alpha preview of the complete game, we could provide a Alpha release a lot earlier, for you to test and report back any issues you find.

Reactions: SpaceLion and cearp

AdPro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah okay lolol
Sorry for spoiling the surprise then
Me and a few friends were wondering about this for a while, and so I thought it'd be best to ask to know for sure
I'm really happy that this is happening, I'll be looking forward to the next update of the patch! ^ ^

EDIT: Also, I'd be down for an Alpha release version!

Last edited by AdPro,

LoganC

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Happy new year guys!

The work you guys do on this is so unbelievably impressive. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication! I was wondering if the alpha preview of the game was out yet for testing?

Ilikegbastuff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In case one, the not guilty verdict text is kind of messed up. Instead of it saying NOT GUILTY, it instead says NOTG UILTY. Can this be fixed?
Post automatically merged:

I'd show a screenshot, but the rosalina menu doesn't open when the 3ds is running a gba game

Anti-Apple4life

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In case one, the not guilty verdict text is kind of messed up. Instead of it saying NOT GUILTY, it instead says NOTG UILTY. Can this be fixed?

That will be hard to do because of the actual code in the Japanese version. As shown in the attached image, the final verdict is shown in the Japanese version by displaying two Kanji characters, and this seems to be hard coded. The English Not Guilty texture was just placed over the texture of the two Kanji, as somewhat of a workaround. To fix this, that entire piece of code would need to be rewritten.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240225_162230_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240225_162230_YouTube.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Spazzery

Ilikegbastuff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyone know how I can take a screenshot on my 3ds when it's running a gba game? there's a bug I found, but it's too hard to describe it without a screenshot.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there's a bug I found, but it's too hard to describe it without a screenshot.
Wouldn't it be easiest just to take a picture with your phone?

You might be able to take a screenshot by using GBARunner2 in TWiLight Menu, or by running mGBA, but I do not think it is possible with VC injects or open_agb_firm.

Ilikegbastuff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't it be easiest just to take a picture with your phone?

You might be able to take a screenshot by using GBARunner2 in TWiLight Menu, or by running mGBA, but I do not think it is possible with VC injects or open_agb_firm.
I could use a phone but the image would be too fuzzy, so I'll try the twilight menu when I have time. Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm...