Hacking GW multirom demo

Icepotter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think that they are right when it comes to ruin the competition plans, but I also think they're doing it in a wrong way, bricking end users 3DS's. There are plenty of ways to stop the piracy (rofl... of a company turned to piracy)

They could maybe place a lock on the 3DS if you ever uses a clone card, making it impossible to run the launcher if you don't have Gateway Original cartridge. And the key to unlock it is on gateway original cartridge... Or even force a system update if a clone card is detected, teaching that person a lesson.

Anyway, even if i trust that their firmware is safe to use as long you have an original Gateway Cartridge, i think is better to be safe than sorry, and stop using it until everything comes clear.

I'm currently playing my retail games using sysnand, guess i'll have to wait a little longer to play pokemon on EmuNAND to avoid updating the system version.

By the way, It seems very odd to me that a bricking code has been found on the original launcher, and even now no source code has been published to prove it yet (sorry, but a if statement line doesn't prove anything)

I think that the whole situation has forced them to release the teaser to calm things down, but 2.0 doesn't seems to be available any time soon...

wiewcw

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not bad but for me it is still not perfect device... no homebrew for me is useless. But risk of brick also gives me red alert for getting it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
He kept turning his fingers away.

I think this is the real question we should be asking ourselves: is MultiROM simply a feature to keep us distracted from the fact that they've run out of red nail polish?
3728-oh-dear-god.jpg

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what our users will soon be able to enjoy on their Gateway system:
- Integrated menu system
- Emu-Nand with up to date compatibility
- Back up your own game cartridges
- Nand based titles compatibility
- Fat32 based drag & drop Multi-Rom
- New real time save system
- Bricks

fixed

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If there's really an FPGA update and you apply it, you probably won't be able to go back to 1.0 - 2.0b2 software anymore. I doubt they will release their current FPGA's code for users to downgrade it.
If their new 2.0 contains the brick code (which I'm sure it will) and you only want to test multiROM once, you will be stuck with the 2.0 and brick code. You won't be able to put 1.2 or 2.0b1 anymore.

edit:
As advice I could give you: Don't be too eager to update your card right away without understanding all the risks and what it will imply.

If you intend to still use old software version, be sure that they are still compatible with their newer FPGA code.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If there's really an FPGA update and you apply it, you probably won't be able to go back to 1.0 - 2.0b2 software anymore. I doubt they will release their current FPGA's code for users to downgrade it.
If their new 2.0 contains the brick code (which I'm sure it will) and you only want to test multiROM once, you will be stuck with the 2.0 and brick code. You won't be able to put 1.2 or 2.0b1 anymore.

edit:
As advice I could give you: Don't be too eager to update your card right away without understanding all the risks and what it will imply.
Welp, basically guys, when the firmware releases, if it does update the FPGA, this is the turning point. There will be no turning back.

This is definitely one update I will not do with rush. I rather wait.

MrOldboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of microsds... have people reached a conclusion about 64gb compatibility or should i stick with 32gb maximum size?

I asked the same thing and most said just get a 32gb as SDXC can have some issues. 32gb seems like plenty for me anyways as I don't intend to play more than maybe 5 or so games at once.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

edit:

If you intend to still use old software version, be sure that they are still compatible with their newer FPGA code.

Only one way to fix the problem - dump the current Gateway code and "have a look" at how they're updating it. ;)
Like'd for the avatar, not so much the content of the post. ;)

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
well, we now need to ask GW Team for a downgrader, they have tended some success decrypting the N3DS, if they have total access on the firmware, they should get an idea of how downgrade it for us who Upgrade before knowing about GateWay, maybe some e-mail could make to take some actions into this case... who is with me?

longgt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks so sweet :lol: But as always, i don't expect to see it until March, i'm used to GW's habit of delay anyway :rofl2:

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For all the people saying they should change the brick code instead of simply removing it, here's the problem: people with Gateway carts have gotten bricks too. This is clearly telling that bugs and glitches are commonplace in coding. For whoever said to make the console upgrade to the latest version to teach them a lesson, imagine this: you wake up one morning to get some Multiroming done on your Gateway, and you see you're on 7.x. That sure taught you a lesson, huh?

By the way, that's not an anti-Gateway post. Just an anti-bricking code post. I'm gonna play my Gateway until my eyes bleed once multirom comes out. Well, a week or more after it comes out to see what happens to people who can't wait.

Reactions: Cyberdrive

MrOldboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, we now need to ask GW Team for a downgrader, they have tended some success decrypting the N3DS, if they have total access on the firmware, they should get an idea of how downgrade it for us who Upgrade before knowing about GateWay, maybe some e-mail could make to take some actions into this case... who is with me?

I'm pretty sure GW is aware that opening the GW card up to more customers equals more money. No one needs to tell them that. If they can do it, they will. If not, they wont. They are trying, there is too much money to be made for them not to be.

wiewcw

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
10 bricked 3DS's isn't going to stop me from using 2.0b2 lol. Oh and I am excited for this next release. Like this post if you agree with me 100%

But that bricks was by unknown causes - so it is risky as hell. Their warranty is shit... from my country sending 3DS to china is expensive almost 200$ without
insurance - so f@ck it

Icepotter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
For all the people saying they should change the brick code instead of simply removing it, here's the problem: people with Gateway carts have gotten bricks too. This is clearly telling that bugs and glitches are commonplace in coding. For whoever said to make the console upgrade to the latest version to teach them a lesson, imagine this: you wake up one morning to get some Multiroming done on your Gateway, and you see you're on 7.x. That sure taught you a lesson, huh?

By the way, that's not an anti-Gateway post. Just an anti-bricking code post. I'm gonna play my Gateway until my eyes bleed once multirom comes out. Well, a week or more after it comes out to see what happens to people who can't wait.

Don't you think piracy is wrong? :rolleyes:

Anyway, you are right, maybe the force- update wasn't the best idea considering it could happen to be friendly fire... But a lock that can only be unlocked using an original Gateway cartridge sounds like a good idea... Only if it doesn't block the use of retail cards

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!