Not open for further replies.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How long are you gonna throw around this '6 month' statistic? You say a9lh has been around for 6 months and you're now saying 10.4-10.7 downgrade has been available for 6 months. Geez both of these advancements happened in February and March. We aren't even in the 6th month of the year yet and these all definitely took place in 2016. Is it hard to say 2-3 months? Maybe not even mention a number, just "a couple months"

Last edited by raulpica, , Reason: Removed quote -rp

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@squee666 hates Gateway and that's OK. I will use mine and it won't affect him in the slightest. Have a good day.

Edit: Gateway did hose themselves on this last update though (29 March 2016). Probably should have waited until they were a little closer to an actual release than keep us waiting for a little less than 2 months (provided the release actually comes out on or near the 22nd of May)

Last edited by stl25,

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
How long are you gonna throw around this '6 month' statistic? You say a9lh has been around for 6 months and you're now saying 10.4-10.7 downgrade has been available for 6 months. Geez both of these advancements happened in February and March. We aren't even in the 6th month of the year yet and these all definitely took place in 2016. Is it hard to say 2-3 months? Maybe not even mention a number, just "a couple months"
Isn't downgrading been around for a year? Ever since gateway introduced it on 9.2 FW? XD

Then it didn't become available for a while until a new breakthrough.

Last edited by Nirmonculus,

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i never said 10.4-10.7 i said downgrading in general (from 9.3)

The exploits and code that allowed downgrading and A9LH were freely available from December last year

Also considering they announced their Downgrader in the *Coming Days* back in february
after a fully functional one was released.

I will leave this here
@TuxSH stole it from you

soon-tm.jpg

Last edited by izy,

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway functioning on your 3DS SINCE 2013.
CFW is like GW customized and improved.
But I like the fact that it is still relevant (despite waiting for updates)
Looks like a win win unless you had a clone and the brick code claimed you. Shitty business practice yes, but don't say Nintendo didn't warn us of unofficial software/hardware being used on 3DS.

@squee666,

Forum talk is heresy until it actually happens. Anyone can say they are going to release a downgrader and not deliver (insert @JustPingo here). Here is the post from their Official site dated 29 March 2016. Funny I don't see the word downgrade anywhere in there (implied by us users).

29/03 - 10.3 and A9Hax support.
Posted on March 29, 2016
We are almost there!

The next big updates with 10.3 and A9hax support, as well as a nice surprise, are just around the corner.

We apologize for the delay to fulfill our announcement, but as always we deliver. Please understand weare still supporting our V1 hardware from a few years ago, which in the case of this major update has proven quite challenging.
We are very proud that users who bought their device 3 years ago still enjoy full support, although it has caused some delay.
And we will continue to do so by making sure all Gateway users, old and new, are receiving more than they expected for their money worth.

10.3 support and A9Hax will be released separately in the coming days to save from further delays. We are starting to expand our testing panel to more Alpha testers on various consoles types, regions, firmware etc. so it shouldn’t be long. But please for safety reason do not use any new Gateway firmware until we have confirmed test results and released the official update.

Thank you for your patience, get ready to ‘enjoy’!

Last edited by stl25,

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if the code for a9lh was readily available, it saw no implementation until at least February.

The downgrade from 9.3+ if you wanna go that far was in EARLY January. Still 4 months and 13 days.

Also considering they announced their Downgrader in the *Coming Days* back in february after a fully functional one was released.
The coming days announcement was in March. March 29th to be exact, so the end of March. And they never announced a downgrader, they said there was a method to downgrade from 10.3 already available, and that they were working on a solution to that based on how dangerous it was.

Last edited by CreAtor135,

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
i never said 10.4-10.7 i said downgrading in general (from 9.3)

The exploits and code that allowed downgrading and A9LH were freely available from December last year

Also considering they announced their Downgrader in the *Coming Days* back in february
after a fully functional one was released.

I will leave this here
@TuxSH stole it from you

You've forgotten they were the first to feature the downgrade from 9.2 to 4.5 back then. That helped the community a lot, you didn't need a Gateway cart to downgrade and it was just them that allows the downgrade for a while. It took a while for a new downgrader to help those on <10.3. But your hate on Gateway is totally boundless. This thread I believe are for Gateway users. What's your point in all this?

Last edited by Nirmonculus,
Reactions: samiam144

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway functioning on your 3DS SINCE 2013.
CFW is like GW customized and improved.
But I like the fact that it is still relevant (despite waiting for updates)
Looks like a win win unless you had a clone and the brick code claimed you. Shitty business practice yes, but don't say Nintendo didn't warn us of unofficial software/hardware being used on 3DS.

@squee666,

Forum talk is heresy until it actually happens. Anyone can say they are going to release a downgrader and not deliver (insert @JustPingo here). Here is the post from their Official site dated 29 March 2016. Funny I don't see the word downgrade anywhere in there (implied by us users).

29/03 – 10.3 and A9Hax support.
Posted on March 29, 2016
We are almost there!

The next big updates with 10.3 and A9hax support, as well as a nice surprise, are just around the corner.

We apologize for the delay to fulfill our announcement, but as always we deliver. Please understand weare still supporting our V1 hardware from a few years ago, which in the case of this major update has proven quite challenging.
We are very proud that users who bought their device 3 years ago still enjoy full support, although it has caused some delay.
And we will continue to do so by making sure all Gateway users, old and new, are receiving more than they expected for their money worth.

10.3 support and A9Hax will be released separately in the coming days to save from further delays. We are starting to expand our testing panel to more Alpha testers on various consoles types, regions, firmware etc. so it shouldn’t be long. But please for safety reason do not use any new Gateway firmware until we have confirmed test results and released the official update.

Thank you for your patience, get ready to ‘enjoy’!
Get rid of the link. You could get b&.

Reactions: stl25

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get rid of the link. You could get b&.

Post edited, good looking out.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You've forgotten they were the first to feature the downgrade from 9.2 to 4.5 back then. That helped the community a lot, you didn't need a Gateway cart to downgrade and it was just them that allows the downgrade for a while. It took a while for a new downgrader to help those on <10.3. But your hate on Gateway is totally boundless. This thread I believe are for Gateway users. What's your point in all this?

I don't mind his opinion (@squee666 ), I just wonder if he was a casualty of the brick code they introduced or is just taking up the voice for the people who fell victim to it. I admit it is a terrible business practice but they are not a traditional business. Questionable decision that led to some interesting forum reads.

Here's an interesting tidbit: Some are quick to trash GW and it's business practices, yet cell phone plans are the biggest scam on the planet and people can't get enough. Prepaid 4life or until money is no longer an issue.

Last edited by stl25,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't mind his opinion (@squee666 ), I just wonder if he was a casualty of the brick code they introduced or is just taking up the voice for the people who fell victim to it. I admit it is a terrible business practice but they are not a traditional business. Questionable decision that led to some interesting forum reads.

Any dev that intentionally bricks an end users device is a piece of shit. I don't care that they "aren't a traditional business," destroying the hardware that the end user has is not okay.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

lol yeah my favourite part was when a gbatemp member sent gateway a couple of 3DS's to get unbricked from their *sorry service*
He got his postage tracked and sent to the Depot they collect from.
It was reported signed and collected by a woman (maybe the one used in the videos)
Gateway then informed him they didnt receive any of his devices even though he had full tracking and receipt on it

Gateway then shortly after removed all their contact info from the website

Master Business Plan

Brick Customers Consoles
Offer unbricking service
get sent consoles
deny recieving consoles
remove contact info

Free Consoles
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by izy,
Reactions: astronautlevel

solress

Not a dev
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Any dev that intentionally bricks an end users device is a piece of shit. I don't care that they "aren't a traditional business," destroying the hardware that the end user has is not okay.
People should'be just been aware of things like these happening, it isn't gateway's fault they had some code that accidentally messed with people's systems

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not really wanting to debate the morale behind their actions. They just designed their DRM with a case or Roid Rage. Nintendo clearly states it is not responsible for damage caused by unofficial software/hardware so piece of shit or not it falls on us. I know there were some supposedly legit GW users who bricked but I don't know how much of that I am ready to believe.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GW has no intention of bricking their own users' devices, and if they did, they will replace them. They bricked people who thought to buy another card that was emulating their plugin. They did no hard work to create anything, they just flat out said "we emulate gateway".

And yes, I know about the one report of someone not receiving their console back or something, but I'm sure there was a mishap of some sort with that case.

AND ANOTHER THING, people seem to doubt how well this reimplementation of brick code is handled. Don't complain about it unless a genuine Gateway owner get's bricked from beta 3.4 and up.

Last edited by CreAtor135,

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol yeah my favourite part was when a gbatemp member sent gateway a couple of 3DS's to get unbricked from their *sorry service*
He got his postage tracked and sent to the Depot they collect from.
It was reported signed and collected by a woman (maybe the one used in the videos)
Gateway then informed him they didnt receive any of his devices even though he had full tracking and receipt on it

Gateway then shortly after removed all their contact info from the website

Master Business Plan

Brick Customers Consoles
Offer unbricking service
get sent consoles
deny recieving consoles
remove contact info

Free Consoles
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Scam me once shame on you. Scam me twice shame on me. Anybody who bricked should have quit while they were ahead and just bought a new console. We know the risks associated with these types of things. It is not something new. I admit shitty business practice, but it's like a bad review of a product. Take the info and filter it and make your own decision not everybody had a bad experience with GW or any product sold for that matter. I am not justifying their actions, just clarifying that the blame is not theirs alone (clone clown 3DS down).

Reactions: porkiewpyne

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Users who bricked should be pissed but not entitled anything. Ebay scams happen daily and business is booming. If you have a shitty experience use it for exactly that and take measures to hopefully avoid a similar experience in the future.

Reactions: Nirmonculus

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the post from their Official site dated 29 March 2016. Funny I don't see the word downgrade anywhere in there (implied by us users).
You need to fix your cache settings, dude. Nothing was implied; They posted it. You're just not seeing their latest update.
16/05/2016: GW Time Machine app & A9LH Installer
Posted on May 16, 2016
Today we are proud to announce the (limited) release of 2 new highly anticipated Gateway updates that will please all current and future Gateway users but also the whole 3DS community.

First the GateWay TimeMachine app can be launched via the homebrew channel therefore valid up to 10.7 or any future homebrew advancements. It is a free unrestricted tool that will have user verified region and device type files that greatly simplifies the a9 install process.

Next, exclusively for GW users, the Gateway A9LH Installer is a highly integrated GW menu app, that auto detects system and state of install, considerably simplifying the install procedure especially for the N3DS.

Once the A9LH Installer is complete the console will now boot automatically straight into GW menu within a few seconds after powerup.

They are currently in the hands of a few selected beta-testers. Please check your email today and later in the week if we contacted you for that matter (beta testing being in several steps, you might be contacted later this week).

Expected release to the public is May 22nd.

Last edited by urherenow,

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to fix your cache settings dude. Nothing was implied. They posted it. You're just not seeing their latest update.
16/05/2016: GW Time Machine app & A9LH Installer
Posted on May 16, 2016
Today we are proud to announce the (limited) release of 2 new highly anticipated Gateway updates that will please all current and future Gateway users but also the whole 3DS community.

First the GateWay TimeMachine app can be launched via the homebrew channel therefore valid up to 10.7 or any future homebrew advancements. It is a free unrestricted tool that will have user verified region and device type files that greatly simplifies the a9 install process.

Next, exclusively for GW users, the Gateway A9LH Installer is a highly integrated GW menu app, that auto detects system and state of install, considerably simplifying the install procedure especially for the N3DS.

Once the A9LH Installer is complete the console will now boot automatically straight into GW menu within a few seconds after powerup.

They are currently in the hands of a few selected beta-testers. Please check your email today and later in the week if we contacted you for that matter (beta testing being in several steps, you might be contacted later this week).

Expected release to the public is May 22nd.

It was stated that a downgrader was announce in Feb by @squee666. My response was that forum talk is cheap and in their official announcement on March 29, 2016, there was no direct mention of a downgrader. My cache settings are just fine dude. The reference to downgrader was made in the forums. FACT.

Edit: Seems you missed the boat on my post. My post was in response to @squee666 post here:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-a9lh-downgrade-release-planned-on-may-22nd.426757/page-9

Post 173.

Obviously they have been talking downgrade for awhile but until the post you linked it had been through the forums and not on the official site. @squee666 was off the rails in his post.

Last edited by stl25,

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Everyone's blaming Gateway for bricking people. Granted they do deserve some of it. But no one's focusing on who holds the most responsibility: the clone manufacturers. Of all the bricks, only like 3 happened to GW customers (under very specefic circumstances). These clone manufacturers stole GW's work without even trying to make it safe, then gave it to their own users. In a way, the clones bricked their own users.

Davidosky99

Eevee :3
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
Everyone's blaming Gateway for bricking people. Granted they do deserve some of it. But no one's focusing on who holds the most responsibility: the clone manufacturers. Of all the bricks, only like 3 happened to GW customers (under very specefic circumstances). These clone manufacturers stole GW's work without even trying to make it safe, then gave it to their own users. In a way, the clones bricked their own users.
Gateway shouldn't even put the brick code in the first place. And the thing I don't get is the damn drm. That's just wrong for paid piracy

Reactions: astronautlevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: about to learn a horse with no name on guitar