ROM Hack Guitar Hero On Tour - Custom songs?

nitrodude150

Trophies
Website
nitrodude150.googlepages.com
XP
Country
United States
Trolly said:
Interesting, a guy's posted some charts for On Tour over at Score Hero. It's not worth celebrating yet, as the charts apparently don't work very well because of some kind of score bug and a weird ticking noise. However, at least we have something mildly playable and custom now.

EDIT:
Sorry, false alarm. He's just posted blank charts that are .mid files. So just music basically. I assume we'll be seeing customs in a few days if all goes well though.
Wow, u pretty much just re-typed what the guy wrote............ u're something to admire....

Swatkinz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I think I have someone that can make us a .gob compiler,
smile.gif
I located them on IRC and they think they can make one, he just has to research a little about file compiling, other then that he knows scripting and can whip one up for us!

I see custom songs glimmering in the distance.....

wynsezhello

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cool! if that someone can make a .gob compiler, can you upload that? so a lot of people can make custom songs. more people working = more songs = win!

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yay! I hope they find the compiler!

I was testing songs on no$ before I knew I had to compile them, then I put the custom on All-Star which wasn't unlocked! But still, I was like , why is the custom rom 100 MB bigger?

Swatkinz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I will upload it when I get the compiler. I just hope it works... And I was trying to make songs on FoF and its hard to use, to bad you cant copy and paste notes. Anyway where do I find the .chart file once I make a song? Or are we going to use a different program to make the charts/fret boards?

by the way, the song I am making is The Gods Made Heavy Metal, by Manowar

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mm-K
if you make a song sometimes it makes an mid file, look for a converter like chart2mid2chart, i used that to try the charts on FoF, charts are fine, not the music though.

yay, but you havnt got a gob compiler,
frown.gif

i hope there is one coming out

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Gob? There must be a GOB compiler.. if there is GOB there must be a GOB Compiler. ill search it sometime and i'll update you.
Nup, that's a different .GOB file. The one in Guitar Hero On Tour has never existed before they made it, so you won't find a .GOB packer/compiler on the 'net. We're all just waiting for a skilled programmer to make a .GOB packer/compiler. Then we can work out what the .hwas files are doing exactly and whether the chart files are different to former Guitar Hero's.

QUOTE said:
Wow, u pretty much just re-typed what the guy wrote............ u're something to admire....
Well, that was totally needed.
rolleyes.gif

Honestly, I was just relaying the information for those who hadn't been reading from the Score Hero forum.
I praise you for your work and then you turn round and insult me? I love you, I do.
blink.gif

I will upload it when I get the compiler. I just hope it works... And I was trying to make songs on FoF and its hard to use, to bad you cant copy and paste notes. Anyway where do I find the .chart file once I make a song? Or are we going to use a different program to make the charts/fret boards?
Yeah, but you can pause the song and fast forward/rewind. So if you missed a note, you can just scroll back and insert. That's fairly useful. And we don't know whether it'll work with On Tour unless we try. I'm guessing it's just the same without any information on the 5th fret, just 4 frets.
I'm sure the current programs like Guitar Zero (another .chart maker) can just be adapted into special editions where there are only 4 frets. We just need to turn the right heads.

Swatkinz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you guys think the title displayed in the game will be the name of the main song file or do you think it will still be, ex. replace "All Star" with "Highway to Hell" do you think the song selection menu will still display it has "All Star"? or to we know of a file that controls the title displayed?

By the way I got all the proper tools and converters, (except .gob compiler) to make a custom song!
heres a list:

- DS Lazy (used to unpack ROM, .NDS)

- ungob.exe (click here to find out how to use it, this is used to extract all the data from the arm9, and mainUS files, after extraction you will have all the .gob files)

- GHOTChartConvert (used to extracted .chart files)

- Frets of Fire (used to make the custom songs)

- Chart2MID2Chart (used to convert the MID file from FoF into the .chart format, click here to download)

- "Audacity" or "4Musics MP3 to OGG Converter" (used to convert your custom song from mp3 into .ogg)

Steps on "How to Make Custom Songs", so far.

Step1- Once you have all the files available after all the unpacking and decompiling, find the song you want to replace
it should be located in the data, gob, and then the folder that you extracted to

Step2- Remove the files from the folder and place them in another folder, title with the name of the song

Step3- Get the GHOTChartConvert and place it in the folder you just made, with the songs files

Step4- Run the GHOTChartConvert from a command prompt (cmd), locate the folder with the cmd and type in GHOTChartConvert (the name of the song) ex. "GHOTChartConvert All Star" with out the quotations. It should then extract the .chart files into the folder you made

Step5- Remove the GHOTChartConvert form the folder

Step6- Create a song in FoF and locate its files after saving it, the location should be Frets on Fire/data/songs/(the name of your song), there will be, 1 .ogg file, 1 .mid file, and a script file.

Step7- Take the .ogg file and move it to the data/gob/extracted files/Tracks US.

Step8- Take the .mid file and convert it with Chart2MID2Chart and convert it into a .chart file

Step9- Move the .chart file to the folder that you made earlier that contains all of the songs files and that you previously extracted the .chart files into.

Step10- replace the .chart files with the new ones

Step11- At this point this is all that we can do, due to the fact we don't have a .gob compiler and we don't know what the .hwas file is or whats its for.

These steps prove what good team work and determination can get you, all of the above information was a joint effort by the people on GBA Temp.

I hope this tutorial clears some things up for the people who did not understand everything or who joined late in this group project.
yaynds.gif

Swatkinz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
QUOTEYeah, but you can pause the song and fast forward/rewind. So if you missed a note, you can just scroll back and insert. That's fairly useful. And we don't know whether it'll work with On Tour unless we try. I'm guessing it's just the same without any information on the 5th fret, just 4 frets.
I'm sure the current programs like Guitar Zero (another .chart maker) can just be adapted into special editions where there are only 4 frets. We just need to turn the right heads.

Yeah, well last night I found the fastest and best way to make songs..... hook up a 360 guitar to your computer dl the proper drives and play along with the tune, (but you need skills for that). As you play it makes the song on the fret board...
bow.gif

I know what the .hwas file is, its the vocals and the other instruments in the song. The actual guitar sounds come from the
Tracks US folder, ex. AllStar_guitar.ogg, and the beat comes from the AllStar_rhythm, since we are not going to have all of these split files, it might not be necessary for us to have the .hwas file. When we make the customs we are just going to have one .ogg file(the song) which would be equivalent to the AllStar_guitar.ogg file. When you miss a note it will just cut out the .ogg file that you put in place of the AllStar_guitar.ogg file. So when you miss a note the vocals will also be cut, due to the fact the vocals and the music are one piece. Overall we might be able to just exclude the .hwas file in our custom songs.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Swatkinz said:
QUOTE said:
QUOTEYeah, but you can pause the song and fast forward/rewind. So if you missed a note, you can just scroll back and insert. That's fairly useful. And we don't know whether it'll work with On Tour unless we try. I'm guessing it's just the same without any information on the 5th fret, just 4 frets.

Yeah, well last night I found the fastest and best way to make songs..... hook up a 360 guitar to your computer dl the proper drives and play along with the tune, (but you need skills for that). As you play it makes the song on the fret board...
bow.gif

I know what the .hwas file is, its the vocals and the other instruments in the song. The actual guitar sounds come from the
Tracks US folder, ex. AllStar_guitar.ogg, and the beat comes from the AllStar_rhythm, since we are not going to have all of these split files, it might not be necessary for us to have the .hwas file. When we make the customs we are just going to have one .ogg file(the song) which would be equivalent to the AllStar_guitar.ogg file. When you miss a note it will just cut out the .ogg file that you put in place of the AllStar_guitar.ogg file. So when you miss a note the vocals will also be cut, due to the fact the vocals and the music are one piece. Overall we might be able to just exclude the .hwas file in our custom songs.
yay!
so close! but the hwas, i think its necessecery, so if anybody tried to put customs in while skipping that and deleting it it would giva an error, maybe they did that! or the GOB file, to make it harder on us! but you guys found a way around! here we come, custom songs!
yaynds.gif

Swatkinz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Very true lostsoul, maybe by deleting the .hwas file it would cause errors. So instead of deleting them maybe we can just reformat them so they are blank files, that way they don't interfere with the replacement .ogg file!

Since we cant recompile as of now, I am going to try something else. I am going to convert a GHOT song from the .nds file to a file format that Frets on Fire can read. If that works then it should work the other around. Ill post back with my results soon, so hold on tight!

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Swatkinz said:
Very true lostsoul, maybe by deleting the .hwas file it would cause errors. So instead of deleting them maybe we can just reformat them so they are blank files, that way they don't interfere with the replacement .ogg file!
yeah, i was thinking about that but i didnt want to post it because i though that making it blank was a retarded idea.

EDIT: Wait, I think it only works with Firefox, I don't know, but download a blank music file, and make sure you choose the location, and select "All Files" in saving file type, and put .hwas after it, maybe I'll try that, a blank mp3, but when you download it, change it to All Files, and put .hwas, just a idea... i don't think so though

jared120120

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lostsoul5673 said:
jared, did you run it from command promt? you have to move all the files to a seperate folder and put the converter in there too and go to that directory in command promt. type "cd desktop" (w/o quotes) and then find your way to the directory, i suggest putting it on the desktop.
then type in there,

GHOTChartConvert (name of song)

then wait and you'll see the .chart file in the same folder, you can't open it directly yet, only though command promt

don't know how to get to command promt? (sigh) go to "run..." under the start menu and type "cmd" w/o quotes again

Yeah I ran it from command prompt within the same directory.

EDIT: Forgot to say it still doesn't work lol.

Swatkinz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, I input the AllStar_guitar.ogg and the AllStar_rhythm.ogg into Frets on Fire(FoF). Then I saved the file and located it in the Frets on Fire songs folder, I converted the .chart file, that I extracted with GHOTChartConvert (as I explained in the tutorial) from the mainUS.gob file in the GuitarHero.nds file, into a .mid (MIDI) and replaced the blank MIDI in the song folder that FoF makes for the custom song. For those of you who don't know the .chart is the file that creates the fret board, when converted into MIDI it serves the same purpose for FoF.
For some reason, (I think it has to do with the bit frequency rate) both the AllStar_guitar.ogg and the AllStar_rhythm.ogg are sped up to twice as fast as normal, next I am going to try and slow them down in another program and save them and reload them into FoF.

I also created a Blank.hwas file, its four minutes long, that should cover all the songs well. (if it works)
Click here to download it.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Swatkinz said:
Ok, I input the AllStar_guitar.ogg and the AllStar_rhythm.ogg into Frets on Fire(FoF). Then I saved the file and located it in the Frets on Fire songs folder, I converted the .chart file, that I extracted with GHOTChartConvert (as I explained in the tutorial) from the mainUS.gob file in the GuitarHero.nds file, into a .mid (MIDI) and replaced the blank MIDI in the song folder that FoF makes for the custom song. For those of you who don't know the .chart is the file that creates the fret board, when converted into MIDI it serves the same purpose for FoF.
For some reason, (I think it has to do with the bit frequency rate) both the AllStar_guitar.ogg and the AllStar_rhythm.ogg are sped up to twice as fast as normal, next I am going to try and slow them down in another program and save them and reload them into FoF.

I also created a Blank.hwas file, its four minutes long, that should cover all the songs well. (if it works)
Is that your site? It's neat. I could also do the pop-up thing, and I put that in my friend's forum as a joke, even you held enter it took at least a minute to get rid of.
Yay, so close to custom! We just need a GOB compiler, and boom, custom songs!
Is it possible to customize other parts of the game, I wnt to try, the menu is so borrring!

Swatkinz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lostsoul5673 said:
Swatkinz said:

Is that your site? It's neat. I could also do the pop-up thing, and I put that in my friend's forum as a joke, even you held enter it took at least a minute to get rid of.
Yay, so close to custom! We just need a GOB compiler, and boom, custom songs!
Is it possible to customize other parts of the game, I wnt to try, the menu is so borrring!

Thanks for the complement, but that site sucks, go to my site I made from scratch click here to view it!
it has games on it that I made, in GML, try the game Animal Hunt on the games page, its funny

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o