GBAtemp Guru
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I call noob-friendly.
This should be pinned.

Thanks for the reply, I will make the app so much better in next releases like adding auto download (like in ModMii, copy to sd) so for example, if they have semi brick they need a any region changer, so with a one button, it will be downloaded in sd, and more noobish langauge etc.. Because everyone wants this to be pinned, when I release the final version I’ll report the post and hope they will.

SatoshiHukuma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I call noob-friendly.
This should be pinned.
Yes

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Will you release source code? I know you don’t want anyone to just change the name of the app and say it’s his/her, but atleast can you give the main layout(I mean no labels, no buttons, no extra codes etc just the layout)

Jitoku

GBAtemp Guru
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Will you release source code? I know you don’t want anyone to just change the name of the app and say it’s his/her, but atleast can you give the main layout(I mean no labels, no buttons, no extra codes etc just the layout)

I don’t really think I will release the code.

Eatingshark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to recover without bootmii/priiloader/gc controller/save mini dongle?
I once saw something called fix full brick without nand basically it launches into homebrew channel if you put some stuff in sd and it is completely without bootmii or priiloader

Jitoku

GBAtemp Guru
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I once saw something called fix full brick without nand basically it launches into homebrew channel if you put some stuff in sd and it is completely without bootmii or priiloader
Yeah I saw it once too. I think it’s still on YouTube.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Yes I released the code for ModMii. Not only is it included in every download (it's a batch file, lol) the changes are tracked on sourceforge.

I actually had very knowledgeable people "inform" me ("attack" might be a better word) to ensure I released the sources not just for ModMii but for everything that comes with ModMii (ie cios modules, command line tools, etc). It was a whole fiasco and ruined more than one of my study days.

And not a single person ever (to my knowledge) ripped off ModMii and made a copy AND that was when the Wii scene was booming, no one is going to rip off anything now so I think those concerns are moot. And back then my insurance to make sure I wasn't ripped off was basically to make sure I kept adding new functionality quickly, if someone were trying to rip me off it would have been very challenging to keep up with my updates. Not to mention that if ModMii were feature rich my user base wouldn't wander elsewhere because the grass couldn't possibly be greener if I'm delivering on every item that was requested. Also, I made my code one giant somewhat confusing batch file, so it would be difficult for others to follow along who aren't intimately familiar with the code like I was (obfuscation via confusion, lol)

I am against closed source code in general, but in this case I think there might be a requirement to make it open source if your tool is utilizing any other open source code/tools. I haven't looked into it deeply but it's not MY program/job, I'm just trying to help you recognize that it might be a requirement. If this app is successful and grows in popularity it will be more likely to be closely scrutinized for incompliance issues; it wasn't until ModMii was super popular that it happened to me.

Im against closed source for a few reasons, but I'll use MMM as an example. It works great, but doesn't support wii remote plus controllers. If the source code was available then it would be easy for someone else to compile an updated version and still provide credit to the original dev. As it stands mmm will probably never be as good as it can be because the dev has disappeared and his work can never be expanded upon. And in this particular scenario mmm used open source code and was required to release it. Now he never did and a lot of the same people who "informed" me of my open source responsibilities were getting on his case too.

I'm not trying to be a pain here, but I've seen too many promising projects get abandoned and no one was ever able to pick up the pieces because of lack of open source code. I don't want this to become one of them.

Jitoku

GBAtemp Guru
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I released the code for ModMii. Not only is it included in every download (it's a batch file, lol) the changes are tracked on sourceforge.

I actually had very knowledgeable people "inform" me ("attack" might be a better word) to ensure I released the sources not just for ModMii but for everything that comes with ModMii (ie cios modules, command line tools, etc). It was a whole fiasco and ruined more than one of my study days.

And not a single person ever (to my knowledge) ripped off ModMii and made a copy AND that was when the Wii scene was booming, no one is going to rip off anything now so I think those concerns are moot. And back then my insurance to make sure I wasn't ripped off was basically to make sure I kept adding new functionality quickly, if someone were trying to rip me off it would have been very challenging to keep up with my updates. Not to mention that if ModMii were feature rich my user base wouldn't wander elsewhere because the grass couldn't possibly be greener if I'm delivering on every item that was requested. Also, I made my code one giant somewhat confusing batch file, so it would be difficult for others to follow along who aren't intimately familiar with the code like I was (obfuscation via confusion, lol)

I am against closed source code in general, but in this case I think there might be a requirement to make it open source if your tool is utilizing any other open source code/tools. I haven't looked into it deeply but it's not MY program/job, I'm just trying to help you recognize that it might be a requirement. If this app is successful and grows in popularity it will be more likely to be closely scrutinized for incompliance issues; it wasn't until ModMii was super popular that it happened to me.

Im against closed source for a few reasons, but I'll use MMM as an example. It works great, but doesn't support wii remote plus controllers. If the source code was available then it would be easy for someone else to compile an updated version and still provide credit to the original dev. As it stands mmm will probably never be as good as it can be because the dev has disappeared and his work can never be expanded upon. And in this particular scenario mmm used open source code and was required to release it. Now he never did and a lot of the same people who "informed" me of my open source responsibilities were getting on his case too.

I'm not trying to be a pain here, but I've seen too many promising projects get abandoned and no one was ever able to pick up the pieces because of lack of open source code. I don't want this to become one of them.

I don’t know how did you understand but by asking you “Did you release the code of ModMii” I wasn’t meant to be aggresive(if you understood like that)
But thanks for the reply, if I finish the project to its final version, I’ll release the code.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I don’t know how did you understand but by asking you “Did you release the code of ModMii” I wasn’t meant to be aggresive(if you understood like that)
But thanks for the reply, if I finish the project to its final version, I’ll release the code.
And if you don't finish no one will ever be able to continue your work because you're withholding the source until the final version. You should release the source with every public release in my opinion. If the final version introduces a bug that wasn't present in the earlier versions, and you get hit by a bus, no one will ever have the working code from the earlier version if you only share the "final" code. These kinds of programs aren't ever 100% final anyway. There's always a bug to fix or a feature to add, so waiting until it's 100% final before sharing the code is not a great strategy in my opinion.

And I was not offended by you asking about ModMii sources, but it did sound like you were getting a little defensive. In any case, I have no problem with you or your project. I am sharing my thoughts to help you, feel free to take my advice or ignore, either way is fine by me.

Best of luck on your project!

Last edited by XFlak,

Jitoku

GBAtemp Guru
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And if you don't finish no one will ever be able to continue your work because you're withholding the source until the final version. You should release the source with every public release in my opinion. If the final version introduces a bug that wasn't present in the earlier versions, and you get hit by a bus, no one will ever have the working code from the earlier version if you only share the "final" code. These kinds of programs aren't ever 100% done anyway. There's always a big to fix or a feature to add, so waiting until it's 100% final before sharing a code is not a great strategy in my opinion.

And I was not offended by you asking about ModMii sources, but it did sound like you were getting a little defensive. In any case, I have no problem with you or your project. I am sharing my thoughts to help you, feel free to take my advice or ignore, either way is fine by me.

Best of luck on your project!

I prefer to take your advice + I wasn’t also trying to be defensive. So there is no negative feelings for you, just know that. [P.S Should I report my project to be on sticky threads?(I don’t know if they will do it or not, but so much people tells me that it should be)]

Last edited by Jitoku,
Reactions: XFlak

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
we tried hard to force MMM developer to comply with GPL license, and release the sources. Even up to banning MMM linking on GBATemp for a while, but he never cared.
as a result, in addition to not complying with GPL, it's also not possible to improve it like Xflak said, which is very sad.

Another program whom his author never wanted to release the sources is WiiBackupManager. Fig2k always said that his program wasn't anything special and everybody could do the same easily, but again the tool has never been completed, Fig2k disappeared and left his tool unfinished with nobody who could take the project back to life to improve it (like adding gamecube support, which was almost done by Fig2k himself).

in my opinion, you shouldn't wait to complete your project to release the sources or it could end in the same state as many abandoned projects.
Releasing the sources does not (always) mean that everyone will steal your project or release a similar tool, but it helps improving it, or continuing it in case you don't give sign of life like many devs before you who lost interest and just left, or just allowing anyone to learn from you :)
I learned a lot by reading other's sources and it helped me improve my skills. If I used someone else help or sources I always credited it. open source doesn't mean stealing, most of the time open source devs are working together and respecting other people's work.
but of course, you never know. someone can just use your work for their own benefit (best example with Switch scene and SXOS)

As for the sticky thread, I'm not for it. it's not a guide, but a link to a tool.
I'd rather stick a guide or tutorial.
Currently, I don't know all your tool can do, which brick-state it can help, or which non brick state it's helpful with either. also, it's windows only and not useful to everyone.
maybe I could remove "guide" in the thread? it's more a release than a guide to me.
"release: RECOVERMII. A tool to guide you to recover your Wii from a brick" ?

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: XFlak

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I would suggest wait until the app is more developed before asking the mods to sticky it. But I haven't installed your app and checked it out, if you think it can actually be used in its current form for people to fix bricks then asking now sounds good too.

Glad to hear there's no negative feelings, no worries pal, we're all good

Edit: ninja'd by Cyan, lol

Last edited by XFlak,

Jitoku

GBAtemp Guru
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
we tried hard to force MMM developer to comply with GPL license, and release the sources. Even up to banning MMM linking on GBATemp for a while, but he never cared.
as a result, in addition to not complying with GPL, it's also not possible to improve it like Xflak said, which is very sad.

Another program whom his author never wanted to release the sources is WiiBackupManager. Fig2k always said that his program wasn't anything special and everybody could do the same easily, but again the tool has never been completed, Fig2k disappeared and left his tool unfinished with nobody who could take the project back to life to improve it (like adding gamecube support, which was almost done by Fig2k himself).

in my opinion, you shouldn't wait to complete your project to release the sources or it could end in the same state as many abandoned projects.
Releasing the sources does not (always) mean that everyone will steal your project or release a similar tool, but it helps improving it, or continuing it in case you don't give sign of life like many devs before you, or just allowing anyone to learn from you :)
I learned a lot by reading other's sources and it helped me improve my skills. If I used someone else help or sources I always credited it. open source doesn't mean stealing, most of the time open source devs are working together and respecting other people's work.

I can’t really mess with RecoverMii in weekdays, but I will try to finish the project as soon as possible. Sadly, I lost the source code of 0.5B & 0.7B so I only can release the one I’m working right now (0.8B) then I’ll release them as .sln with .csproj’s so the one will edit my files need to have a low level idea of c# and c++(even I used it in unimportant parts). I’ll let you know if you want when I release.

Jitoku

GBAtemp Guru
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would suggest wait until the app is more developed before asking the mods to sticky it. But I haven't installed your app and checked it out, if you think it can actually be used in its current form for people to fix bricks then asking now sounds good too.

Glad to hear there's no negative feelings, no worries pal, we're all good.

It’s not likely going to happen until V1.2, because I kinda screwed in Full Bricks, because it has so many types and I’m sure newbies will more Brick their Wii, so the only thing I can do for that is to make people go into forum and ask us if they have. Any ideas what can I do for that?

Wiiboi1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It’s not likely going to happen until V1.2, because I kinda screwed in Full Bricks, because it has so many types and I’m sure newbies will more Brick their Wii, so the only thing I can do for that is to make people go into forum and ask us if they have. Any ideas what can I do for that?
I downloaded your app(it’s amazing and noob-friendly I like it so much!) and I actually find the idea you wrote about full bricks good, but if someone has a better idea it’s better to listen him.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh