Hacking Guide to installing + uninstalling YSmenu on the R4

guardiaknight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used the various auto YSMenu creators, and followed this guide in an attempt to create a working YSMenu for my DS. Although YSMenu will load after a fashion, it comes up with a bunch of text overlaying the bottom screen where the game icons are displayed. The text is as follows:

http://www.usay.jp/
build: YASU Mar 27 2009
can't load l2u
can't load font
loading game list...
can't load usrcheat.dat
No Flash in Slot2
DLDI = R4TF
ready.
DLDI = R4TF
YF4E 2495-F~1.nds
i'll be back

I can't load games, or access any other menu features. My card is an R4 III Upgrade. I formatted my SD chip before putting everything on it. To expand on what I said above about using the auto-creators, I've tried using YSMenu in place of Moonshell, as an auto-load .nds file, and as a normal .nds file, and of course as the firmware via this guide.

Has anyone else encountered this issue, and perhaps hopefully, found a solution? If not, would anyone here have any ideas on how to fix/get around the problem I've encountered?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and patience.

guardiaknight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, I tried doing things a little differently when starting from scratch, and it seems to be working correctly this time. For some reason I had a bunch of junk files appearing in my R4 and YSMenu(that weren't visible when looking at my SD card on my computer) when I loaded them up previously, and it seems like those may have been the issue. Sorry to have bothered for nothing.

evilfozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe im a nub here, but I got the firmware installed and all the games run great with one exception. The Power LED is ALWAYS red when it boots to the YSMenu kernel. It's fine if i go back to Official r4 1.18 and the nintendo boot. Is there a setting that is toggle-able or editable?

Much Appreciate Any Help.

Evil

Bluelaserman

I shoot BLUE LASERS MAN!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
evilfozz said:
Maybe im a nub here, but I got the firmware installed and all the games run great with one exception. The Power LED is ALWAYS red when it boots to the YSMenu kernel. It's fine if i go back to Official r4 1.18 and the nintendo boot. Is there a setting that is toggle-able or editable?

Much Appreciate Any Help.

Evil

Retry making YSMenu, and is your R4 a clone?

evilfozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue,
I'll try to rebuild the ysmenu. I have the original R4. Thanks for the response. Ill update you with the results.

mikeym1979

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bluelaserman said:
R4 Clone Fix (R4III, R4.....)

For all R4 III and Clones, at Step 16 It states to change the YSMenu.nds to a _ds_menu.dat file,
Skip that step, and use YSMenu as a .nds file.
YSMenu will run as a secondary firmware, which plays all games.
The only reason I can give for it not working as a bootable firmware is that when its encrypted, it can play Mario, though once decrypted, it loses the ability to access the file properly.

In your sd root, you should have
TTMenu (Folder)
r4dldi.dat (dat file)
r4patch.dat (dat file)
r4tf.dldi (dldi file)
TTMenu.dat (dat file)
YSMenu.ini (Ini file)
YSMenu.nds (the nds file needed to run YSMenu)

Also, you will need to have your R4's Firmware, as the YSMenu will run as a secondary firmware (.nds file).

Put Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story in a game folder. Load your R4, locate the YSmenu.nds file and Have Fun
yaynds.gif
biggrin.gif

The way I found out the problem, was my brothers R4 (Original) was using the exact same files as my YSMenu, though, the only difference was the _ds_menu.dat file, Mine was the output.dat while his was the original _ds_menu.dat file. He was able to play Mario without fault, while mine produced a white screen at start-up. Though, running it as a .nds removes this problem.

This should work for any clone that runs YSmenu
Would you or someone who's done this already be kind enough to compress that stuff into one file and post it for download here? Or through private messaging? I did exactly as I was told from the instructions found on page one of this topic, beginning from "GUIDE TO INSTALLING YSMENU ON THE R4 + CLONES", and skipping step 16. My problem is that about 2 or 3 of the steps before step 16 simply wouldn't work. Like executing the gui.bat file and choosing option 2. After pressing enter, absolutely nothing happened. And a download link for a replacement file later on didn't even work for me, and I used Firefox and Internet Explorer. It's a bit frustrating because I CAN follow instructions, yet things don't go as planned. So, yeah, would someone please be kind enough to upload this already premade/patched?

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
Would you or someone who's done this already be kind enough to compress that stuff into one file and post it for download here? Or through private messaging?

If that was permitted do you think a guide like this would exist?

mikeym1979

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depravo said:
QUOTE said:
Would you or someone who's done this already be kind enough to compress that stuff into one file and post it for download here? Or through private messaging?

Well, it's certainly a good thing it is permitted through PMs.
wink.gif
As well it should be for those who have technical difficulties as I have.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
mikeym1979 said:
Depravo said:
QUOTE said:

wink.gif
Technically it isn't permitted through PMs either but that doesn't stop people. The guide is there to prevent technical difficulties. It cannot, however, prevent user error which is the main reason for YSMenu failing to work.

mikeym1979

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depravo said:
mikeym1979 said:
Depravo said:
QUOTE said:

wink.gif
Technically it isn't permitted through PMs either but that doesn't stop people. The guide is there to prevent technical difficulties. It cannot, however, prevent user error which is the main reason for YSMenu failing to work.
Eh, as I said, I followed the instructions to the letter, and faltered a few times before step 16. It's not my fault a download link didn't work for me, nor that a .bat file wouldn't do as it was told. *shrug*

Bluelaserman

I shoot BLUE LASERS MAN!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
mikeym1979 said:
Depravo said:
mikeym1979 said:
Depravo said:
QUOTE said:

wink.gif
Eh, as I said, I followed the instructions to the letter, and faltered a few times before step 16. It's not my fault a download link didn't work for me, nor that a .bat file wouldn't do as it was told. *shrug*

If you find this to hard, or impossible to do, go use YSAuto. Its meant for people who can't be bothered, or just can't make it due to their level of expertise. Though, with YSAuto, you won't learn anything.

triassic911

Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
mikeym1979 said:
Depravo said:
mikeym1979 said:
Depravo said:
QUOTE said:

wink.gif
Are you saying there is a download link that is invalid? If so, which one?

bevardimus

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thank you SOOOOOOOOO much for this guide! MLBIS is now working for me and I couldn't have done it without this. Just one minor thing: Is soft-reset EVER going to work with YSMENU on an R4?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bevardimus said:
thank you SOOOOOOOOO much for this guide! MLBIS is now working for me and I couldn't have done it without this. Just one minor thing: Is soft-reset EVER going to work with YSMENU on an R4?

Good to know that M&L:BIS is working on your R4; it's a great game. The Soft-Reset button doesn't work, yet...I'm not sure if Yasu'll ever add a soft-reset button...
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @BigOnYa yeah my sister wants a ps3 but I don't think she wants a modded one so I showed her...