Tutorial  Updated

Guide to HANS Rom Hacking (Maybe Noob-Friendly)

This guide is for Rom Hacking any game on any 3ds without LumaCFW that can boot into the Homebrew Launcher (Check to see if you can get CFW Here). At Least 2 GB free on your sd Card is recommended (sometimes required)

(Step 0?: Have Access to Homebrew with title selector. Also, have a functioning brain, won't work without it)

Step 1: Download and Extract the Braindump folder from the .7z to the "3ds" folder on the SD Card

Step 2: Boot your 3ds into The Homebrew Launcher, using your method of choice and choose the Braindump application, then choose the game which you would like to hack

Step 3: Wait. Go watch some Netflix while the game dumps. It could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours (depending on what game was dumped and what model of 3ds you have)

Step 4: Once the game has dumped, a folder (or File) with a bunch of random numbers and letters will be on the SD Card. You will need Ctrtool in the same folder as the file(s) to extract it

Step 4.25: Move the Folder/File to your Computer

Step 4.5: Only if you have a .cxi and can VISUALLY SEE .cxi in the name:
Rename the file to "game.cxi" (without the quotes)
If you CANNOT see .cxi; just change the name to "game" (without the quotes)

Step 4.75: If you do have a file and you renamed it to "game" or "game.cxi", Download this zip, extract it to the folder, run "1.bat",give it about 5 minutes

Step 5: Should now have "Romfs.bin" and "Exefs.bin"
Run "2.bat", wait. Then run "3.bat", this one should take around 10 minutes.

Step 6: You should now have a romfs folder and an exefs folder. Apply any changes to the files inside the directories and prepare for rebuilding

Step 7: Download RomfsBuilder and open the program. Then choose the romfs folder that was edited, and hit go (not literally) and when the program is finished, save the file of the last 8 digits of the Game ID and .romfs (Example: 00000000.romfs)

Step 8: Move the romfs file to the "hans" folder on your sd card (Not '/3ds/hans' just 'Hans' or it won't work) and boot HANS through the homebrew launcher. (Make sure the romfs setting is enabled) and hopefully (if you did everything right) Rom hack!!!
What did you do? Maybe a cool sound mod? Couple texture hacks? Or a rework of a game completely?

Step 9: ENJOY

Last edited by TheBroDelta,

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aww it didnt work, I'm stuck now I already tried extracting the cia on my computer using Asia81's tool but it only gave me the romfs and exefs bins and not the folders :/ All I need is this dang code.bin I've looked everywhere even on /that/ site to learn how to do it but I cant find any clear instructions
Try v9 of Asia81's tool and use a decrypted CIA

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's the one I used, I tried decrypting the cia I was using
Oh sweet v9 gives me the code.bin, version 11 doesnt for some reason, so now I put this in luma/code_sections/ as 0004000000197500.bin and then in luma/titles/0004000000197500/ is where I put my edited files with the same files names and structure as the romfs files that I want to edit right?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's the one I used, I tried decrypting the cia I was using

Oh sweet v9 gives me the code.bin, version 11 doesnt for some reason, so now I put this in luma/code_sections/ as 0004000000197500.bin and then in luma/titles/0004000000197500/ is where I put my edited files with the same files names and structure as the romfs files that I want to edit right?
Which version of Luma do you have?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
version 9.0
9.0 no longer uses code_sections. Place the code.bin in luma/titles/0004000000197500/ then place your edited files in luma/titles/0004000000197500/romfs/, following the original games' romfs folder/file structure, for example you have folder structure a/b/c, place your files in romfs/a/b/c.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9.0 no longer uses code_sections. Place the code.bin in luma/titles/0004000000197500/ then place your edited files in luma/titles/0004000000197500/romfs/, following the original games' romfs folder/file structure, for example you have folder structure a/b/c, place your files in romfs/a/b/c.
nvm

Last edited by Eddypikachu,

Beesechurger13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I open the braindump application it says "This homebrew exploit does not have support for launching applications under target titles. Please use a different exploit." Will this still work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr