Guide to HANS Rom Hacking (Maybe Noob-Friendly)

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by TheBroDelta, Jul 27, 2017.

1. TheBroDelta
    OP

TheBroDelta Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2016
    United States
    This guide is for Rom Hacking any game on any 3ds without LumaCFW that can boot into the Homebrew Launcher (Check to see if you can get CFW Here). At Least 2 GB free on your sd Card is recommended (sometimes required)

(Step 0?: Have Access to Homebrew with title selector. [I don't think this works with HBL v2.0, test it out if you want]. Also, have a functioning brain, won't work without it)

Step 1: Download and Extract the Braindump folder from the .7z to the "3ds" folder on the SD Card

Step 2: Boot your 3ds into The Homebrew Launcher, using your method of choice and choose the Braindump application, then choose the game which you would like to hack

Step 3: Wait. Go watch some Netflix while the game dumps. It could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours (depending on what game was dumped and what model of 3ds you have)

Step 4: Once the game has dumped, a folder (or File) with a bunch of random numbers and letters will be on the SD Card. You will need Ctrtool in the same folder as the file(s) to extract it

Step 4.25: Move the Folder/File to your Computer

Step 4.5: Only if you have a .cxi and can VISUALLY SEE .cxi in the name:
    Rename the file to "game.cxi" (without the quotes)
    If you CANNOT see .cxi; just change the name to "game" (without the quotes)

Step 4.75: If you do have a file and you renamed it to "game" or "game.cxi", Download this zip, extract it to the folder, run "1.bat",give it about 5 minutes

Step 5: Should now have "Romfs.bin" and "Exefs.bin"
    Run "2.bat", wait. Then run "3.bat", this one should take around 10 minutes.

Step 6: You should now have a romfs folder and an exefs folder. Apply any changes to the files inside the directories and prepare for rebuilding

Step 7: Download RomfsBuilder and open the program. Then choose the romfs folder that was edited, and hit go (not literally) and when the program is finished, save the file of the last 8 digits of the Game ID and .romfs (Example: 00000000.romfs)

Step 8: Move the romfs file to the "hans" folder on your sd card (Not '/3ds/hans' just 'Hans' or it won't work) and boot HANS through the homebrew launcher. (Make sure the romfs setting is enabled) and hopefully (if you did everything right) Rom hack!!!
    What did you do? Maybe a cool sound mod? Couple texture hacks? Or a rework of a game completely?

Step 9: ENJOY

Last edited by TheBroDelta, Jul 31, 2017
  2. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Not to be rude, but this is pretty much useless with Luma 8. It has LayeredFS, far superior to HANS. Also, braindump does not generate clean dumps, making it pretty useless now as well.

KunoichiZ likes this.
  3. TheBroDelta
    OP

TheBroDelta Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2016
    United States
    Yeah... I kinda made this for people without LumaCFW, and (Just Curious) when did Braindump not make clean dumps?

Majickhat55 likes this.
  4. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Always. It has no way of dumping the ExHeader or per-cart data and so it just inserts junk there.

Majickhat55 and KunoichiZ like this.
  5. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    Which is why you can only use HANS with the files dumped from Braindump. Definitely can't build a .CIA with random garbage. Still a good tut, just tell people to use Decrypt9/Godmode9 (pretty sure there are .3dsx versions) to dump their game to use for HANS and regular HomeBrew. Or they can extract the RomFS/ExeFS directly to their SD card with Godmode9, that's like skipping two steps Lol.

6. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    .3dsx versions of D9/GM9 either require firmware 9.2.0 or Luma's patch arm9 access setting enabled on higher firmwares. Unless they have either of those things, they are stuck using HANS+braindump. And if they have Luma, they're better off using the .firm versions of D9/GM9 instead of braindump and the layeredfs feature instead of HANS.

Majickhat55 likes this.
  7. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    Yeah I thought it required extras, I just remember loading it as a .3dsx with udesploit or whatever. Hell TBH the easiest way is to just download a ROM somewhere and use some PC script tools for extraction Lol if you don't have CFW.

KunoichiZ likes this.
  8. suzsuzuki

suzsuzuki GBAtemp Regular

Aug 25, 2016
    Brazil
    I can't see HANS on Luma 8.1, just in Luma 7.1. Why?

9. TheBroDelta
    OP

TheBroDelta Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2016
    United States
    If you have Luma 8.1/8.0/7.1, please use layeredfs as your ROM hacking method. This guide is for people without LumaCFW.

suzsuzuki and KunoichiZ like this.
  10. Byonic

Byonic Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2017
    Bahrain
    Will be useful once I mod my 3DS

11. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Is there a guide to rom hacking with saltysd or layeredfs? I'm a total noob when it comes to 3ds texture modding.

Last edited by Ominous66521, Aug 1, 2017