Hacking Guide to: Converting PS1 games for PSP

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks to Sony kindly giving us a very good Playstation Emulator for PSP and DarkAlex hacking it to run any PS1 ISO converted to an eboot we now have the lovely ability to run old PSX games on our PSP.

Note: This will only work if you have Custom Firmware installed on your PSP, see the 2 modding stickies for instructions on how to install this

Step 1. Get your PS1 ISO

This is one of the simplest steps, just pop your disk in your CD drive, open up your selected ripping software and rip to either ISO or Bin/CCD format.
The ripping software I personally use is Alcohol 52% which has a Playstation template for its ripping so it will read and dump all data. It is free and you can download it Here

Step 2. Get PSX2PSP v1.42 (latest version as of writing)

Download PSX2PSP here: PSX2PSP v 1.4.2 (3rd option down, no hotlinking allowed) UPDATE: Link updated to Filetrip download

Download the file and extract to your chosen directory. Now open the folder and double click on “Theme Mode” as this is the nicest looking and simplest GUI to use.

Step. 3 Prepare your file for conversion

Click on “Convert Menu” in the bottom right of the Window, this should bring up a menu like this
ConvertMenu.png

Now click on the “...” beside the “ISO/PBP File 1 – No File Selected” dropdown menu and navigate to where you placed your ISO/BIN file, select it and return
N.B. If you have a premade eboot with images you don't like you can open it in this step and edit the images just the same. Same goes for other compaitibility issue fixes. You can also click the "Extract ISO" button to remove the ISO from the eboot and play the game in your favourite PC emulators

If your PS1 game has multiple disks and you wish to make them into a single eboot simply bring down the dropdown menu, click on File 2, and select your next ISO. Repeat this for all disks in the game.

Now make sure that the GameID shown is correct for your ISO, this ID should be displayed on the original PS1 disk or at the foot of the box's end label. You may also wish to change this for compatibility reasons. (Check Here to check whether your game has any compatibility issues
CIMG0598.jpg
CIMG0599.jpg

Now we're ready to make the eboot look a bit better, close the “Convert Menu” by clicking the button in the bottom right again and now click “Customise PBP” which should bring up a menu like this.
CustomiseMenu.png

Using this menu we can customise what the eboot will look like on the PSP, you may make these yourself or download from the internet. Personally I use this site as it has background images and icons for many popular PS1 games but the list is not extensive and you may have to search around for your own.
FullEboot.png

Note: PSX2PSP's Icon size is defaulted to the 80x80 PS1 box art size, if you have an icon that is not boxart size you will have to go into Options and change the Icon0 to “Default”

Step 4. Converting your eboot

This step's pretty easy as well, now we've customised the eboot we can convert and save it for use in our PSP.
FullEbootMenu.png

Close the “Customize PBP” menu and open the “Convert Menu” again now click on the button beside “Output PBP” and navigate to where you wish to place your Eboot, do not worry about creating a subfolder for each game as PSX2PSP will automatically create one. Once this is doen simply click “Convert” and wait. Once finished just navigate to where you placed the Eboot, plug in your PSP and copy the folder containing the Eboot to ms0:/PSP/Game on your PSP's memory stick.

As a russian meerkat once said...
SIMPLES!!

cman1783

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Very nice guide my friend! Much easier than the old way I used to do it. THIS is the site I used to get the images from but it's down temporarily.

Edit - Wish I had my PSP now. My sister and I traded PSP for Wii temporarily.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
cman1783 said:
Very nice guide my friend! Much easier than the old way I used to do it. THIS is the site I used to get the images from but it's down temporarily.

Edit - Wish I had my PSP now. My sister and I traded PSP for Wii temporarily.

That site has gone forever, no luck on it coming back.

Also awesome guide, better then mine
biggrin.gif

Fat Cow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just feel need to add something about game icon size, as this bothered me for a long time.

on some cfw version (mine is 5.00), if the game icon is not 80x80 then the game's _save_ icon will be replaced with m33's internal dracula icon, this was done in m33 to prevent a bug iirc.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I don't like Popstation GUI simply because it only supports ISO files (unless more compatibility was added in a later version) and most of my dumps are CUEs, etc. I use Simple Popstation GUI 2 beta. It's got support for ISO, IMG, CUE, BIN, and PBP files. You can add all your images, preview the EBOOT, etc. And it has an interesting button.
tongue.gif

Also, I use this for my gameboot images while popsdb is down. Just some useful information for you guys
biggrin.gif

Okami Wolfen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Personally, I don't like Popstation GUI simply because it only supports ISO files (unless more compatibility was added in a later version) and most of my dumps are CUEs, etc. I use Simple Popstation GUI 2 beta. It's got support for ISO, IMG, CUE, BIN, and PBP files. You can add all your images, preview the EBOOT, etc. And it has an interesting button. tongue.gif
Also, I use this for my gameboot images while popsdb is down. Just some useful information for you guys
PSX2PSP converted my Final fantasy VII bins to isos just fine.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Okami Wolfen said:
QUOTE said:
Personally, I don't like Popstation GUI simply because it only supports ISO files (unless more compatibility was added in a later version) and most of my dumps are CUEs, etc. I use Simple Popstation GUI 2 beta. It's got support for ISO, IMG, CUE, BIN, and PBP files. You can add all your images, preview the EBOOT, etc. And it has an interesting button. tongue.gif
PSX2PSP converted my Final fantasy VII bins to isos just fine.
It definitely didn't like my Chrono Trigger CUE.
tongue.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tj_cool said:
Just be sure to update them, cause else we'll have the same problem again
tongue.gif
I'm working on mine now; replaced links to the downloads from FileTrip and currently adding images of the modifications needed for the batteries.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.