1. Khim09

Khim09 GBAtemp Regular

Hello, I am on 5.1.0 but I cannot use exFat, it nags me to update software to use exFat. Is it normal? I wanted to update to 6.0 to start installing cfw. But what is this LayeredFS that is not supported yet? is it important on cfw? Thanks.

2. DaminouTav

DaminouTav Member
    Newcomer

France
    Yep that's normal. Don't know why but exfat is not included into Nintendo's firmware, so you have to download a small update, firmware independent. Don't worry 6.0 is not released yet :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Khim09 likes this.
  3. Khim09

Khim09 GBAtemp Regular

I see, so my switch will stay on 5.1.0 if I update software for exFat support?

But this guy updated to 6.0. I am confused
    EDIT: I tried updating and I am still on 5.1.0. Thanks very much.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  4. DaminouTav

DaminouTav Member
    Newcomer

France
    You're welcome :)

Khim09 likes this.
  5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Since exFAT is a proprietary format owned by Microsoft, it is theorized Nintendo purposely didn't include exFAT on all consoles to avoid paying extra licensing fees. This is because unless all Switch owners obtain the exFAT update, it'll cost less money to individually provide exFAT support on every Switch that requests it.

2manyGames2play and Khim09 like this.
  6. afra

afra Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Iran
    I hacked 8 Switch devices for my friends and had had been through testing so I have some concrete evidence that in some point devices freezes while playing . this is what I did dig into :
    1 - when one try to open and play and close lot of games in one day one after another chances of freeze go higher ( I testet with 3 separate ppl and I can tell this will cause freeze indeed !)
    2- If one play one game and don't close/re-open that one game , chance of freezing reduces a lot

I wanna ask OP if you aware of this ? if you wanna concrete proof download and play Raging Justice game and you will encounter freeze at most in one day of playing .

Version 5 still freezing in Raging justice but should test in other games aswell .

7. shchmue

shchmue Developer
    Developer

United States
    It Is Known
    https://github.com/Reisyukaku/ReiNX/issues/38

afra likes this.
  8. Djinnvsl

Djinnvsl Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    Hello. I've have a problem.

Followed this guide.
    When injecting the payload, it showed the reinx image and then, the screen flashed for a second and turn black.

Now I cant turn if on again. I've tried re injecting the payload. The same happens...

After a few injects, the program atrted crashing while injecting. After that, I could't enter RCM mode.

Like 10 minutes ago, while trying everithing, my switch turned on without doing anything, so I formated the SD card, entered RCM mode and injected neinx again. Same result: I CAN'T TURN ON MY SWITCH :(

Any suggestions? Thanks.

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    This guide is outdated, use the one found in this thread instead. Also, I suspect you are using an exFAT formatted SD card on your console which lacks exFAT support out of the box.

10. Djinnvsl

Djinnvsl Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    thanks. I'll read that hread.
    my SD is Fat32 and my firmware 4.1.0

11. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    When did you buy your Switch? It's possible it is patched.

12. Djinnvsl

Djinnvsl Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    Like 1 month after released. I don't think it's patched. (XAJ700001...)

Now, windows in not recognizing my console and can't enter rcm mode or turn it on :'(

It was showing 100% battery but i'll leave it charging over the night and try again tomorrow.

Edit: hard reseting the console makes it turn on and windows recognize it again :D
    But still same results....

EDIT: I GAVE UP AND UPDATED TO 5.1.0 AND NOW IT IS WORKING!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  13. Khim09

Khim09 GBAtemp Regular

Hello, I experienced that when I used exFat sdcard without installing the driver on my switch.. try using FAT32 for now and see if that will do.

14. Djinnvsl

Djinnvsl Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    It was on fat32 but I formated it in exFat and then updated my switch to 5.1.0 and now it's working... I hope there is no disadventages for updating from 4.1.0 to 5.1.0

15. Khim09

Khim09 GBAtemp Regular

Welp, no issues or any disadvantages I am experiencing so far.

16. joesixpack

joesixpack Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Complete noob here. I am just trying to read up on everything to make sure I understand what my steps should be.

I have a virgin 4.1 Switch. I checked to make sure it's not patched, but it is otherwise completely stock.

Anyway, I just discovered reinx.guide . Super clear and helpful, so I am almost certainly going to follow it. However, I am concerned about 1 thing. The guide seems to recommend updating to 5.1, then downloading exFat support automatically by inserting a exFat SD card. I definitely want exFat support.

Is updating to 5.1 the right thing? I always thought I should want to keep my firmware version as low as possible, and I remember reading somewhere that I should keep my switch on 4.1 or below, but that was an old recommendation.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  17. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    You can get exfat on any firmware using ChoiDujourNX (except 1.0)

18. joesixpack

joesixpack Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I've been reading the gbatemp ChoiDujourNX thread, but I thought the combination of ChoiDujourNX and ReiNX is not supported. Also, earlier in this thread, there are posts about ReiNX not supporting manual installation of the exFat driver. Is that old news and everything is playing nice now?

Is there a more detailed guide of how to install exFat with ChoiDujourNX? The instructions in the ChoiDujourNX release thread are somewhat skimpy.

19. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Yes, ReiNX now supports the usage of ChoiDujourNX. That information of not being compatible is now outdated. I myself used ChoiDujourNX to get exFAT on 4.1 and can confirm it is working fine.

20. alucard_xs

alucard_xs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    can we update nsp files with REiNX ?
    I've got update nsp files so I'm wondering.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Installation, STARTER, [GUIDE