Hacking [Guide] Fully Softmod Any Wii (everything you need)

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Deviyl said:
xzxero said:
imtony said:
I'm on 3.2 right now so which part would I start off at?
the beginning
+1.
Lol. Why would you assume you'd have to start anywhere other than the beginning?
If you are unsure, its better to ask than to just start
In this case starting wouldn't be negative though

coveiro24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A couple months ago I followed this tutorial that I found in the YouTube to softmod my Wii with the firmware 4.0E.

Load LoadMii

Run DowngraderIOS35.dol

run Wad Manager 1.4

Install IOS35.wad.

Run Wad Manager again, use IOS35

Now Install the CIOSv10.wad.

Run Wad Manager - Select IOS249.

Install IOS36.wad & HBC.wad

Now restart Wii

Launch the HomeBrew Channel and run WAD manager (dont change the IOS) and install IOS60patched.wad, then restart wii.

Launch the homebrew channel again and run cios rev10 installer

Make sure you Choose network install not wad install

Run IOSdowngrader

Run CIOSCORP

Run preloader 0.29

Now I want to install the last cios (ver14) and the firmware 4.1. I already have the files (dol files).
But what I need to know is which one of this I install first? And after I install this two files, I can still play the backup games throw the wii game channel?
And I have to install again the cioscorp and the preloader?

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4.0 to 4.1 shouldn't hurt anything with just the dol, but I'd recommend just getting a Nintendo update and following the guide from the start. You didn't mention any brick protection on your system-- and the guide will show you how all of this happens.

But if you don't want to, you're already on SM 4.0 so you won't need to bother with the new SM IOS, so installing the 4.1 dol should be fine (but if it's not, it's your fault you don't have brick protection..). Once you get the new SM installed, just install the new cIOS and it will overwrite the old one.

MurtenTK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I try to install the Hackmii installer but i can't find the installer.elf in the hackmii installer download, I only found a boot.elf.
I downloaded beta 3 by the way.
And Sorry if this is a noob question but I don't want my wii being bricked or something.

P.S. Sorry for bad english

imtony

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
imtony said:
I'm on 3.2 right now so which part would I start off at?
the beginning

Sorry about that, I wasnt clear lol. I'm softmodded from the Twilight hack already and I have HBC and all that , but I only have starloader and I'm not sure which IOS was the last one I used.

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MurtenTK said:
I try to install the Hackmii installer but i can't find the installer.elf in the hackmii installer download, I only found a boot.elf.
I downloaded beta 3 by the way.
And Sorry if this is a noob question but I don't want my wii being bricked or something.

P.S. Sorry for bad english
Boot.elf is the installer. Just put that on the root of your SD card.

imtony said:
xzxero said:
QUOTE(imtony @ Sep 18 2009, 09:17 PM) I'm on 3.2 right now so which part would I start off at?
the beginning

Sorry about that, I wasnt clear lol. I'm softmodded from the Twilight hack already and I have HBC and all that , but I only have starloader and I'm not sure which IOS was the last one I used.
HBC is fine, starwhatever is irrelevant. Upgrade to 4.1 via Nintendo. Follow the guide from step 1. You still don't have BootMii. And the HackMii installer (that installs BootMii) will let you install the up-to--date HomeBrewChannel as well.

bobo66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a total noob when it comes to wii, I got it for my 8 and 10 year old kids and I never play it but I wanted to try this.

I have menu 3.3 u.

I followed the guide above: The Getting HomeBrew and BootMii guide and loaded HBC and Bootmii as IOS.

When I went down to back up the NAND, i went to the HBC> home key> launch BootMii> when the four choice pop up (which include the gears, I can't make any selection) so I'm stuck.

I haven't installed any preloaded yet (I was told to use .28 with my menu).

The guide says I don't need a GameCube controller to use this screen, but since this screen isn't working should I just get one? or have I done something wrong?

Or should I just upgrade my menu to v4? and start over? and what, if any benefit is there to upgrading the menu?

Thanks.

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bobo66 said:
I am a total noob when it comes to wii, I got it for my 8 and 10 year old kids and I never play it but I wanted to try this.

I have menu 3.3 u.

I followed the guide above: The Getting HomeBrew and BootMii guide and loaded HBC and Bootmii as IOS.

When I went down to back up the NAND, i went to the HBC> home key> launch BootMii> when the four choice pop up (which include the gears, I can't make any selection) so I'm stuck.

The guide says I don't need a GameCube controller to use this screen, but since this screen isn't working should I just get one? or have I done something wrong?

Or should I just upgrade my menu to v4? and start over? and what, if any benefit is there to upgrading the menu?

Thanks.
First off, why did you choose not to upgrade to 4.1? There is absolutely no reason not to, and even more to that-- 3.3 is completely useless. So grab a Nintendo update before you do anything else. For your last question you might ask yourself, what are the benefits of not upgrading? You get to stay on an obsolete system menu? Nintendo updates these things for a reason, not just to get higher numbers out there. So to better answer you, there are various updates and features thrown into the new ones.

Once you upgrade, there will be no reason to use PreLoader .28 and you can use the up to date version like everyone else.

Next, BootMii does not have WiiMote support, like the guide says. You'll have to walk over to your Wii and press the buttons (illustrated in the guide) to make your selection.

bobo66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deviyl said:
bobo66 said:

I have menu 3.3 u.

Thanks.
First off, why did you choose not to upgrade to 4.1? There is absolutely no reason not to, and even more to that-- 3.3 is completely useless. So grab a Nintendo update before you do anything else. For your last question you might ask yourself, what are the benefits of not upgrading? You get to stay on an obsolete system menu? Nintendo updates these things for a reason, not just to get higher numbers out there. So to better answer you, there are various updates and features thrown into the new ones.

Once you upgrade, there will be no reason to use PreLoader .28 and you can use the up to date version like everyone else.

Next, BootMii does not have WiiMote support, like the guide says. You'll have to walk over to your Wii and press the buttons (illustrated in the guide) to make your selection.

As far as upgrading menus, I have no idea what benefit any of these different menu versions have. I have been reading about people downgrading and guides to downgrade from Ver 4 or 4.1. I was a bit concerned that if people were downgrading maybe there are some quirks with the later versions. I will follow the guide and upgrade menu's promptly, back up the NAND and then grab preloader.29.

Thanks.

Sorry about that I did miss the info about using the buttons while on that Bootmii screen (doh).

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People who continue to believe that SM 3.2 is in any way superior to 4.1 are simply misinformed (or stubborn), thus they will continually downgrade no matter how many times they hear that 4.1 has everything (bigger and better) that 3.2 had.

Also, downgrading new Wiis will brick them, which is why the idea has been completely abandoned in the new guides. A Nintendo update will work on any Wii.

3.2 has some wonderful things, don't get me wrong-- but all of those things are old and have been replaced with better.

The Model-T was wonderful for it's time, but how many people do you see driving them around still?

bobo66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deviyl said:
People who continue to believe that SM 3.2 is in any way superior to 4.1 are simply misinformed (or stubborn), thus they will continually downgrade no matter how many times they hear that 4.1 has everything (bigger and better) that 3.2 had.

Also, downgrading new Wiis will brick them, which is why the idea has been completely abandoned in the new guides. A Nintendo update will work on any Wii.

3.2 has some wonderful things, don't get me wrong-- but all of those things are old and have been replaced with better.

The Model-T was wonderful for it's time, but how many people do you see driving them around still?

Thanks for the input, you gotta understand I know nothing about gaming, with this stuff I am a complete noob, other stuff I know, this I don't, and I don't want to do anything to brick my kids wii. I rather ask and be sure, before I do anything that might not be able to be undone.

I've backed up the NAND and in trying to follow the guide to up grade the menu and IOS36 I have been getting "Failed to boot selected file" error when I try to run either the firmware or IOS36 upgrade.

I searched the site and saw reference to a sd format problem so I downloaded and ran this http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/ (the original link I found here dead-ended) reformatted the sd card and got the same problem..... any ideas? suggestion?

MurtenTK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I installed bootmii but it is installed as a ios. And if I boot my wii there doesnt happen anything just the system menu. So what is the point of bootmii as a IOS.
Can you actually debrick your wii with the IOS?

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bobo66 said:
Thanks for the input, you gotta understand I know nothing about gaming, with this stuff I am a complete noob, other stuff I know, this I don't, and I don't want to do anything to brick my kids wii. I rather ask and be sure, before I do anything that might not be able to be undone.

I've backed up the NAND and in trying to follow the guide to up grade the menu and IOS36 I have been getting "Failed to boot selected file" error when I try to run either the firmware or IOS36 upgrade.

I searched the site and saw reference to a sd format problem so I downloaded and ran this http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/ (the original link I found here dead-ended) reformatted the sd card and got the same problem..... any ideas? suggestion?Asking questions is fine. My rant wasn't really directed toward you, but just in general about the whole downgrading issue. Watch the video again and make sure you are doing everything exactly like it does. If you're doing it via network, make sure you click network install everywhere it asks. If you're doing wad install, make sure you have all the wads. Not sure what you mean by :either firmware or ios36 upgrade".. what firmware are you trying to upgrade? If you're following the guide, stick to it and don't do anything else that it doesn't say. Make sure you downgraded ios15 before patching ios36.

QUOTE(MurtenTK @ Sep 20 2009, 10:49 AM) I installed bootmii but it is installed as a ios. And if I boot my wii there doesnt happen anything just the system menu. So what is the point of bootmii as a IOS.
Can you actually debrick your wii with the IOS?
Right. Installing as IOS will not boot your Wii into BootMii. So, by itself, it is completely useless to a bricked Wii. Which is why, in my guide, it says you should install PreLoader if you have BootMii as ios. With PreLoader, you can boot into HomeBrew, and proceed to launch BootMii from there.

killmoves

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks Deviyl,

On my first time with my nephews' Wii I was already with the Kingston 2gb SD card loaded with all the files required and I follow every step on the intended order.

Above, I said the SD card was "loaded with all the files required" but that is not entirely truth. I forgot to add the IOS38 Wad file (since their Wii doesn't have internet connection) and after I installed PreLoader I turn off the Wii to save the IOS into the SD card.

After that I insert the SD card back on the Wii and turn it on, then I successfully loaded the IOS38 and finished installing Neogamma.

Now, their Wii works fine and is able to run backed up games (the main reason I did all that), but the Wii's original system doesn't work. When I try access from the PreLoader or the HBC I got a black screen saying the files are corrupted.

So I ask you, is this a expected outcome from all the hacking I just did or at some point something went wrong?

Thanks Again.

lekens123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi everyone !! i have a wii 4.1k and i cant use Hackmii v3 so i cant backup nand and also cant install HBC, do i have to install any IOS or cIOS first ?? thx !!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.