[Guide] Fully Softmod Any Wii (everything you need)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Deviyl, Jul 20, 2009.

Jul 20, 2009
  1. Deviyl
    OP

Member Deviyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Up to date as of October 1st, 2009.

Guide is a bit out of date and there's not really any point in updating it as there are more up to date and perfectly good guides out there.

Leaving the text here for historical value. =)
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Preloader is not a must.

3. WalkerOfTheDay

Member WalkerOfTheDay GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    No it's not, but I think it's the next best thing after BootMii. (Well the real best thing is common sense of course [​IMG] )

4. Deviyl
    OP

United States
    I know. =P I even stated that in the guide. But for people that have to install BootMii as boot2-- if they brick their Wii, there isn't another way to get to HBC without PreLoader, so they'd need it. But other than that, I pointed out that it's not necessary. But then.. if you're really feelin' lucky, you really don't need BootMii or a NAND backup either.

5. Unfortune

Member Unfortune GBAtemp Fan

Pakistan
    Don't you need to install a cIOS (249) before using Backup Launchers? You said
    In the Backup Launcher section, you don't say anything about install a cIOS.

6. WalkerOfTheDay

Netherlands
    Isn't it so that if you try to install preloader 0.29 to system menu 3.2 you'll end up bricking it ??
    Not sure, but if so please warn people about this, or let them upgrade to 4.0 / 4.1 first.

Maybe it's better to include upgrading altogether. What if people are on say 2.1 (if it exists LOL!)
    Wouldn't they run into trouble ?

Edit

Just checked the preloader sticky, and it will not brick you !

7. Unfortune

Member Unfortune GBAtemp Fan

Pakistan
    No, you won't brick it if you install on 3.2.

8. Deviyl
    OP

United States

I'm fairly certain that the HackMii installer from the first steps automatically get you cIOS rev11. Don't quote me on that though. =)

And including upgrading would be a bad idea for anyone reading this in the future. As it is now, the guide will work on any Wii that is out at the moment. If Nintendo decides to release a new update tomorrow that disables all of this.. wouldn't want people updating. Updating is a personal choice and can be left to the modder to decide.

9. fogbank

Member fogbank GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Not a chance.

10. WiiPower

Germany
    You have to be quoted on that one.

11. HiBit

Member HiBit GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    What? ;D

12. Deviyl
    OP

United States
    My mistake. =)
    Added remark to get cIOS with backup launcher to reflect this.

13. WalkerOfTheDay

Netherlands
    I can't agree with you on this one. What if someone has a system menu prior to 3.2 ??
    They would be missing a lot of IOS's for some games to run properly.

And what happens if you install Preloader on a System Menu prior to 3.2 ? Could be dangerous IMHO.
    And do you have a HACKS.INI that works on 3.1 / 3.3 / 3.4 ??

You could include Wanin's 4.0 / 4.1 updater, so nothing will get disabled. And if a new System Menu comes out
    Wani will probably create a new updater and you could edit your guide.

I do think this guide is heading in the right direction though. You have a clear way of explaining things.

14. hdhacker

Member hdhacker GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There's probably a very obvious answer why I'm wrong, but here goes:

Before you patch IOS 36, why couldn't you install CIOS first, then use CIOS 249 to downgrade IOS 36 in one step instead of mucking around with IOS 15? I just upgraded to 4.1 and had to repatch IOS 36. I used CIOS 249 and it worked fine.

Maybe it's a "chicken and the egg" thing where you can't install CIOS 249 until you downgrade IOS 36 on a virgin Wii?

15. Deviyl
    OP

United States
    You can skip the entire 36 downgrade on older Wiis, but on newer models, if you don't patch 36.. you'll brick your Wii with a cIOS. And preloader won't work either.

By the way-- walkeroftheday.. I'm working on adding some steps to upgrade safely to v4.0. Thanks for the advice on making it better.

16. WiiPower

Germany
    You don't know about trucha or boot2v4 Wiis. Without doing something to get trucha, you can't install a cIOS on virgin Wiis with 3.3v2 or higher. And on boot2v4 Wiis, downgrading other IOS than IOS15 is not an option.

17. hdhacker

Member hdhacker GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That makes sense. I don't have a LU64/LU65 Wii. However, I do want to install preloader on my friends LU64 Wii, so I will follow those steps carefully.

18. LurkyTheHamster

Newcomer LurkyTheHamster Member

United States
    I picked through this information before and got it all figured out. Learned a good bit in the process of figuring it out as well, but this guide is excellent for skipping that work.

Note to NEW NEW users: Preloader is a great application. Being safe is also a good thing. But in terms of 'getting things done' it's the majority of the work on this guide and can cause people issues. On one hand, be safe if you wish, on the other, it is OPTIONAL. Remember to make your own decisions. For example I play around with my Wii alot and have it installed. For a friend that isn't going to be doing anything else in terms of system modification and just wants to play backups, I wouldn't install it.

Also, if your going with the 'kill them with safety option' a hash check for the offline files can't hurt if your going that method.

IOS15-64-v257.wad
    0D1A46FD6C495C567E8A026BECB8CE50E65C25B6

IOS15-64-v266.wad
    9E8F4D23F9D326EC3A6176229D9FEEB71470AE96

IOS36-64-v3094.wad
    D13C84069376FD4FAF05F72AF4215C90ABE7A873

IOS37-64-v3612.wad
    FE023EE2270F5094F7864DCEDEA295B72E044E8A

Are the respective SHA-1 values of the files. Anyone can get a freeware hash check program and check these values quickly. Always gave me a peace of mind.

So, say you wanted to set up a sd card for a friend to use and want it easy as possible and no online access.

Banner Bomb -> Homebrew channel -> pre downloaded .wad files and hash checked -> TBR -> CIOS install -> Play your backups.

But I suppose there is no best option but the one that fits your situation. That was just mine.

I really like how this guide was presented. Hope you keep up the good work. [​IMG]

19. iamwally

Newcomer iamwally Member

United States
    Hi guys! Thanks for this guide. I have softmodded wii's previously using another guide and figured I would give this one a shot on a friend's wii and I am having some trouble. It is an LU64 and everything was going well until I installed Preloader. Now the wii boots into Preloader and when I try to get to the Sytemmenu it says that my system files are corrupted. How do I fix this and did I do something wrong?

Thanks,

iamwally

20. WalkerOfTheDay

Netherlands
    You're very lucky preloader still works. What firmware is this Wii on ?