Hacking [Guide] Fully Softmod Any Wii (everything you need)

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dfd said:
Hi all, I have managed to install the home brew channel on my wii and set up a hd loader with a maxtor 500gb hardrive, I done this before becoming a member of this site by following a guide which was good, I am running 3.1e and have installed preloader which I absolutely hate sadly and was wondering if anyone on here could help a newby out on how to get rid of it, i dont have the original wad 3.1e
wacko.gif
, would updating the firmware get rid of preloader, thanks to anyone that can help.Yup. Nintendo upgrade will take you to 4.1 and get rid of PreLoader. I wouldn't recommend doing away with it unless you have BootMii installed as boot2. Even without it, PreLoader is transparent. I have PreLoader and BootMii installed on my Wii and you'd never know either of them were there unless you knew how to get to them.
RavRob said:
Problems with NAND backup. I start the homebrew channel and press the home key. It takes me where to start the BootMii. I click on BootMii and it goes to the second screen but my wiimote dies. No more access to the menu.

Do I need the GC controler for this? I thought it was not necessary with the BootMii 3

Also, PreLoader never goes to where I have to press 1 to continue. It gives me the warning message but stays there for ever. What do I do? I have no protection against Brick at all without NAND backup and witout PreLoader.....

ThanksBootMiiv3 does not enable WiiMote support and BootMii probably never will. BootMiiv3 does not require a gamecube controller, but you can (if you read the guide you'd know this) use the hardware buttons on the Wii itself.
QUOTE(sk8mystery23 @ Sep 14 2009, 09:47 PM)
Okay here's my problem... well not problem... but anyway! I currently have a 3.2U Wii that has a whole bunch of random shit installed and i honestly cannot remember what it has... i believe its just like bootmii and some other random shit.. i really just wanna start from scratch and get the newest updates so i can play the latest shit...

Any help would be great [:

Thanks
-sk8mystery23
Nintendo upgrade to 4.1. Follow the guide. Anything old and outdated will be overwritten with the new better stuff. No point trying to "erase" stuff from your Wii as you'll usually just mess something up. If when you're done you still have an old channel or something, if you have the original wad you can uninstall with wad manager, if not, just go to settings, storage, channels, and delete it from there.

RavRob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Deviyl said:
BootMiiv3 does not enable WiiMote support and BootMii probably never will. BootMiiv3 does not require a gamecube controller, but you can (if you read the guide you'd know this) use the hardware buttons on the Wii itself.

Thanks for your help. I did read the guide.

QUOTESteps:

* Put the SD card in your Wii. For folks that installed as boot2, just make sure the BootMii folder is on the root of your SD card and restart your Wii. Continue 4 steps down.
* A HomeBrew channel should have appeared on the first page of your Wii channels. Start this channel.
* Press the Home button on your Wii remote.
* Press Launch BootMii.
* Your Wii will restart to a new menu. This is BootMii.
You will need a GameCube controller to use this screen if you installed as IOS (BootMii v2 or lower). If you installed as boot2 or BootMii v3 or greater, you can use the buttons on your Wii (power = move, reset = select, and eject = eject) to navigate.

As you can see it does talk about the GC controller. I just didn't realize they were talking about the Wii itself.

Now about PreLoader. I finally was able to load it but I did as in post below mine and it did finally come up but gives me all kind of errors and no hacks. Even if I restart in PreLoader when I try and get back to system menu it gives me an error like:
missing [ before n at line 139

What the heck is that. Then the only way out of that is to unplug the console. I selected the Hack.ini from the file in the how to and selected the one that said 4.1U which is what I updated my Wii to before starting all of this.

PreLoader not helping me at all in this state.

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Convenient how you only highlighted the part supporting your argument. You can clearly see immediately after the highlighted part that this statement only applies to BootMiiv2 or lower. The fact that you even highlighted a single part of anything only enhances my argument about not reading the guide. If that's the only part you read, then you've just proven me right. On the other hand, if you had read the entire statement (including the stuff following your red), you wouldn't have the question about the controller. I'm trying to help you, but don't argue with me about what my guide says and doesn't say.

And about your PreLoader, there is a bracket mismatch somewhere in your Hacks.ini file. Delete the entire thing for now just to make sure PreLoader works. Then you can go to the site posted in my guide and make sure you copy the entirety of the hacks file for your Wii without editing or changing anything.

RavRob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks again for your help. I am not trying to win an argument here. I wasn't sure if I misunderstood the guide and I questioned my way of thining, not the guide itself. After all you did say in your guide to ask any questions if things weren't clear.

Deviyl said:
If you're following the guide and find a step that doesn't make sense, please post or PM me and I will try to clear it up ASAP.

Well it wasn't clear to me. I see now that the part I didn't understand was the use of the "buttons" on the Wii. I, somehow, assumed Wii meant Wiimote....Duh! Now with your explanation it is clear it was on the console and my brain cells were screwed from all this stuff.

As for PreLoader, you were right (again). I checked the one I had with the one in the guide and somehow a few lines failed to copy when I C&P'd the good one. It all works great now thanks to you.

Cheers

M

myspacee

Hello and thank you, for nice guide.

In your opinion is mandatory install also DVDx to enable dvd reading (DVD video and DATA)

Ask this because i can't run any Gamecube loader using this gui, and think
it's a cios problem.

During softmod you have explained you let decide to install or not DVDx, this can influence
gamecube loader to work ?

I've request help also there but think is important say
that gamecube loader may have problem using mios level suggested.

Thank you again for any help and reply,

m.

Suiton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
I followed all steps, but Neogamma r7 (non-wad) gives a cannot read error 1101. Is it a burning defect for sure, or did I do something wrong?

Hyuukai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have followed everything in the guide, do i need some special loader to load games of a hard drive? and also gamecube games do i need s special launcher? if so can you recommend some please

sk8mystery23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the help.. when i get a chance ill update and shiz.. will this install the the loader that boots my games in the disc channel instead of having to launch something else?

Infectedlie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
literally(less then 20 minutes ago) just bricked a friend's wii using this guide. I've done 4 Wii's before, and this is the first time I've ever actually experienced a brick. trying to back it up with the nand.bin I had created earlier gives no positive results... basically just the system menu is broken happened after I was updating his firmware to 4.0 from 3.4u.

regardless of this, thanks for the guide(which I used the other four times)

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
myspacee said:
Hello and thank you, for nice guide.

In your opinion is mandatory install also DVDx to enable dvd reading (DVD video and DATA)

Ask this because i can't run any Gamecube loader using this gui, and think
it's a cios problem.

During softmod you have explained you let decide to install or not DVDx, this can influence
gamecube loader to work ?

I've request help also there but think is important say
that gamecube loader may have problem using mios level suggested.

Thank you again for any help and reply,

m.
DVDx is not mandantory for anything unless you plan on watching dvds. GameCube games do not work with the cIOS from this guide as they are something entirely different. You need an mIOS or something for GameCube games.

Suiton said:
I followed all steps, but Neogamma r7 (non-wad) gives a cannot read error 1101. Is it a burning defect for sure, or did I do something wrong?Could possibly be a bad burn. You're using dvd-r?

Hyuukai said:
I have followed everything in the guide, do i need some special loader to load games of a hard drive? and also gamecube games do i need s special launcher? if so can you recommend some pleaseFor usb loading, you can use usb laoder gx, coverflow, configurable usb loader.. depends on your preference. For GameCube games, I'd have to search.

QUOTE(sk8mystery23 @ Sep 16 2009, 08:07 PM) thanks for the help.. when i get a chance ill update and shiz.. will this install the the loader that boots my games in the disc channel instead of having to launch something else?
Nope. That's cIOSCORP. If you don't know what you're doing, good chance you'll end up bricking-- if not by installing then definitely by uninstalling. I've never found anything wrong with a separate channel to load disks. Sure it's cool to load from the disk channel, but rewriting all of your IOSs seems like way too much work for something so trivial.

QUOTE(Infectedlie @ Sep 16 2009, 08:37 PM)
literally(less then 20 minutes ago) just bricked a friend's wii using this guide. I've done 4 Wii's before, and this is the first time I've ever actually experienced a brick. trying to back it up with the nand.bin I had created earlier gives no positive results... basically just the system menu is broken happened after I was updating his firmware to 4.0 from 3.4u.

regardless of this, thanks for the guide(which I used the other four times)
Use NUSD to download and install the proper SM if you can't restore NAND.

M

myspacee

thank you for reply.

Can you suggest which mIOS can play GC games, and some suggestion to solve this issue ?

Maybe poit where modify your (very well done) guide ?

Thank you again for support,

m.

RRoD420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RRoD420 said:
I did an official nintendo update before doing this guide as i wanted to go back to virgin.

I can install wiiware wads from Wad Manager 1.4 and they work great, but the VC games go to a black screen? I was able to run any VC or WiiWare channel with my old 3.2 setup but now only the VC games are not working. I read something about patching IOS60 although this might be outdated. When I use IOS60_Patcher or try to install IOS60patched.wad it corrupts the system menu. At that point I reinstall Preloader and it loads normal again. Still VC games won't load?

Any advice Deviyl? thanks, awesome guide! VERY simple.

While experimenting I installed cIOScorp3.4 but some of the games didn't load properly so I used the uninstaller (for OLD wii's - pre lu64+) which installed all my IOS's with the trucha bug and now all my non-working VC games are working! (since i did the official nintendo update all my IOS's were updated and did not contain the trucha bug) The VC games are still not working on an LU64+ wii I modded but I won't mess with it already bricked 1 (can't install previous versions of IOS's on LU64+). Just an FYI for anyone else having the same problem, don't know exactly what happened but looks like the VC games needed IOS with trucha? Anyway everything is working great, you guys really figured out a SIMPLE way to mod ANY wii. Anyone having problems with this, you missed something because I tried this on several wii's (new and old systems) and all are working great! THANK YOU!

nwmalik

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Hi, new to this forum.I liked your guide very much specially compared to others.
i have japanese Wii 3.2j with some unknown chip. This used to work before but newer games give error 001. So did softmod.
Third step "Patching IOS36" failed. But was able to complete the remaining steps.
But still cannot play backup games and get the same 001 error.
During installation i also got another error 1035.
Please help so i can play backups. This my only interest.

sk8mystery23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sk8mystery23 said:
thanks for the help.. when i get a chance ill update and shiz.. will this install the the loader that boots my games in the disc channel instead of having to launch something else? QUOTENope. That's cIOSCORP. If you don't know what you're doing, good chance you'll end up bricking-- if not by installing then definitely by uninstalling. I've never found anything wrong with a separate channel to load disks. Sure it's cool to load from the disk channel, but rewriting all of your IOSs seems like way too much work for something so trivial.

So i already have that installed... do i need to do something to get rid of it or will it be overwritten anyway?

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea how it'll react if you mess with it. I don't have a Wii that I'd be willing to brick to test it.. but you're more than welcome to try..

This is one of the reasons cIOSCORP is talked badly about and not recommended. Too much nonsense and trouble for nothing (nothing functionally extra).

the real SUX2BU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done about 30 wii's with this guide. It rocks! But.....
Last night i encountered a Wii that wouldn't take the bannerbomb and the channels screen. Eek! They had just done a Nintendo update earlier that day, I hope Nintendo didn't change the update to make this stop working. I'll work on it more today.

RRoD420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the real SUX2BU said:
Last night i encountered a Wii that wouldn't take the bannerbomb and the channels screen. Eek! They had just done a Nintendo update earlier that day, I hope Nintendo didn't change the update to make this stop working. I'll work on it more today.

copy bannerbomb over to your SD card again, then go into data management, channels, SD - THEN insert the sd card ;p

the real SUX2BU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RRoD420 said:
the real SUX2BU said:

copy bannerbomb over to your SD card again, then go into data management, channels, SD - THEN insert the sd card ;p
Yeah i figured it out when i downloaded bannerbomb again. Somehow my "private" folder with bannerbomb in it was MIA from my SD card. I've done this about 30 times so i knew i was doing everything right, but i sold my SD card to a friend with all the NES SNES games on it and when i copied all the files onto my new card i guess i left of the private folder.

Hyuukai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for all the question but for wii ware games can you just run them as wad's in homebrew? also can i go online with a backuped up game without any problems? or will they know ive modded my console?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eTlZ0qcSZf4?si=0vpkdIWplaLMFVqv