Hacking [Guide] Change emuNAND Region

honyo29

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
is the link for the toolkit dead? cannot download it. need mirror.
and also any update to simplify some steps? (as this guide was last edited on july)

gualala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure for local play and download play, the game needs to be the same region as your emunand.
I changed my n3ds jap to emunand usa so it could comnect to my o3ds usa for mk7

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
So I have a problem. I recently managed to change my emunand from EUR to USA, cleaned up the titles and installed a us mii plaza from .cia but it keeps giving me An Error Has Occured please shut down your system riiight after I select my mii to be used in streetpass.

I've tried formatting, I downloaded the mii plaza .cia via 3dnus. I even tried from a fresh un-cleared region change. Still no dice. I'm having a feeling that my .cia is busted. Going give it a shot real soon. otherwise though,

Any knows what might have gone wrong?

Excuse me for bumping this thread again, but finally figured out the 'crash' problem.
Realizing it is caused by keyboard (not the problem of Streetpass Mii Plaza), I studied the 3dbrew title list.
Found some ?? under 0004009B - System Data Archives, and knowing there are 4 keyboard languages in USA console (1 in JPN console), I downloaded the v0 titles from NUS and installed as CIA:
0004009B00011402
0004009B00011602
0004009B00011D02
0004009B00011E02
Volia! My Streetpass Mii Plaza is working again! Also the folder rename, etc...

P.S. Somehow the 'firmware CIA pack' I downloaded did not contain these titles. Hmmm...
Just incase anyone had/have issues with keyboard related things like streetpass mii plaza crazThis is the fix. download these titles with 3DNUS and install them.

Last edited by Arithmatics,
Reactions: Akira

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Ok.....i'm doing what you said, i hope it will work

Edit: i've done what you said but still the same error....it freezes on a black when i try to boot the emunand...
i noticed that after i installed all the cias of the usa region and after i close BBM the ds say to me to not remove the sd without turning off the ds
What is the problem? @VerseHell
Did you somehow fix the problem in the end? I'm doing almost the same thing, but I tried to region change from NA to JP on my 2ds. I encountered the same black screen problem. As soon as I inject back the original secureinfo the emunand agrees to boot again.

I tried the same procedure on my japan n3ds and had no problem at all. I'm speculating if 2ds really handles secureinfo differently compared to other modules. I found Riku's post suggesting us to firstly do a downgrade to 4.5 then do the region change. Although I don't know the reason behind this, we can't try this either since it'll cause a soft-brick on 2ds.

Real.96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Did you somehow fix the problem in the end? I'm doing almost the same thing, but I tried to region change from NA to JP on my 2ds. I encountered the same black screen problem. As soon as I inject back the original secureinfo the emunand agrees to boot again.

I tried the same procedure on my japan n3ds and had no problem at all. I'm speculating if 2ds really handles secureinfo differently compared to other modules. I found Riku's post suggesting us to firstly do a downgrade to 4.5 then do the region change. Although I don't know the reason behind this, we can't try this either since it'll cause a soft-brick on 2ds.
This procedure can't be done on 2ds....btw you can use ntr cfw, it can do the same thing, without changing the emunand

mijuu

Trophies
XP
Country

This guide is outdated try
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3ds-nand-secureinfo-tool-for-region-change.383792/
and
https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-region-change-tutorial-easy-way.386207/

Last edited by mijuu,

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Thanks to the reply, but actually neither link is relative to my situation. Even if this guide is outdated, it still provides the knowledge of basic steps we need to follow. The only thing changed recently is that we have several handy tools which could help us to do the job easier.

I already mentioned my concern regarding to Riku's post as well as the necessity of downgrading to 4.5. I'm pretty sure the problem is 2DS specific, since I followed this guide and succeeded region changing my n3ds's emunand region. And also as a 2DS user we don't have the option of downgrading to 4.5. I'm more curious about what's the difference between 2DS and other models that made region changing impossible.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Thanks to the reply, but actually neither link is relative to my situation. Even if this guide is outdated, it still provides the knowledge of basic steps we need to follow. The only thing changed recently is that we have several handy tools which could help us to do the job easier.

I already mentioned my concern regarding to Riku's post as well as the necessity of downgrading to 4.5. I'm pretty sure the problem is 2DS specific, since I followed this guide and succeeded region changing my n3ds's emunand region. And also as a 2DS user we don't have the option of downgrading to 4.5. I'm more curious about what's the difference between 2DS and other models that made region changing impossible.
maybe i misunderstand you, but to change region, you don't have to go back to 4.5.
but, that is what i did in my PoC about a year ago, just to make it easy :)
and also nativefirm was a little problem lol

2ds and 4.5 are not friends, because you need to activate the 3d slider in 4.5 on the first boot.
maybe the welcome screen can be skipped, it must be possible.
maybe replace the old system settings with a 2ds friendly one, maybe not...

anyway, i'm certain it is possbile to region change the 2ds

Last edited by cearp,

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
This procedure can't be done on 2ds....btw you can use ntr cfw, it can do the same thing, without changing the emunand
Yes I know NTR and I'm already using it. I'm just curious of the procedure of region changing so I just wanted to try it out. Do you know why the secureinfo fails to work on 2DS? And why several other tutorials ask us to downgrade first before region changing?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

maybe i misunderstand you, but to change region, you don't have to go back to 4.5.
but, that is what i did in my PoC about a year ago, just to make it easy :)
and also nativefirm was a little problem lol
Yes, I know the native frim could be a problem. But on 2DS, I tried region changing on 9.2 as well as firstly upgrade to 10.3 then change the region on that version. Neither method works. I'm pretty sure it is the secureinfo which prevents the region-changed emunand to work. I extracted the JPN secure info from my own n3ds, and after injecting it into the emunand, the console freezes in black after launching GW through browser. I tried several injecting methods, all led to the same result. As soon as I inject back the original secure info, the emunand agrees to boot again. That's why I believe that the secureinfo is not inter-changeable between all models.

The interesting part is that I followed the same procedure and successfully changed my JPN n3ds to NA region, using my 2DS's secure info. I directly updated from 9.2J to 9.5U without any problem. I'm sure I missed nothing about region changing. Possibly Native firm is neither a relative problem at all. Maybe next time I'll try a combined downgrade with 6.0 mest and 4.5 system tiltes before region changing. But I don't think it will work.

Last edited by wsquan171,

Real.96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes I know NTR and I'm already using it. I'm just curious of the procedure of region changing so I just wanted to try it out. Do you know why the secureinfo fails to work on 2DS? And why several other tutorials ask us to downgrade first before region changing?

Yes, I know the native frim could be a problem. But on 2DS, I tried region changing on 9.2 as well as firstly upgrade to 10.3 then change the region on that version. Neither method works. I'm pretty sure it is the secureinfo which prevents the region-changed emunand to work. I extracted the JPN secure info from my own n3ds, and after injecting it into the emunand, the console freezes in black after launching GW through browser. I tried several injecting methods, all led to the same result. As soon as I inject back the original secure info, the emunand agrees to boot again. That's why I believe that the secureinfo is not inter-changeable between all models.

The interesting part is that I followed the same procedure and successfully changed my JPN n3ds to NA region, using my 2DS's secure info. I directly updated from 9.2J to 9.5U without any problem. I'm sure I missed nothing about region changing. Possibly Native firm is neither a relative problem at all. Maybe next time I'll try a combined downgrade with 6.0 mest and 4.5 system tiltes before region changing. But I don't think it will work.
The 2ds sysnand can't be downgraded. Maybe that can be one of the problems

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
The 2ds sysnand can't be downgraded. Maybe that can be one of the problems
No that's not the critical reason. It can't be downgraded only because the 4.5 mset will cause a soft brick on initial settings. In order to region change a system, downgrade is not necessary. I've succeeded changing from 9.2J to 9.5U in 1 step on my n3ds.

Real.96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No that's not the critical reason. It can't be downgraded only because the 4.5 mset will cause a soft brick on initial settings. In order to region change a system, downgrade is not necessary. I've succeeded changing from 9.2J to 9.5U in 1 step on my n3ds.
Ok, but the if you try to make an emunand language changing of the 2DS it doesn't work. Maybe the problem is the same as the downgrade

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious about the 2DS downgrade problem. If one had Cubic Ninja or OOT3D, might it be possible to autoboot on a lower firmware version, bypassing the system initialization?
https://3dbrew.org/wiki/Home_Menu#Auto-Boot_Function said:
R, X, Y, A, and B, a 3DS gamecard must be inserted as well. - This launches the gamecard application. Note that pressing the HOME button in the gamecard application launched this way will only result in the system shutting down.
I tested this on my 9.2 system just now and it didn't work, but I'm wondering if that might be something that was present in older firmwares and not in newer ones. (Also, I have MenuHax installed which might perhaps bypass this, but I tried keeping the buttons held down while it booted into emuNAND -- 10.3 btw -- and it didn't start there either.) Or does it require specifically games that have an autoboot flag set? The wiki isn't very clear on that, but it really sounds like they're saying the button combo works with any 3DS game. The only thing I'm not sure about is if the system settings are lost completely (eg no Internet connection configured) if it's possible to have the payload? Can one, perhaps, load a save to the cartridge with the payload installed from another system that was on that same system version and region before doing this? It only needs the Internet connection for the initial setup of the hack after all.

Anyway, this is more a curiosity wondering if it might help someone else is all. I won't be downgrading my 2DS to 4.5. I don't need to region change its emuNAND and never will need to and the only benefit I can think of for 4.x is really old homebrew software that still hasn't been updated for any of the far far better modern methods. (Not much left these days, but last I checked some of the stuff to convert ROMs for VC use for instance was still 4.x. Sadly a downgraded mset with the DS profile exploit doesn't work with these on a 2DS as I used that for the longest time before MenuHax finally came out.)

What's this one step process exactly? I'm hoping to do a Japanese New 3DS in the near future (I'm still mad at Nintendo for not offering a small New 3DS model in the US. Believe it or not, not all Americans are huge ham-fisted football players) and would like to keep it as simple as possible since the more steps, the more likely one will screw up. Do you think this will work with BrowserHax now that it works up to 10.3? Cubic Ninja is becoming impossible these days and I can't find any sort of safe place to buy Sky3DS even if I'm willing to (which I'm really not sure about as it is. It too is a big ripoff and the websites selling it don't even use security and then try to make fraudulent charges on your credit card immediately after you enter its info... I sort of considered doing it, convincing myself that it might make a good emergency backup though I hate it and all its limitations and price and then after all this I basically decided I really don't want to spend all that money for something I'd probably only ever use one time...)

Last edited by Nazosan,

Sam_SpadeR

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Guys, big question: for a Japanese New Nintendo 3ds changing the region would be possible only with a physical copy of cubic ninja or I can make it with a Cubic Ninja via version?

Thanks.

UraKn0x

Official senpai
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Guys, big question: for a Japanese New Nintendo 3ds changing the region would be possible only with a physical copy of cubic ninja or I can make it with a Cubic Ninja via version?

Thanks.
You do not need cubic ninja anymore. HomeMenuHax or BrowserHax are enough.

That being said, I came here because I couldn't figure out how to get the soft keyboard working on my region changed emunand (N3DS 9.5.0-23E -> J).
I've tried several things such as downloading the keyboard CIA with 3DNUS (I tried all the versions I could), downloading it from that ISO site, but nothing worked.
I mean, it works in the Web Browser and in some games, but when I try to rename a folder on the home menu, or in some other games, it just crashes (it may bring up an error or just freeze depending on which version I installed).
Could someone help me?

Reactions: Sam_SpadeR

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4FTASzSPThM?si=i8JRmmFkpcXXIT7o +1