OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm9LoaderHax General Q&A
Luma3DS ( Custom Firmware aka CFW) & Homebrew Launcher​

Please feel free to ask question so we can answer them and add it to the guide

1. How do I install an arm9loaderhax powered custom firmware?
Follow Plailect's guide step by step. Also, you can join the discussion thread for questions regarding the setup process.
2. How can I update the Custom firmware?
Before you do anything make sure to go into the "luma" folder of your 3DS SD Card and change the following names if you havent done it already
  • Rename your <button>.bin to <button>_<name>.bin. (e.g. rename x.bin to x_uncart.bin)
  • Rename your default.bin to def_<payloadname>.bin. (e.g. rename default.bin to def_Dec9.bin)
Now there are two ways to upgrade Luma3DS
Download the latest Luma3DS and extra the “luma” and “arm9loaderhax.bin” files to the root of you SD Card. Then merge the folder/file which will cause the old files to be overwritten.
Dont use it this application yet. Has to be update since firmware name was change. Download arnupdate and copy the files to the root of the 3DS SD Card. Boot up the 3DS and enter the Homebrew Launcher. Then choose arnupdate and follow the on screen instructions.
3. How do I know if the custom firmware updated properly?
Turn your system on while pressing the [SELECT] button at the same time. It will bring up the configuration screen. On the top you'll be able to see the CFW version
68747470733a2f2f7667792e6d652f6b354f6c4d6f2e706e67
4. What do the options in the configuration screen mean?
Visit Configurations Options for an in depth detail explanation of each function.
Recommended setting--Use the A button and the D-Pad to turn on the following:
  • "Autoboot SysNAND"
  • "Use SysNAND FIRM as default (A9LH-only)"
  • "Force A9LH detection"
  • "Show current NAND in System Settings"
  • "Show GBA boot screen in patched AGB_FIRM"
  • If you are using a New 3DS, you should also enable the following:
  • Toggle "New 3DS CPU" to "CLock+L2(x)" for improved game performance
  • “Enable splash screen with screen-init’- Only enable it if using a custom boot image/animation
Press Start to save and reboot
5. Can I change the boot animation?
There are currently two way to do this
  • Place an image for the top screen (SD:/luma/splash.bin)
  • An image for the bottom screen (SD:/luma/splashbottom.bin)
You can place either of the files above, or both of them at the same time. You can convert your own splash screen images here or find ones made by others here. Boot is delayed if you place either file on the SD card.
  • Take your arm9loaderhax.bin file and move it inside the 'anim' directory then remane it 'arm9payload.bin'. Then, you take BootAnim9's arm9loaderhax.bin and place it in the root of your SD card.
  • The installation files can be found here and sample animations made by the community can be found here
If BootAnim9 hangs on a white screen when the animation(s) finish playing, then it means it can't find '/anim/arm9payload.bin'
6.What other feature does Luma3DS have?
If you hold the following [BUTTON] while powering the system this will happen
  • [SELECT] : Boots up Luma3DS configurations settings
  • [START]: Launches Decrypt9. A full feature NAND recovery tool
  • [Y]: Launches EmuNAND9: A full feature RedNand and SD management tool
7. How do I switch from Cake CFW to Luma3DS?
You can find the necessary files from "Section I - Preparatory work" then follow the directions bellow
  • Delete the Decrypt9 folder from the root of your SD card if you have one - no Decrypt9 folder
  • Copy the a9lh folder from data_input.zip to the root of your SD Card
  • Copy and merge the a9lh folder from payload_input.zip to the root of your SD Card
  • Copy arm9loaderhax.bin and the luma folder from the Luma3DS zip to the root of your SD card
  • Create a new folder called payloads in the /luma/ folder
  • Copy Decrypt9WIP.bin from the Decrypt9WIP zip to the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card
  • In the /luma/payloads folder, rename Decrypt9WIP.bin to def_Dec9.bin
  • Copy and merge the 3DS folder from the EmuNAND9 zip to the root of your SD card
  • Copy EmuNAND9.bin from the EmuNAND9 zip to the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card
  • In the /luma/payloads folder, rename EmuNAND9.bin to y_EmuN9.bin
  • Copy Uncart.bin from the Uncart zip to the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card
  • In the /luma/payloads folder, rename Uncart.bin to x_Uncart.bin
  • Copy firmware.bin from the Luma3DS NTR Firmware zip to the /luma/ folder on your SD card
  • Copy MiniPasta.3dsx and MiniPasta.smdh to the /3ds/ folder on your SD card
8. How to remove arm9loaderhax and go back to stock?
Copy the sysNAND_original.bin to the root of your SD Card. Then hold [START] while booting up the system to load Decrypt9. Once loaded pick "SysNAND options" --> "SysNAND Backup/Restore" --> "NAND Restore" and choose the sysNAND.bin. Reboot system and you should be back to stock
9. If I get rid of the arm9loaderhax. What would be an easy way to get it back?
Right now we are assuming you are on SysNAND 9.2 and already have your OTP key. You have to put the files from "Section I - Preparatory work" in your SD Card then enter the Homebrew Launcher and start MiniPasta. Reenter the Homebrew Launcher and install the console OTP with SafeA9LHInstaller.
10. How do I upgrade my SD size? Example 8GB to 32GB
  • If you are in updated SysNAND mode you only have to copy all files from the 8GB SD-Card to the 32GB SD-Card. (If you follow the guide in question 1 this is the default mode)
  • Insert the 32GB SD Card in your 3DS then boot up the system while holding [Y] this will boot up EmuNand. Then pick "SD Format Options' --> "Format SD (no EmuNAND).
  • Then press [SELECT] to unmount SD. Place the 8GB SD Card into the system and press
  • Choose "EmuNAND Manager Options" -->"Backup EmuNAND to file" follow the onscreen instructions and name it emunand.bin
  • Press [SELECT] to unmount SD. The copy the emunand.bin file to the 32GB SD Card
  • Put it back in the 3ds and press
  • Choose "EmuNAND Manager Options" -->"Restore file to EmuNAND " follow the on screen instructions
  • Afterwards press [START] to reboot system
11.Can I transfer files wirelessly to the 3ds so I don't have to remove the SD Card every time?
    • On 2DS or 3DS open the Homebrew Launcher then choose “Super ftBRONY II Turbo”. Look at the IP and Port number
    • On FileZilla use the IP address for Host and Port number for the Port. Leave the Username and Password field empty. Then press quick connect
    • Transfer the files by dragging and dropping
    • Once you are done press twice on ftBRONY app
12. How do I install game backups?
Piracy is illegal. You know that. I know that. Now lets continue
  • For 2DS & 3DS games the format is cia. For example MarioKart7.cia
  • To install the games go to the Health and Safety app (which is now a CIA installer aka FBI CIA INSTALLER).
  • Press [L] to switch Destination to SD Card. When installing games always make sure the destination is the SDCard ( It should be SDCard by default)
  • Find the game file you place in your SD Card then click [A] on a file to install it. Press[X] to install all the games in that specific folder
  • Press [R] to switch Mode. After installing games you can swith Mode to delete the files
13. How do I backup my games save files?
Download JK's Save Manager then install the cia file on to your 3DS. Run the app and follow onscreen instructions
14. Can I play games from a different region?
Yes, Luma3DS has a Region Free Patch build in
15. How to install more Homebrew Apps
    • Check out the list of Homebrew apps here
    • The download the file probably inside a zip folder.
    • If the zip file has a 3ds folder on it just copy it to the root of the SD Card and it will merge them otherwise follow the specific homebrew instruction
16. How do I install Emulators?
Follow JJTapia19's guide
17. How to I change my system themes
There are two ways to do this
You can download theme cia file (that you own) then install them and apply them like a regular theme
  • Download CHMM2 from the official thread and merge the 3ds folder with the one in your SD Card
  • Download the themes from (https://3dsthem.es/).
  • Extract the theme zip file to a folder. For examples Goku.zip will be extracted and created a Goku folder with all the files on the theme inside that folder
  • Place that folder inside the Theme folder located on the root of the SDCard.
  • If you dont have one just created oneOpen the CHMM2 app then press [A] to apply it

Credit: NO PARTICULAR ORDER. If I miss someone let me know
@WHOEVER CREATED HOMEBREW LAUNCHER
@Plailect for creating arm9loaderhax guide
@Aurora Wright for creating Luma3DS
@Wolfvak for creating BootAnim9
@sweatbox for his answer on my question thread
@Quantumcat for her guide
@JK_ for his save manager
@JJTapia19 for his emulator guide
@Rinnegatamante for her CHMM2 application
@Hamcha for his updator

Guide Version: 1.1
updated custom firmware name

Last edited by PECONAUT,

PECONAUT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does this have to do with A9LH?
This is just a general guide that I am hoping to build up with community questions. This guide it intended for people who just receive an hack 3ds and dont know what the next step is. For example if you cousin hack your 3ds. that person would know the whole process. I am planning to build it with more technical questions.

luxandark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems more like an ARN Q&A, and even then, there's a topic stickied already called "3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here". Not that most people seem to use it anyway.

Reactions: astronautlevel

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
  • How to remove arm9hax and go back to stock?
  • To go back to stock just flash your nand.bin Backup from your 9.2 Sysnand-Backup pre a9lh.
  • How do I upgrade my sd card?
  • If you are in updated SysNAND you have only to copy all files from the 16GB SD-Card to the 32GB SD-Card.
    If you have Emu-/RedNAND you need to Format the 32GB SD-Card with EmuNand9. Then you have to Backup your current Emu-/RedNAND and copy all stuff from the 16GB SD-Card to the 32GB SD-Card. Now restore your backuped Emu-/RedNAND to your Emu-/RedNAND and you are finished. Your content will be deleted
  • If I get rid of the arm9loaderhax. What would be an easy way to get it backIf I get rid of it. What would be an easy way to get it back?
  • Till you have your consolespecific OTP and you are still on 9.2 SysNAND just go into your prefered Homebrewlaucher-Entrypoint, start MiniPasta and reenter the Homebrewlaucher. Now install it with the SafeA9LHInstaller again.
This section is confusing. Try to visually separate Q's and A's like you did elsewhere.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Seems more like an ARN Q&A, and even then, there's a topic stickied already called "3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here". Not that most people seem to use it anyway.

Quite a lot of people actually. More than you'd think. I'm trying to keep up with the questions throughout the day and now the thread has over 1000 pages.

But I do think it is a good thing this is made. The layout could be a bit better, especially on mobile. Maybe use spoilers to separate them?

PECONAUT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True will see how this one goes. Hoping to get a lot of questions and making it simple for new people

if its bad and no need for it ill close it down

Can you add a guide for changing from Cakes to AuReinand? And, can you write a list of files that a lot of people will have in their SD card after finishing, that they can delete?

Ill add it when I get home

This section is confusing. Try to visually separate Q's and A's like you did elsewhere.

Yeah i just copy and paste the information. I am currently at work will update everything once I get home. Giving people proper credit

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Quite a lot of people actually. More than you'd think. I'm trying to keep up with the questions throughout the day and now the thread has over 1000 pages.

But I do think it is a good thing this is made. The layout could be a bit better, especially on mobile. Maybe use spoilers to separate them?
Thanks Ill update once I get home currently at work, Ill do the spoiler idea

Reactions: luxandark

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So AuReiNand got renamed to Luma3DS? Better note that down somewhere in the guide since we've all been saying aureinand and when noobs Google that (if they do that....) they won't find anything.

You shoud probably add something about emulators for gba games and updated sysnand mode. Pros and cons of A9LH maybe? For inspiration for questions, read some pages of the noob thread ;)

Last edited by Temarile,

PECONAUT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So AuReiNand got renamed to Luma3DS? Better note that down somewhere in the guide since we've all been saying aureinand and when noobs Google that (if they do that....) they won't find anything.

You shoud probably add something about emulators for gba games and updated sysnand mode. Pros and cons of A9LH maybe? For inspiration for questions, read some pages of the noob thread ;)
Good idea I'll add that
Looks pretty good!

Two things, didn't know I made a guide and I'm a her not a him :-)

Well you made that thread and thats how I found out about switching firmware which I found it useful and my bad I'll update

Reactions: Quantumcat

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for making this thread! You might want to specify that the sysnand.bin you need to remove A9LH must be a SysNAND.bin dump before A9LH was installed. (Following the Plailect guide, the file would typically be called "sysNAND_original.bin")

PECONAUT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for making this thread! You might want to specify that the sysnand.bin you need to remove A9LH must be a SysNAND.bin dump before A9LH was installed. (Following the Plailect guide, the file would typically be called "sysNAND_original.bin")

Thanks I updated the guide

Reactions: CrispyYoshi

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
how can i update arm9loaderhax? alternative question, should we or can it be updated?
(i am talking about the part that is installed in the SYSNAND)

what are the differences between cakes and luma? cons and pros, features etc of either cfw?

Last edited by migles,

PECONAUT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how can i update arm9loaderhax? alternative question, should we or can it be updated?
(i am talking about the part that is installed in the SYSNAND)

what are the differences between cakes and luma? cons and pros, features etc of either cfw?

Arm9LoaderHax can't be update only the firmware.

Luma3DS. Has Signature Checks disabled by default, AGB_FIRM patching (play gba games), TWL_FIRM (play 3ds flash cards, Updated sysNAND support, Payload Chain loading (quick boot into designated app by pressing specific bottonn),Reboot patch for GBA and high-memory games, n3DS Clock Speed plugin, second EmuNand options

CakeFW. Has signature check but not by default. AGB_Firm but no TWL_FIRM. Multiple EmuNand options. The fact to make custom patches with the .cake format but no a lot of development.

If I miss something please feel free to add to it

Sinfulmatik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I successfully completed the A9lH process following Plailect's guide. I did it with a 8gb card with Updated Sysnand+Luma3ds. Now I want to update to a 64gb card with a 64k format. How can I go about doing this. Any info will help. 10Q!.

Crap nevermind. I missed the part of SD upgrade. *facepalm

Last edited by Sinfulmatik,

PECONAUT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I successfully completed the A9lH process following Plailect's guide. I did it with a 8gb card with Updated Sysnand+Luma3ds. Now I want to update to a 64gb card with a 64k format. How can I go about doing this. Any info will help. 10Q!.

Crap nevermind. I missed the part of SD upgrade. *facepalm

Glad it work out

This is a tidy section. What about listing the benefits of using sysnand only over emunand and vice versa?

Thanks I'll update it on Sunday cause that my only day free

RacsoSakuraba

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Last edited by RacsoSakuraba,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: where are my cute girls