Homebrew GUI Forwarder

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Why do you call it a "Forwarder" ? This is a dol loader (from SD,USB and DVD I assume) like the HBC or other existing loaders. Or does it launch installed channels as well ?
Though, I agree this one seems to have more configurable options and a more Wii-ish look than other loaders

ddp127

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
forwarder and dol loader are the same
tongue.gif

JQE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I disagree on the pointless comment. It will have more features soon, but the goal is that it will be limited application forwarder. This way i can limit my sons usage, he can use this and know he can access whatever he wants from there.

I am working on adding the ability to run installed channels, but it's tougher than i expected.

The only reason i call it a forwarder is cause it loads the dols from outside, maybe it's not anymore, but it's just the way i see it.

Finally, i had the wrong files in the zip. The dol is now in the zip.

THe GUIF folder goes in the root of the SD card (or any where you configure it to go).

Next version should have changeable backgroun, and i think i will change the DVD Button to being a button.

I have some more ideas to, (b for configuration of a button, setting co-ordinates of the buttons, and maybe how many.. in the settings screen.) Click and hold to move the buttons. The big thing is channel loading, but i don't know if i will have it in the next version or not.

So i changed the post above with the right link, but here is another link.

GuiForwarder

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Preloader Dol Forwarder:
Download.
SD:Apps/SYMLoader

Base .Dol thanks to Jarock

I though this would be help full for the project.
(This is meant to load that GUI Forwarder, via Preloader Since it even boots the Disc, I though of Freedom... and made this.)

joshed

Trophies
Website
www.scened.info
XP
Country
United States
I approve!

Great project, glad to see it coming along nicely.

Seems a loader to me, and seems this will have features the HBC is sorely lacking, like arranging the apps.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Slimmmmmm said:
I think the terminology of forwarder is worng a bit maybe you should call it a loader.

QUOTE(Jacobeian @ May 25 2009, 10:03 AM) Why do you call it a "Forwarder" ? This is a dol loader (from SD,USB and DVD I assume)

Just thought I'd point this out again, this is a loader (a very nice one, but not a forwarder)
Again great stuff
biggrin.gif

JQE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Slimmmmmm said:
Slimmmmmm said:
I think the terminology of forwarder is worng a bit maybe you should call it a loader.

QUOTE(Jacobeian @ May 25 2009, 10:03 AM) Why do you call it a "Forwarder" ? This is a dol loader (from SD,USB and DVD I assume)

Just thought I'd point this out again, this is a loader (a very nice one, but not a forwarder)
Again great stuff
biggrin.gif

What may i ask is the difference? Is it that fact that it accepts input? I am just curious... I can change it to GuiLoader GX or something for the name, just curious why it's a loader vs a forwarder.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I would have to agree.

I think the concept of a "forwarder" is about having a channel, whilst minimizing space usage on your nand. without a gui/browser the app is launched quickly (only slightly slower than a normal channel).

The key idea behind "forwarding" is that it "skips" the step of selection, and focuses on what is forwarded instead of itself. Hence it appears little different to a normal channel.

This app has a gui/browser, and instead of "forwarding" to the app, it's more like an app/loader in itself.

That being said, the clarification doesn't really matter much, the important thing is that you did a nice job
smile.gif
Good app, another demonstration of the awesome libwiigui!

The selection menu and saving is great too!
I could imagine a useful forwarder where you hold "B" button or something, which then allows you to select and save a file to forward as default, using your channel.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with OSW that the naming isn't important compared to the quality of the app, and I mean pure quality here.

To define a loader and a forwarder easily, I'd say this.

A forwarder is a channel that you hold a button while launching to choose the app, this is not.

I'm only hoping that you rename this great app to avoid confusion, not to take anything away from it. (imho 10/10 here)

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
So, is argument passing working at last? I saw you changed dol loading code at svn, but no mention on the following revision.

If not I might be able to help.

JQE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
suloku said:
So, is argument passing working at last? I saw you changed dol loading code at svn, but no mention on the following revision.

If not I might be able to help.

I do a lot of changes during the day but i can't test until i get home from work. So i made the changes for argument passing but haven't tested. The likely hood is a lot of the changes i made won't work and i will either have to fix them or remove them. I will post once i have something tested. Probably later tonight or late tomorrow.

If you can help that would be great, feel free to compile and test and let me know if anything works. let me know if you want to help more.

JQE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sadly none of my changes today have worked. I will continue to work on it, but i am not sure how long it will be before i get anywhere. If anyone wants to help with argument passing or Channel loading let me know.

I am going to be busy at work for the next day or two, i will do some work in the evening tomorrow.

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
I've just seen that hermes included in his latest uloader a very simple dol forwarding app which can load a dol file whith arguments in only 237 lines of code. No elf loading, but who cares.

I'll give a try adding arguments to your GUI.

JQE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

JQE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So i am still working on this. Channel loading is a lot harder than i assumed it would be (especially cause i am learning C while i do this). I think i had a breakthrough today, and am working on some cosmetic changes as well. Once i have something stable and working i will release some more info, but if all goes well this will be a lot better soon.

If anyone wants to help, just shoot me a PM.

I have my google code site http://dashreplace.googlecode.com

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.