Gaming Guess who just traded in their DS for Left 4 Dead?!

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well not sure if I should link there, because they also have "pirate" stuff, but here's the thread there on how to configure L4D for that
coreyon said:
You can now play by creating a server by typing commands in console after you open the game.

Edit: Everyone should now use appid 500 instead of 501. With appid 500, VAC 2 can be enabled, along with some other features once again.

First of all you will need to have L4D downloaded already, and a patched/cracked steam. Next you'll need the L4D_Online.11.30.2008.rar from a link below and extract it to steamapps\common\left 4 dead replacing everything it asks.

Edit: Removed files that were not necessary anymore.

L4D_Online.11.30.2008.rar
http://www.sendspace.com/file/34ihtg
Mirror : http://www.badongo.com/file/12292624

To host a local host server, follow these instructions :

1. Open L4D with the provided Left 4 Dead.bat (If you applied the files correctly it will be in steamapps\common\left 4 dead)
2. Make sure you have port 27015 open, as this is the port everyone will connect to you by (To check your port visit http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/)
3. Most of the commands to run a server will be already done with the Left 4 Dead.bat so all you need to do is open console and type "map (map name)" and it will load.
4. Join to a irc chat (Or another means of communication) and post your I.P in this format: connect XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:27015 (Go to http://www.whatismyip.com to find out your I.P)
5. Optional: To change the difficulty open console while the sever has been made and type "z_difficulty (The mode you want)"

To Host a Dedicated Server, follow these Instructions :

1. Download Left 4 dead Dedicated server from steam with a cracked steam.
2. Edit server.cfg to your liking before running the server. Located in steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\cfg.
3. Make sure you have port 27015 open, as this is the port everyone will connect to you by (To check your port visit http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/)
4. Open L4D dedicated server by launching srcds.exe (Located in steamapps\common\left 4 dead)
5. Join to a irc chat (Or another means of communication) and post your I.P in this format: connect XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:27015 (Go to http://www.whatismyip.com to find out your I.P)
6. Optional: To change the difficulty, type "z_difficulty (The mode you want)" in the Console tab. To change the map, type "changelevel (map name)"

To join a game, follow these instructions :

1. Join a IRC channel, or another means of communication
2. Wait for someone to post their connect info.
3. Once you've gotten that info, start L4D with Left 4 Dead.bat and copy and paste the connect info into your console and you'll join.
4. Optional: Add all the cracked servers to your favorites by typing "openserverbrowser" in console and clicking add under favorites. Use this for ease of finding servers to play on.

Basically the biggest problem for this method I've found is that once the campaign is done, the server will disconnect everyone to bypass the lobby. Simply just rejoin to the server to continue playing. There are other problems to be explored, but this is what I noticed so far.

I've created a IRC channel for people to post their connect info. Join #L4D-Free on Gamesurge.
Also check out the dedicated server list by typing
!ip in #L4D-FREE

If you experience any problems, please PM me or reply to this thread with the following:
1. What is the problem?
2. How often does this occur?
3. What engine.dll are you using? (Please state if you're not using a engine.dll that I did not post)

For your safety make sure you use a blank account, as there is a possibility of that account being disabled.

Special thanks to
Removed for the Dedicated Server files. Wickeddd for the !ip script, and all the people hosting dedicated servers.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah VALVe is actually a company worth supporting, I mean we all remembering my harrowing experience with Steam a few months ago, but the knowledge that my apartment could burn to the ground and I'd still have those games to be able to play is some DRM that is actually useful.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jesterscourt said:
Yeah VALVe is actually a company worth supporting, I mean we all remembering my harrowing experience with Steam a few months ago, but the knowledge that my apartment could burn to the ground and I'd still have those games to be able to play is some DRM that is actually useful.
Exactly,
I have 4 Steam accounts
1 with all the Half Life 1 games
One with the Orange Box
One with Half Life 2 and Left 4 dead
And a blank one case my friends ever invite my to play CS:S which I don't have.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Law said:
Trolly said:
Wow, who goes to all that trouble to dodge paying £30? :wtf:

Children who don't have access to mommy's credit/debit card.
Children who just paid $400 for a T-Mobile G1 and are completely broke.
unsure.gif

Diablo: Thanks for the info, but already got it to work.
yaynds.gif

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to buy it for PC originally, but most of my friends got it for the 360 and I didn't wanna play alone. I did end up acquiring it for PC anyway for LAN purposes. Might look into this.

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Guess who has a computer able to run Crysis with no trouble at all, L4D, Orange Box, around a dozen other Steam games, AND his DS. Without selling anything.

Ah, retirement.

DarthYoshi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just got L4D yesterday on the PC and I need a little help. =P Does anyone know how to choose your survivor in a multiplayer LAN game? What I mean is... my friend hosts the game, another friend joins, and now there are 2 survivors left. (e.g. Bill and Francis) If it automatically puts me on Francis, is there a way to switch to Bill?

DarthYoshi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I missed that part. I mean when I'm in the game, say if I die and it makes me spectate, can I take the computer's place (if he's still alive)?

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not really. The entire point of the game is to work together to ensure your survival. Where's the tension if you die and you can just replace another bot. Besides in the basic campaign you can be respawned from a rescue closet so you're not out for good.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
yes but, there is tension on the surviving survivors. One man (or Zoey) out leads to a bigger zombie to people ratio. that means harder... unless they are strategized of course.

Kyusuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if (for PC) there's a real-time counter for friendly fires in the game? I'm getting annoyed at the fact that I keep wasting an hour (on single player) trying to get the Safety First (no friendly fire all through) achievement just to find out I had one instance of friendly fire mentioned in the stats at the end of a campaign.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf