GTA V PC - Digital Download vs Physical Copy

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by CheatingSoi, Mar 11, 2015.

1. CheatingSoi
    OP

CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I want to preorder GTA V for PC but don't really know what direction to go. Is there any advantages to a physical copy vs digital? I have never purchased anything on Steam and have never really seen a need for it. However I do like the aspect of cloud storage and such. What way are any of you going, to those of you who are getting the game.?

2. Kippykip

Kippykip D E L E T T H I S

Mar 30, 2013
    I know if you preorder it on steam you get GTA: SA free and heaps of money for the game when it comes out
    Don't know about a physical copy

3. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    If you are legitimately going to get it- get it on Steam when it goes on sale.
    Physicals are worthless -once you register it its there forever.

4. CheatingSoi
    OP

CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I'm very unfamiliar with anything Steam, so you'll have to forgive me. Will there be a pre-download on Steam?

5. Rizzorules

Rizzorules "What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    If you like steam, pay with virtual cash and buying games without going to a videogame store you should really buy a digital game but if you like Videogame cases and discs then you should buy a physical copy. I only buy a physical copy when they are cool or they are an special edition

6. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Depends on the game's publisher.

As for that pre-order deal, I do not think it is on-going anymore?

7. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    Digital saves you space.

8. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Regarding anything that requires steam regardless of whether you buy it on steam or physical, the physical copy is almost completely redundant unless you have a low broadband cap.

9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Low? If the PS4/xbone is an indication, it'll be a 50 gigabyte download. I'd say that if you have a monthly cap at all, it should at least be taken into account.

This file size is also something that makes me unsure. Thus far, I've just bought everything on steam, but this is half my own monthly limit. It's that the alternative isn't much better (I don't feel like playing DJ changing about ten DVD's or something :P ).

10. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    For modern PC games that use DRM the retail copy is usually just an install disc for the digital copy with a code to activate on Steam/Battle.net/etc. The few exceptions are games with no online features or don't use steam for online features which may skip Steam integration altogether for the retail version and use the disc and windows registry as DRM like the good ol days. You should double check but I highly doubt you will need the disc for GTA beyond installing it.

IMO, if I were to play GTA I would just pirate it It is a crimespree simulator afterall ;)

minexew and Margen67 like this.
  11. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Buying the physical copy gives you a pretty case (and install disc) to have in your bookcase/shelf.
    For everything else, digital is better.

12. Loke

Loke GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Netherlands
    Digital is much cheaper if you buy it at a third party shop. Steam is quite expensive in that regard. gta V is atm 40 euros, but it will drop fast when it is released. Watchdogs went from 40 to 15 in one week.. Especially the rusian keys are cheap, but they require vpn to register.

13. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    very long explanation about physical vs digital
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

BTW CHECK IF THERE IS A STEAM LOGO ON THE BOX. IF THERE IS A STEAM LOGO\ MESSAGE SAYING YOU NEED TO INSTALL STEAM CLIENT, NO MATTER IF YOU BUY IT DIGITALLY OR PHYSYCALLY, THAT'S A STEAM VERSION, AND THE DISC IS TOTALLY USELESS; you CAN use it for install, but you don't actually have to use it.. i bought several steam phisical copies which i never used the disc. the disc is there, just to "give you something, instead a box with paper" and if your internet is slow you can use it for install, but you can just use steam to download it..

you can actually create a copy of that disc with a tool inside steam client, usually theese dvds only have a steam installation exe file, and a "backup" of the game, if you create a disc using the tool on steam you get the same data (except if the game was updated, the update will be included on the copy you made)

personally i love steam. and i love the client and is functions. i just don't like to be "under a company's ass"

like i said, if steam for whatever reason closes is services, my +500 steam games will be gone...

Gyndemia likes this.
  14. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I'd say it's up to you.
    I've stopped buying physical PC games since Steam is such a solid service in my opinion. (I still prefer physical copies of my video games though).
    There are only a few games I buy physical copies of, just because it feels good, like The Elder Scrolls series.
    Right now I have 442 games on steam, and I can install, uninstall, reinstall anything whenever I like without having to look for any CDs or keep track of any codes. DRM isn't an issue for me with steam, since it always works and whenever my internet is down, I can play offline anyway (most of the time at least).

And if my computer explodes? Well then I just have to download steam and poof, there are all my games... and for those games with cloud saves... I have all my saves as well!

15. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    How is this even a question? Physical PC games have been irrelevant since like 2004.

16. DCG

DCG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 1, 2010
    Netherlands
    Schiedam
    migles
    I'm not sure that's entirely true.
    I've read on some places Valve has build a sort of fail-safe into steam to keep the games working if they were to go down and are unable to resume business.
    I'm assuming this only works for games that have already been downloaded though.

17. Spectro87

Spectro87 GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2012
    United States
    I've heard this as well, but I don't have a source. I don't think we actually need to worry about Steam shutting down for many, many years, though. It's too profitable.

18. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    I'd prefer to have the physical copy. That and I'd spend the next few years just trying to download the damn thing on my ***ty DSL internet. I do have a Blu-Ray drive (it doesn't burn blu-rays though. Couldn't afford a drive that does that. :P ) so if it comes as a Blu-Ray disc, I'm ready for that.

Probably gonna wait till the price drops on it. I can't afford to drop $60 on a game. I don't care how popular it is or how much I would like the game. I simply can't afford prices like that right now. :P

19. Spectro87

Spectro87 GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2012
    United States
    I don't think PC games have ever come on Blu-ray, have they?

20. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Digital. There are sites you can get them much cheaper than retail. Very shifty sites.. But I have yet to run into any issues.