Great games too childish

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by dewp, Jan 28, 2009.

Jan 28, 2009

Great games too childish by dewp at 3:39 PM (3,708 Views / 0 Likes) 45 replies

1. dewp
    OP

Newcomer dewp Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Have recently got into Custom Robo Arena, it's a great concept for a game and the fighting mechanics are great, but it's so obviously aimed towards children [​IMG] i feel like i shouldn't be playing it with half the shit the characters come out with.

Why can't we have more adult adventure games, that aren't patronising, hotel dusk is a good example, or unsolved crimes, these are great adventure games aimed more towards adults.

if only they would make an intelligent game like Custom Robo Arena with a more adult theme, i know DS's are mostly owned by children but surley they should try and aim some games towards the adults aswell

2. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    because most ds owners are children? just wait for gta

3. dewp
    OP

United Kingdom

4. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    But that's the point.. Nintendo knows a lot of kids own a DS, thus most of the games either created by Nintendo or some other party are directed to majority of the age group.. Just secretly play at home. There's nothing wrong with that. [​IMG]

Although, I do get what you mean. There are some childish games I wouldn't play outside, but I'd play at home.

5. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    fail.
    All RPG's see you as a kid. try playing only on WiFi. Its how I play it. (wtf? the rpg characters are so random)

6. dewp
    OP

United Kingdom
    what do you mean 'fail'? how have i 'failed'?.. I know most rpgs have you as a kid, it's the reason i've made this thread...... fail = you

Going around speaking to school children and going to school in the fucking game ruins it for me, that's all i'm saying.

It wouldn't hurt for there to be an adult as the leading character in an RPG, with adult themes

7. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Do you mind me asking how old you are? I'm 27 and I have no problem with twee games that cast you as a kid. In my experience the people who do have problems with such games tend to be of, well, let's just say a certain age where they're very self concious about appearing "mature" and not childish. EDIT: I tend to more get the feeling "Maybe I'm too old for this" when playing games like Gears of War II and other homo-erotic Space Marine fantasies, which are quite obviously aimed at young western males going through puberty than j-rpgs with young leads that tend to be made for a rather wider and less judgemental audience.

8. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    I agree, but as da_head says, it's because the DS is mostly geared towards children. If you look on other systems geared towards older audiences, you can find more good adult-themed games. But then of course you find more shit adult-themed games as well.

9. dewp
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm 22 years old, and i'm not self concious about 'seeming mature' that's good for you if you don't have a problem, everyones different at the end of the day... it's just my personal view.. what do i have to prove when i play my ds on my own?.. Nothing.

nice assumption though

10. BlueStar

United Kingdom
    I've made a bit of an edit to my post. It seems you feel you have to prove something to yourself by the sound of it. If it's a great game who cares?

Anyway what makes a game mature? I'd say the DS has quite a lot of mature titles. Stuff like Phoenix Wright and Picross is a lot more mature than the likes of GTA and other games aimed at teens.

11. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    The word you meant to say is "childlike", its just a pet hate of mine.

Look most of the people who own DS's are aged between 8-16 and so people make games that would appeal to them and I can't say that they bother me that much being a 27 year old.

12. dewp
    OP

United Kingdom
    .... I really don't, you're assuming things...

as i've said i just don't like the childish themes to the games - IT'S MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE, fair enough if you enjoy going to school's in the games, and the childish conversations etc that's you.. and fair enough that's your taste in games..

.. I just would personally enjoy the game more if it was more geared towards adults, that's all. I'm not trying to prove anything to myself. your logic is flawed

13. BlueStar

United Kingdom
    Just because there's a child lead in the game and there are children speaking and acting in the way children do within the game it doesn't mean it's aimed at children or is childish. Look at films, are all films about childhood childish?

14. dewp
    OP

United Kingdom
    that's a very rediculous anolagy, of course with films everything changes. you can have a film based on a childhood that's violent and aimed towards adults of course.. :/ they are 2 completley different things

15. BlueStar

United Kingdom
    Violence and "M rating" is not the be all and end all of adult/child media. Are films like Stand By Me and Amélie childish?

16. hdofu

Member hdofu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    have you tried the ace attorney series? IT may have some humor you may find juvenile in it, but the protagonist is 24 and it definetly has some content for an older gamer, there was also an akito super lite title I can't remember the name off hand but it was a horror puzzle game (puzzles with a horror theme)

17. dewp
    OP

United Kingdom
    Dear me, you're missing the point completley. I don't really want to argue with you on the matter anymore, I've made myself clear several times in this thread my reasons for saying this. it's obvious what I'm saying, I'm entitled to my opinion, that is all really. go and argue with a brick wall or something.

@hdofu, yeah man i've finished all of the ace attorney games to date, and not a massive fan of puzzle games really, thank you though [​IMG]

18. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    When I was younger I got a GBA one christmas with Harry potter rpg, it was really fun to play and to date is the rpg I played the hell outta but even though it's aimed at children some of the words in there were definately, well let's just say half my english class would be stumped by one.

What I'm tryin to say is that even though a game is aimed at a younger audience, an older audience could have more fun with it if you set aside the target age and concentrate on the game itself [​IMG] [​IMG] (Even pokemon sounded like a load of BS half the time at that age) lol

19. Anj

Newcomer Anj Advanced Member

Canada
    Er... Tinkerbell!!! LOL! if only tinkerbell was a boy..... hahaa... [​IMG]

20. JDandy

Member JDandy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    And the non sequitur award of the year goes to...

ONTOPIC:
    OP, I understand how you feel about Custom Robo Arena.
    It's the same for Magical Starsign; it's one of the greatest RPGs of the DS, but the styling (though stylish) and the characters make the game look as if it's being marketed to toddlers.
    A bit annoying, but at the end of the day it doesn't stop me from playing.
    In a way I prefer childish/childlike seeming games to MATURE GAMES FOR MATURE GAMERS SUCH AS MYSELF.
    Rainbows > Brown'n'Brown.