Gaming Great games too childish

dewp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have recently got into Custom Robo Arena, it's a great concept for a game and the fighting mechanics are great, but it's so obviously aimed towards children
frown.gif
i feel like i shouldn't be playing it with half the shit the characters come out with.

Why can't we have more adult adventure games, that aren't patronising, hotel dusk is a good example, or unsolved crimes, these are great adventure games aimed more towards adults.

if only they would make an intelligent game like Custom Robo Arena with a more adult theme, i know DS's are mostly owned by children but surley they should try and aim some games towards the adults aswell

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But that's the point.. Nintendo knows a lot of kids own a DS, thus most of the games either created by Nintendo or some other party are directed to majority of the age group.. Just secretly play at home. There's nothing wrong with that.
tongue.gif

Although, I do get what you mean. There are some childish games I wouldn't play outside, but I'd play at home.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
dewp said:
Have recently got into Custom Robo Arena, it's a great concept for a game and the fighting mechanics are great, but it's so obviously aimed towards children
frown.gif
i feel like i shouldn't be playing it with half the shit the characters come out with.

Why can't we have more adult adventure games, that aren't patronising, hotel dusk is a good example, or unsolved crimes, these are great adventure games aimed more towards adults.

if only they would make an intelligent game like Custom Robo Arena with a more adult theme, i know DS's are mostly owned by children but surley they should try and aim some games towards the adults aswell
fail.
All RPG's see you as a kid. try playing only on WiFi. Its how I play it. (wtf? the rpg characters are so random)

dewp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
what do you mean 'fail'? how have i 'failed'?.. I know most rpgs have you as a kid, it's the reason i've made this thread...... fail = you

Going around speaking to school children and going to school in the fucking game ruins it for me, that's all i'm saying.

It wouldn't hurt for there to be an adult as the leading character in an RPG, with adult themes

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you mind me asking how old you are? I'm 27 and I have no problem with twee games that cast you as a kid. In my experience the people who do have problems with such games tend to be of, well, let's just say a certain age where they're very self concious about appearing "mature" and not childish. EDIT: I tend to more get the feeling "Maybe I'm too old for this" when playing games like Gears of War II and other homo-erotic Space Marine fantasies, which are quite obviously aimed at young western males going through puberty than j-rpgs with young leads that tend to be made for a rather wider and less judgemental audience.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I agree, but as da_head says, it's because the DS is mostly geared towards children. If you look on other systems geared towards older audiences, you can find more good adult-themed games. But then of course you find more shit adult-themed games as well.

dewp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
Do you mind me asking how old you are? I'm 27 and I have no problem with twee games that cast you as a kid and in my experience the people who do tend to be of, well, let's just say a certain age where they're very self concious about appearing "mature" and not childish.

I'm 22 years old, and i'm not self concious about 'seeming mature' that's good for you if you don't have a problem, everyones different at the end of the day... it's just my personal view.. what do i have to prove when i play my ds on my own?.. Nothing.

nice assumption though

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
dewp said:
BlueStar said:
Do you mind me asking how old you are? I'm 27 and I have no problem with twee games that cast you as a kid and in my experience the people who do tend to be of, well, let's just say a certain age where they're very self concious about appearing "mature" and not childish.

I'm 22 years old, and i'm not self concious about 'seeming mature' that's good for you if you don't have a problem, everyones different at the end of the day... it's just my personal view.. what do i have to prove when i play my ds on my own?.. Nothing.

nice assumption though

I've made a bit of an edit to my post. It seems you feel you have to prove something to yourself by the sound of it. If it's a great game who cares?

Anyway what makes a game mature? I'd say the DS has quite a lot of mature titles. Stuff like Phoenix Wright and Picross is a lot more mature than the likes of GTA and other games aimed at teens.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The word you meant to say is "childlike", its just a pet hate of mine.

Look most of the people who own DS's are aged between 8-16 and so people make games that would appeal to them and I can't say that they bother me that much being a 27 year old.

dewp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
dewp said:
BlueStar said:

nice assumption though

I've made a bit of an edit to my post. It seems you feel you have to prove something to yourself by the sound of it.

.... I really don't, you're assuming things...

as i've said i just don't like the childish themes to the games - IT'S MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE, fair enough if you enjoy going to school's in the games, and the childish conversations etc that's you.. and fair enough that's your taste in games..

.. I just would personally enjoy the game more if it was more geared towards adults, that's all. I'm not trying to prove anything to myself. your logic is flawed

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Just because there's a child lead in the game and there are children speaking and acting in the way children do within the game it doesn't mean it's aimed at children or is childish. Look at films, are all films about childhood childish?

dewp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
Just because there's a child lead in the game it doesn't mean it's aimed at children or is childish. Look at films, are all films about childhood childish?

that's a very rediculous anolagy, of course with films everything changes. you can have a film based on a childhood that's violent and aimed towards adults of course.. :/ they are 2 completley different things

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
dewp said:
BlueStar said:
Just because there's a child lead in the game it doesn't mean it's aimed at children or is childish. Look at films, are all films about childhood childish?

that's a very rediculous anolagy, of course with films everything changes. you can have a film based on a childhood that's violent and aimed towards adults of course.. :/ they are 2 completley different things

Violence and "M rating" is not the be all and end all of adult/child media. Are films like Stand By Me and Amélie childish?

hdofu

Trophies
Website
www.wikitsune.com
XP
Country
United States
have you tried the ace attorney series? IT may have some humor you may find juvenile in it, but the protagonist is 24 and it definetly has some content for an older gamer, there was also an akito super lite title I can't remember the name off hand but it was a horror puzzle game (puzzles with a horror theme)

dewp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
dewp said:
BlueStar said:

Violence and "M rating" is not the be all and end all of adult/child media. Are films like Stand By Me and Amélie childish?

Dear me, you're missing the point completley. I don't really want to argue with you on the matter anymore, I've made myself clear several times in this thread my reasons for saying this. it's obvious what I'm saying, I'm entitled to my opinion, that is all really. go and argue with a brick wall or something.

@hdofu, yeah man i've finished all of the ace attorney games to date, and not a massive fan of puzzle games really, thank you though
smile.gif

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When I was younger I got a GBA one christmas with Harry potter rpg, it was really fun to play and to date is the rpg I played the hell outta but even though it's aimed at children some of the words in there were definately, well let's just say half my english class would be stumped by one.

What I'm tryin to say is that even though a game is aimed at a younger audience, an older audience could have more fun with it if you set aside the target age and concentrate on the game itself
wink.gif
lecture.gif
(Even pokemon sounded like a load of BS half the time at that age) lol

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Anj said:
Er... Tinkerbell!!! LOL! if only tinkerbell was a boy..... hahaa...
wacko.gif

And the non sequitur award of the year goes to...

ONTOPIC:
OP, I understand how you feel about Custom Robo Arena.
It's the same for Magical Starsign; it's one of the greatest RPGs of the DS, but the styling (though stylish) and the characters make the game look as if it's being marketed to toddlers.
A bit annoying, but at the end of the day it doesn't stop me from playing.
In a way I prefer childish/childlike seeming games to MATURE GAMES FOR MATURE GAMERS SUCH AS MYSELF.
Rainbows > Brown'n'Brown.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr