Country
Italy
*sigh*

I think I've just been trollbaited into looking up that thing. :(

-android instead of windows
-no microSD or (regular) usb
-(obviously) no gamepad or keyboard)
-price point comparable to gpd win / switch
-unlike what's suggested, the gpd win 1 can already play gamecube games at least reasonable
1) You know about ipega controller? It cost about 20-30 dollar/eurs
2) Mi6 can run Xenoblade Chronicles that GPD Win cant.
3) Mi6 can run now some ps2 games that on GPD Win you can only dream about them.

Anyway Razer Edge Pro Tablet rules the worl of portable emulation. (but Mi6 is a good variant)

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3) Mi6 can run now some ps2 games that on GPD Win you can only dream about them.

Anyway Razer Edge Pro Tablet rules the worl of portable emulation. (but Mi6 is a good variant)
GPD1 runs Windows 10 meaning you can run a dolphin emulator and ps2 emulator. How well it runs xenoblade is beyond me but it can run it. look at how well it runs pcsx2 mind you this is the first version not the new one which looks massively improved in power.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I only see it being good for emulation and maybe playing Skyrim and other older AAA titles, and lighter weight games. You might as well just get whatever the best laptop you can find is for that price because it's $700 USD.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
GPD1 runs Windows 10 meaning you can run a dolphin emulator and ps2 emulator. How well it runs xenoblade is beyond me but it can run it. look at how well it runs pcsx2 mind you this is the first version not the new one which looks massively improved in power.

KH is a very light game.
Mi6 can run Devil May Cry

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I have heard there will be different configurations and the price will be like 499 dollars for a base model up to like 699 for a fully loaded one.

User replaceable m.2 storage is nice and I expect that to be part of the difference in price although I believe I remember something about there being maybe 2 different CPU configurations as well..

MasterControl90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy
From what I have heard there will be different configurations and the price will be like 499 dollars for a base model up to like 699 for a fully loaded one.

User replaceable m.2 storage is nice and I expect that to be part of the difference in price although I believe I remember something about there being maybe 2 different CPU configurations as well..

You are probably confused with the first gpd win that was supposed to have less ram and slower cpu but got updated thanks to the high campaign goal reached

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
I don't know who would buy a PC this small with those specs. I don't care how better is this version compared to the first GPD or any other of these, but it's still terrible IMHO. Anything below 30fps shouldn't be considered playable.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I don't know who would buy a PC this small with those specs. I don't care how better is this version compared to the first GPD or any other of these, but it's still terrible IMHO. Anything below 30fps shouldn't be considered playable.

So this machine is unable to play *any* games at a minimum of 30fps? That does indeed sound pretty sucky...

MasterControl90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy
Ehm it depends on the game... Of course there are games, both new and old, that can run 60 or more FPS but surely enough it can not run advanced 3d games at current console generation levels (a part of the switch ofc). Expect x360/PS3 level stuff, which the old win 1 that is is way slower already achieve in some games with tweaking.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Ehm it depends on the game... Of course there are games, both new and old, that can run 60 or more FPS but surely enough it can not run advanced 3d games at current console generation levels (a part of the switch ofc). Expect x360/PS3 level stuff, which the old win 1 that is is way slower already achieve in some games with tweaking.

So you believe there is nothing that this can run at a reasonable rate, that it's predecessor couldn't?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Look... If you want to make a point, please don't beat around the bush and make it. The the points you throw up in no way invalidates anything i said. Perhaps i should make it extra clear i don't dish the device you mention, as i don't know it aside a quick Google search. I'm putting out reasons why you can't compare the two.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
So this guy has a prototype of the Win 2 and has been running tests and trying out various games and emulators, and has a bunch of comprehensive videos. You can see how stuff runs on the Win 2, and hear a comparison with the original Win. The original was already a capable little machine, and the Win 2 is a visible improvement. I'm still hoping the final retail price will be lower than what they're threatening with now, though :P

MasterControl90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.capslocktech.com
XP
Country
Italy
So this guy has a prototype of the Win 2 and has been running tests and trying out various games and emulators, and has a bunch of comprehensive videos. You can see how stuff runs on the Win 2, and hear a comparison with the original Win. The original was already a capable little machine, and the Win 2 is a visible improvement. I'm still hoping the final retail price will be lower than what they're threatening with now, though :P

Good find! And wow Doom runs way better than the switch! We already know that the switch version runs at 600p-ish capped at 30 but that most of the time it is around 25ish fps, with settings inferior to lowest on PC version. I wasn't expecting doom to run so well at 35ish 720p (adding a 30fps cap would be perfect).
Edit: it is 500p-ish, it is still good to see that it is at least comparable to a switch.

Last edited by MasterControl90,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Finally a detailed review, including a comparison with the first GPD Win:

Running the Street Fighter IV Benchmark on both with out-the-box settings, Win2 managed a consistent 180 frames per second throughout, the old one managed 65.
No benchmark is definitive and I'm not sure if how these results will translate to other things such as emulators etc. but this still shows a significant increase in performance.

Indiegogo campaign starts tomorrow.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The campaign is live:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-2-handheld-game-console-for-aaa-games-laptop#/

$649 for preorders, and they threaten it will retail for $899, but they threatened the first one would cost $500 retail yet it ended up retailing at the preorder price.

But this is still very expensive. Not sure if worth it any more.

I just hope the first one gets cheaper now.

EDIT: At the time of writing, it has reached 802% of its $100,000 goal.

Last edited by Veho,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1