GPD Win 2 officially detailed

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At those prices, that's a big NOPE for me. Here's hoping that the GPD XD2 is still a thing or that the Win 1 gets a decent price cut.

EDIT: This is appropriate

Last edited by LightyKD,
Reactions: Veho

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
And now we have the price...

599 during Indiegogo
699 after Indiegogo

A big nope for me
Damn, that's steep.

I know all the (important) specs have been upgraded from the original and that costs money, but the price of components drops with time, and I was hoping this wouldn't be this much more expensive than the first. $700 would make sense if it came out the same time as the first.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Damn, that's steep.

I know all the (important) specs have been upgraded from the original and that costs money, but the price of components drops with time, and I was hoping this wouldn't be this much more expensive than the first. $700 would make sense if it came out the same time as the first.
They were aiming at $499 for the first gen. So, I can't see them sticking to these prices.

Chopped liver here, don't mind me.

Last edited by Kioku,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
They were aiming at $499 for the first gen. So, I can't see them sticking to these prices.

Chopped liver here, don't mind me.
Huh, did someone say something? :unsure: Must have been the wind.

:P

Yeah, the preorder price was $330 and they threatened a retail price of $500 but then the retail price was $330-350 but then they released a second version which was $350-$400 and that's the one being sold now...

So if the retail price of this new one turns out to be the same as the preorder/indiegogo price ($600), that's still a bit much.

Reactions: Kioku

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the Switch but Switch is not high end. Try comparing Doom on Switch vs playing the same game on the chipset for the GPD Win 2. At a reasonable price, this device will be good competition for the Switch.

I expect the win2 to be priced somewhat around current switch price, will it have the same horsepower? On the gpu side it is not but, unless you are really into Nintendo games, the win2 can be a good alternative for various reasons:
1. If you are already into pc gaming you probably have tons of indie games on steam from super cheap humble bundles;
2. Cheaper indie games and a lot of classics already available;
3. Huge storage and upgradeable too
4. It is also a Windows machine and so it is way more flexible;
5. If you are into emulation you can do a lot with it.

It's not for anyone but there are enough reasons to consider it.
alright i guess there might be room for it in the world.
i don't want it or see it selling well but if they can make money and people will use it it's good that options exist.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright i guess there might be room for it in the world.
i don't want it or see it selling well but if they can make money and people will use it it's good that options exist.

Why wouldn't you want to see it sell well? More options is better for everyone, even for Nintendo. It's like saying that you wouldn't want to see the PSP or Vita sell well. Quite frankly, Nintendo could use a portable game rival. I might settle for the first GPD Win and have it boot directly to Steam so that it feels more like a game console.

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
8 GB of RAM is a very good improvement from the old 4 GB, and having a new processor definitely helps.
Intel HD Graphics 5000 would be suitable. I hope that someday we will be able to fit a dedicated graphics card
in a handheld without melting it. Not that I'll be buying this though. I would if I had the money.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You really need to play in a carpettunnel inducing keyboard?
so, em... You're saying that using a gpd win keyboard causes your carpet to roll up into itself, creating a tunnel in the center? :creep:

(Btw... I've got one. My regular 3ds is much harder to properly use, and even that doesn't exactly induce carpal tunnel syndrome)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Ultraportable PCs are usually more expensive than "regular" sized laptops of the same specs, because it's difficult to cram the same hardware into a smaller case. If you look at ultraportable computers of yore like the Toshiba Libretto or Sony Vaio, they were much more expensive than their larger kin, because it's a niche market, and because components are more expensive at that size.
Look at the GPD Pocket, it's $500 with roughly the same specs as the GPD Win. It's doing rather well. You can get a much better laptop for that price but there's obviously a market for ultraportable Windows machines.
The GPD Win 2 will have significantly upgraded specs, so if it ends up costing $500 that's not that bad. Yes, you could get better hardware for that money but there's a lot to be said about the size.

Reactions: Jarmenti

Jarmenti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
exactly!, in regards to laptops It's why ultrabooks (super slim/light) cost way more than standard laptops! as form factor goes down, cost goes up. Hell I can buy a pretty friggen capable gaming laptop for the price of some of these ultrabooks that have zero gaming potential. It isn't the point. I have no plans to purchase a GPD, but I can definitely see there's a market for it! (clearly as they're making a model 2). People claiming "not worth $500", or "wouldn't pay that much" clearly this isn't for you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1