www.topgames.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ive got an EZ4 (Normal-Version)... with Sandisk 1 Gig Ultra2

Metroid Prime Hunters: Intro and Game works greatly
Megaman Double Team DS: Intro is Choppy ! Game works Fine
Castlevania: Intro with the slideshow letters works perfectly
Tony Hawk Skateland: Intro is Fine,Music is fine but in game omg this is too Choppy.

kutis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
rofl2.gif
chill guys... it appears that g6l is out... but surely if u own ds lite.. u should get either one of these... the size of these carts really help the joy of playing the ds lite...

one is cheaper megabytes for very minor slowdowns.. and the other one is better performance for a price... u decide...

castlevania: where is the intro fmv? how come i only see some scrolling text? then suddenly the game starts... is it the one with the witch appearing from the lightening? dun think i notice any slowdowns... then again i have no reference with the original cart... as i said before.. prolly nothing major... fyi, i use standard 1 gig sandisk microsd/tf (the cheapest 1 i found on ebay)

back to topic... my impression of the ez4l,
performance 7/10...
size 10/10... couldnt be happier, coz i also use white dust covers for the earphone hole, charger hole, and ds slot... perfect match...
compatibility 8.5/10... for games that are not in the list, when u transfer it, it appears that it has no name in the tf card

teH XeRO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
castlevania anime intro is at the main menu...i did the same thing lol and went through the text in the beginning of the game...if u press B or let the game sit idle at the main menu it goes to the fmv...even with fast cards the fmv skips...but in other games the fmv's run just fine...definitely software end and the ez4L is still young by all means...and software updates seem to be being released quite frequently...id assume (and hope -- cuz who knows with the ez team lol) that its only a matter of time b4 the minor bugs/glitches will be fixed.

darkandlong

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
back to topic... my impression of the ez4l,
performance 7/10...

I think speed of the micro SD has a lot to do with this, so I'm not sure 7 is really a fair grade.

QUOTE said:
compatibility 8.5/10... for games that are not in the list, when u transfer it, it appears that it has no name in the tf card

You do know that they keep an updated romlist over at the forums, right? It takes literally two seconds to edit your romslist.txt file.

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well in another topic, it's not necessarily the speed of the flash media but the patching process from the software itself..

As seen in M3 and Supercard's patchers where Castlevania's intro ended up working fine after a few updates

XeNoGeaR

Trophies
Website
www.topgames.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
they need to fix more then that..

Loading time also..!! DMA Support adding! 4x.
IRON FEATHER (JAP) : Played it yesterday and when i was goin dead in the game it freezes with 2 white screens onmy ez4.
Tetris: has wifi bug double white screens
tony hawk: laggs in game
Megaman double ds: Choppy intro and sounds sometimes
Castlefania fmv intro with B in menu:FUckin disaster.

they need to fix game compatability too damn ffs
smile.gif
... they need to improve that fast!

kutis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
I think speed of the micro SD has a lot to do with this, so I'm not sure 7 is really a fair grade.

You do know that they keep an updated romlist over at the forums, right? It takes literally two seconds to edit your romslist.txt file.

i think 7 is fair, if the speed of the micro sd affect the performance that much, howcome the mini sd ez4 also got sluggish fmv? howcome the 2x faster micro sd card perform very similar to the cheap tf card?,.. given that full mark is all games working smoothly.. ez4l is definately a 7... all those sluggish fmv excluded (i personally dun give a crap about those)...

i got my rom before the list is updated.. and up until now, i delete all those new roms anyways (none are good)...

@xeno: yes, they need some improvement... but i think the mods @sosuke are requesting the source code for the tf DMA,.. it's interesting to see if those ppl can work together with the ezteam to reduce the sluggishness

Kagaden

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm doing some research on the ez4 lite for my girlfriend. After reading this thread I wanted to add that I'm using a M3 slim on the latest firmware 22b w/ 1 gig san disk SD card and DO get slowdown on the Castlevania intro.

I don't have another (faster) SD card to test so that may be the problem. I don't think it's purely a firmware problem.
lecture.gif

-Kag

sneef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm doing some research on the ez4 lite for my girlfriend. After reading this thread I wanted to add that I'm using a M3 slim on the latest firmware 22b w/ 1 gig san disk SD card and DO get slowdown on the Castlevania intro.

I don't have another (faster) SD card to test so that may be the problem. I don't think it's purely a firmware problem.Â
lecture.gif

-Kag

ok.. for one thing, fmv is not a good way to gauge the performance of a flash cart. secondly, I have m3 slim SD, m3 miniSD, supercard SD, Supercard miniSD, EZIV, and EZIV Lite (microSD), and I can tell you that the "vanilla" (not ultra, or any special rating) Sandisk cards are not really that good on these devices.

Secondly, I believe the patcher may be part of the problem with the EZ4. With supercard, some games had choppy performance when streamed from a fairly fast SD card, and with an update to the patcher, they worked smoothly. I believe (and hope) this to be the case with eZ4.

I would love to try an Ultra II MicroSD, but in my country (singapore), they haven't been released, and sandisk has no immediate plans to do so. In any case, the speed rating of the Ultra II microSD isn't that high. Looks something like a 66x SD card from what I've seen online.

I am using a kingston 512MB microSD and a sandisk 512MB microSD on mine, and the one thing that did help was formatting the card with 64k sectors. This did not really improve access time or loading time, but seems to help with the actual streaming of the game data. I really want animal crossing to perform like the original, but so far it's pretty sluggish. Formatting with 64k sectors helped. Tony Hawk is still pretty choppy. To be fair, they are all playable, but I guess after playing them on the m3, it is hard for me not to notice the slowdowns. I am a perfectionist about the performance, because I'm not just using the EZ4 as a "pirating" device, I want it to take the place of all my original games, so I never have to bring them with me.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
i think checking the "choppy" castlevania intro is a rather good way to know if a card is better or worse than other cards...
smile.gif

atleast at that compatibility part
wink.gif

sneef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think checking the "choppy" castlevania intro is a rather good way to know if a card is better or worse than other cards...
smile.gif

atleast at that compatibility part
wink.gif
actually its not. it's only a good way of testing compatibility with FMV. fmv may show transfer speed, but it doesn't really reflect access speed necessarily. in-game data is not a serial stream like fmv.

zragnarok

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have the EZ4-Lite and a 512mb Kingston TF card... the only place I observe slowdown is in Animal Crossing... whenever I enter or exit a building, the screen turns black for about a second or two longer than using my retail cart... changing my cluster sizes to 64k helped a little though/// not too bad but still noticeable

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.