Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
A search engine is trying to stop piracy links from showing up in it's search results, and you all are claiming it's china now?

Seriously guys? It's their own fucking site and engine, and they want to not have illegal content showing up on it.

You know, like how gbatemp removes links to ROMs. Does that mean gbatemp is becoming china?

Google is not america, google is a company and a website. They have the right to modify THEIR OWN SHIT.

You're underestimating (or purposely understating) the gray area of the matter. Yes, the Google services belong to them, but...

Google is, unarguably, a major and necessary infrastructure used by the general public. There are other search engines out there, just like there are other operating systems, office suites, etc. out there, but Google is plugged in like no other service in the world. Plainly speaking, we rely on Google for a lot of what we do. Imagine if a highway was owned by a private company, and you were stopped each time before entering or exiting the highway by that private company and asked for your I.D.

Hegemony is still very much alive and well, I see.
glare.gif

MeritsAlone

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont actually know if this is good or bad. Bad because they might take away tutorials which they might believe have with "Piracy" to do from youtube, and that more music might be blocked from youtube. Good is that Piracy might go down a grade, however they cant take down "The site"

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
google in the attack of piracy ?
thats it.....were screwed.....
or not
tongue.gif

i have several sources and i know my links and if google doesn't work i always have my contacts, links, sources and companions

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
I'm on the rocks about how I feel about this.

On one hand, Google seems to simply be patching up some glaring holes in their search engine that inadvertently gives a glaring helping hand to piracy. Torrent sites and other piracy-geared sites are found with laughable ease, and even its autocomplete feature seems to expedite the piracy process. Typing in "Super scribblenauts" in Google's search bar will introduce the suggestion "Super Scribblenauts Rom". In this light, Google seems to be applying these measures in an effort to amend their own shortcomings. Being the internet superpower they are, this is all but necessary.

However, it remains to be seen if Google is planning to do more, and actually take an initiative in the extermination of piracy. This may not bode well for many sites such as GBAtemp, if this is the case. Take jumpman17's example of Youtube's inconsistent moderation:

jumpman17 said:
I think they need to first learn what the law allows though. I was in a team that made a 30 second ad for a video production class. We used about 20 seconds of the Sanford and Son theme song. This was for educational use, not for any form of profit, should qualify for fair use, and only posted to our teacher's YouTube site for the class (being the way we would always submit our final videos for grading). They denied the video claiming copyright infringement. We filed a review request for fair use, explained everything, even submitted a signed letter from out teacher. They still denied it.

It's a well-known fact that Youtube's governance of copyrighted content is sort of puzzling. Imagine if this brand of hit-or-miss moderation was incorporated into Google's search engine. This would result in many sites like GBAtemp potentially getting blocked from their search results, because Google jumped the gun and mistook it for a piracy site. I shudder at the thought of this.
However, it's my belief that doing this would be far too time-consuming, expensive, and futile for Google. There are simply too many sites to monitor, for far too many transgressions. Piracy in particular is quite an opus, and in my opinion, it's damn near impossible to completely eradicate. From this perspective, the thought of Google doing anything particularly radical seems unlikely, at least at this point in time.

So, I don't know. I'm not anticipating any radical change, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lost Wisdom said:
Thank god google is doing this, It'll stop all the noobs from downloading games.
WTF are you talking about! This will make noobs demand games on this site since they can't google it, and we can't tell them to just google it. Are you insane?

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
gamefreak94 said:
Lost Wisdom said:
Thank god google is doing this, It'll stop all the noobs from downloading games.
WTF are you talking about! This will make noobs demand games on this site since they can't google it, and we can't tell them to just google it. Are you insane?

Oh, 'cos it's like they don't already do that already...

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
gamefreak94 said:
Lost Wisdom said:
We'll just have to tell them to Bing it then.

Omninox

GBATemp's™ Retired Cheats Compiler
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ThePowerOutage said:
gamefreak94 said:
Lost Wisdom said:
WTF are you talking about! This will make noobs demand games on this site hell alot more since they can't google it, and we can't tell them to just google it. Are you insane?
We'll just have to keep on telling them to Bing it like never before.
fixed ¬_¬

its kind of a pain if google starts filtering their engine, causing us to use other options. Still, rather spend more time searching for a game, then having no free games what so ever~

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Still, there is something called private trackers and newsgroups that are a "hella lot" better than Google. And faster.

SubliminalSegue

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I can just see some kind of 2001: A Space Oddity scenario.

Me: (Typing in newest Wii game ISO)
Computer: I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave.

And my name isn't even Dave.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...