• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Google disables cookies for 30 million of their users

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Cookies make Google money (targeted ads ect.) so obviously they are not doing this without a replacement system. I expect them to start abusing fingerprinting even more than they already do.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Delusional. I appreciate your interest in my activity but keep your digital hands to yourself, please. And maybe answer questions.
No interest, you're a stalker.

Attachments

• gba.png
    gba.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Haha
Reactions: Dark_Ansem

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What was funny about me asking for an explanation?
Some members in this forum do like this and you can do is ignore them.

If anyone give reaction, even laugh and sad, you gets higher reaction score.

and it is unnecessary to throw revenge on someone for give laugh reaction - just ignore them.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No interest, you're a stalker.

As I said, delusional. And you started it.
Post automatically merged:

Some members in this forum do like this and you can do is ignore them.

If anyone give reaction, even laugh and sad, you gets higher reaction score.

and it is unnecessary to throw revenge on someone for give laugh reaction - just ignore them.

That's all fine, I was genuinely confused at why deleting cookies would be bad - or good. In any case, Firefox sadly still needs some of my fav extensions for me to switch completely- and the mobile version sucks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240212_205630_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240212_205630_Firefox.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 8

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Delusional. I appreciate your interest in my activity but keep your digital hands to yourself, please. And maybe answer questions.
If you actually still want an answer to your initial question, Google's main revenue streams are their advertising services. In large part they have a near monopoly on advertising on the internet and if anyone wishes to run their ads they often have to go through Google. The more targeted and custom tailored an ad can be the more effective that ad is, and as such the more value it has. Third-party cookies have long been a sort of semi-public way how every advertising company on the planet has created a profile for any given user to more effectively target them with ads. Since everyone had access to them the playing field was ethically questionable but "fair". This change however tips the scales massively in favor of Google as now they control what other advertisers can read out from any given user, effectively allowing them to either monetize it directly (they sell access to that information how they see fit), or by simply hurting the other advertising companies and forcing the companies buying ads to buy their spots from Google instead. Similarly sites that may have relied on advertising from companies other than Google may have to switch to Google to make ends meet as advertisers start going with Google Ads even more.

This also ties back to chrome making changes to their addon framework recently that will hinder ad blockers from working as they previously did and imposes more restrictions on them, as well as the fact that most people use chrome and thus a huge chunk of ad revenue being taken and controlled by Google.

While they make this sound like a positive change for people, and it maybe to some extent as fewer companies will get as much data, Google has never shied away from exploiting or creating a market opportunity. This will not be any different.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While they make this sound like a positive change for people, and it maybe to some extent as fewer companies will get as much data, Google has never shied away from exploiting or creating a market opportunity. This will not be any different.

Thank you, this is the answer I was looking for.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Google has never shied away from exploiting or creating a market opportunity. This will not be any different.
Correct, see also their https-pushing agenda, and their sponsorship of Mozilla (firefox then being useful in their anti-Microsoft approach, now a puppet rival to downplay their dominant position)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
OK so which browser is safe?
From what?
WebExtensions, manifest v3, proprietary gimmick of the day to be foisted on firefox, etc? Probably a fork of classic Firefox (like Pale Moon but that has its own ethical problems, see Ad Nauseam scandal) or some other independent, very minority browser (vintage Opera? NetSurf? Midori but that too has become a chromium clone too?)
Google tracking? May well use ungoogled chromium if you like their other decisions

For whatever it's worth my website works fine in IE6 and even older, not saying you should aggressively try to use it and switch to something else for sites that don't work fine, but the cancer bloat of modern browsers is a self-inflicted disease (=having to be operating systems of their own for all the unsolicited javashit they run by default)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto