Hacking Google Code Shutdown - Fallback?

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
(Have done a search on this, but can't seem to find anything related sorry!)

As we probably all know by now, Googlecode is being taken down for whatever reason, I haven't looked deep into it but yeahh, it's going bye bye.

So that leaves me with a question: Is there a fallback for it?

By that I mean are the documents, sources, FAQs etc going to be held somewhere else to access, or will they just disappear...? I can't see that being the case, since people still work on Wii Homebrew apps to this day but so far I haven't thought of a place they'll be hosted otherwise.

Thanks all.

Reactions: Margen67

GreenZeldaCap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I guess all the projects that are still running will move to Github while all the dead ones will need to be re-uploaded by someone else otherwise they will be gone for good.

Reactions: Margen67

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
woa....

anyone knows the reason? i mean.. there are toons of code and cool stuff on googlecode pages...
anyone knows if they will still provide downloads but no new content after they close it?
specially with android.. there should be lots of open source apps hosten on google code... and they are closing it :(

also this should be gbatemp news....

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
woa....

anyone knows the reason? i mean.. there are toons of code and cool stuff on googlecode pages...
anyone knows if they will still provide downloads but no new content after they close it?
specially with android.. there should be lots of open source apps hosten on google code... and they are closing it :(

also this should be gbatemp news....

I think it was a little while back. They're going to close everything off for new entries in August or September or something like that and everything will be wiped from the servers in 2016. There is an "export to GitHub" button, though

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Official email I received from Google two months ago:
Google said:
Hello,
Earlier today, Google announced we will be turning down Google Code Project Hosting. The service started in 2006 with the goal of providing a scalable and reliable way of hosting open source projects. Since that time, millions of people have contributed to open source projects hosted on the site.
But a lot has changed since 2006. In the past nine years, many other options for hosting open source projects have popped up, along with vibrant communities of developers. It’s time to recognize that Google Code’s mission to provide open source projects a home has been accomplished by others, such as GitHub and Bitbucket.
We will be shutting down Google Code over the coming months. Starting today, the site will no longer accept new projects, but will remain functionally unchanged until August 2015. After that, project data will be read-only. Early next year, the site will shut down, but project data will be available for download in an archive format.
As the owner of the following projects, you have several options for migrating your data.
  • EDITED-FOR-PRIVACY-REASONS
The simplest option would be to use the Google Code Exporter, a new tool that will allow you to export your projects directly to GitHub. Alternatively, we have documentation on how to migrate to other services — GitHub, Bitbucket, and SourceForge — manually.
For more information, please see the Google Open Source blog or contact [email protected].
-The Google Code team
Take a look at the part that says "project data will be available for download in an archive format".

Reactions: migles

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I think it was a little while back. They're going to close everything off for new entries in August or September or something like that and everything will be wiped from the servers in 2016. There is an "export to GitHub" button, though
yeah i seen it.. just read news the excuse is "spam abuse" according to a news website..

which is plain dumb.. instead of the bullshit closure they could close new submissions and require a small payment for use it..
also, there are ways to deal with spam..

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-