Google Cast SDK released

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Qtis, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Qtis
    OP

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    [​IMG]

Google teased their Software Development Kit (SDK) for the snappy and cheap Chromecast back in July. The $35 device got quite a following immediately at launch, but many people felt that the app offering was severely lacking. Now the time has come for more developers getting into business as Google released its Google Cast SDK:

Popular apps like Netflix and Hulu may now get some more company from all kinds of apps. The SDK is now downloadable via Google. Best part is that you can actually add Chromecast support without creating a completely new app.

:arrow: Source

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    This could be interesting. There are many things I can muddle my way through and have a half working setup at the end of it but this sort of thing is very annoying.

Sadly I reckon its full potential will not be felt because of fear of piracy but hey.

3. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Anything viewed on the chrome browser can be viewed on tv thanks to the google cast plugin. Basically turning the device into a wireless hdmi, even if it is just for the browser. Think about how many video sites there are. In other words the device already unofficially supports piracy FAST6191.

T-hug likes this.
  4. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    i want to be able to use my emulators and games through it. that would be awesome.

5. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    That would be interesting. I wonder how responsive/laggy it would be waiting for the screen image to respond to controller presses.

6. rdurbin

rdurbin GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2006
    United States
    US

I don't think chromecast would work well for this. It works best for apps that get videos off internet, like netflix, hulu, youtube, etc.

The tabcasting feature of chromecast lags a bit. I tried streaming a video not directly supported from chromecast and there was a 1.5-2.0 sec delay from the video on computer to what appeared on the tv. now this wont be a prob for media servers to watch a movie, but playing a game would not work well at all, unless its improved.

7. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    Still isn't very useful as only H.264 (MP4) streams are supported. It still doesn't come close to miracast (which AFAIK struggles with emulators itself).

8. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    i know me too , i have a wireless display enabled laptop ,but it is the 1st gen and the lag is really bad , i can swap out my netgear receiver box fox for a 2.0 wireless display ,but you need to have the 2nd gen intel i series processor for it to allow you to install the newer wireless display software... however i found a post about someone who spoofed the processor ID to the the newest processor and got the new wireless display software installed, and they did it on a laptop that didnt even have a wireless display compatible chip , i have to look more into this, but maybe a chrome cast could be used to get a wireless display signal or an app could be written to do it , then anyone with an intel laptop (and intel my wifi video card) could spoof the processor id if they have an unsupported processor
    but the netgear box has come down considerably from when i got it as an early adopter, it is like 50 or 60 now compared to 100 when i bought it, smaller and usb powered and faster

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=450875

9. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    I've already tried with a small web-browser game and it was basically unplayable due to the latency.

10. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    if you are just going to watch netflix, or youtube, its fine
    past that though it cant really do much else because of the limitations and lag

I suggest getting an htpc instead (you dont have to build one or custom system or anything) just go to a goodwill store and look for older slim low profile pc's, they should be pretty cheap or just keep an eye out on trash day
    I myself have a dell inspiron 531s that I found in the trash and converted it into a htpc, a $10 wireless keyboard and mouse, a $10 low profile radeon 5450, a $5 usb wifi stick, and a fresh install of windows 7

11. rdurbin

rdurbin GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2006
    United States
    US
    well im sure better apps will come, but basically its only good for places that host video, (so like a drop box app or photobucket, im hoping for funimation and crunchyroll support myself) as chromecast app just sends the link to the video to the chromecast, but anything that would be hosted on a pc or phone, like a media server, game or screen mirroring would not work well on chromecast. media server wouldn't be so bad as it doesnt require the tv to shows whats on pc/phone, but this kinda destroys the point of chromecast, since it normally just sends a link to the chromecast, it saves you from draining your phone battery.