Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wizzerzak said:
QUOTE said:
Better security via an improved implementation of ASLR, and a few other tricks.
I'll have McAfee installed anyway so no worries there.
Improved implementation of ASLR and other core security features boosts security regardless of which AV you are using.

Don't assume that your AV can't be bypassed.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Mazor said:
Rydian said:
It's 7 pages of benchmarks.
How does the fact that they covered 7 sections make the results in those sections overrule those of other benchmarks?

For instance, why do you find it to be more true than three relevant results from first page of google results (of which none are from when Vista was brand new and general consesus was that it was underperforming)?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/22/windows...multicore-benc/

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/w...review?page=0,3

http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/death-m...xp-144?page=0,0
I'm sorry, but I don't get what your actual complaint is. You've just inferred it so far, never actually stated it.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
I'm sorry, but I don't get what your actual complaint is. You've just inferred it so far, never actually stated it.

yaypsp.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
That's an honest question.

You asked why I trusted those benchmarks over others, but the ones you provided show the same sort of trend, that windows 7 is faster than vista in many cases, but for things normal people would be doing the differences are either negligible (like a 2% FPS increase in a game), or non-concrete (in some games vista's slightly faster, in some 7 is faster).

That's why I'm asking you to clarify, because I thought your complaint was that the benchmarks were totally wrong, but the ones you gave show the same sort of trend.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
You asked why I trusted those benchmarks over others
Yes, this was my question (which you didn't answer, other than saying it covered 7 pages).

Rydian said:
windows 7 ... vista
Mazor said:
While Vista ... claiming it to be better than XP in terms of speed
QUOTE(Rydian @ Dec 18 2010, 02:14 AM)
That's why I'm asking you to clarify, because I thought your complaint was that the benchmarks were totally wrong, but the ones you gave show the same sort of trend.
You've already understood what I was asking correctly, but you took Windows 7 into the equation instead of XP.

Well, this is getting unnecessary.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Your first source links to your third which doesn't show the actual benchmarks, so I'm only talking about the second link. As I said it shows the same sort of thing as my source. The intro to it even states that service pack 2 for vista fixed the disk speed issues (which you could see were totally unbalanced in the NAS portion of the benchmarks I gave), so both sources are familiar with the OSes involved.

If you're concerned that the differences vary, the fact that both sets were done on different hardware might account for it (especially the gaming benchmarks, which are the focus here).

If you have an actual concern about some of the numbers of tests, please name them. So far you've only been talking general, and in general our tests show the same sort of thing, that the performance differences very depending on what's being done, and can range in both directions. The "performance difference" columns in your source are plain as day, for one game XP to 7 it's +8%, then for another it's -11%. Check the other column (Vista to 7) and it's the same sort of deal, it ranges between positive and negative depending on the game run, and for one the difference isn't even a third of a percent (0.1FPS).

If you check out this page of what I linked, you'll notice the performance discrepancies vary as well, both with the game played and the hardware it's played on (which is different in both sets of benchmarks).

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wizzerzak said:
i don't do much extreme gaming, mostly just online stuff. I mostly need the power for other stuff like video, copying pictures which doesn't really concern the graphics (i dont think). The 2 offline games i do play are: RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (max settings) and i'm getting Civilization 5 for Christmas, does anyone know how well this will run and what settings i will be able to use?

anyone know how well this game will run?

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Lol i picked up a Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L v1 with QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz =$2.00 and 2 x 2gb G Skill F2-6400CL6-2GBMQ =$25.00 and a ECS N8500GT =$1.00 500watt =$1.00 internal multi card reader =$1.00 Case =$20 DVD burner = $30 so all up $80 oz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.