Gaming Good news! I AM RROD'D!

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have two 360s ... one is an Elite, that I bought last summer, and the other is the Premium I bought on launch day, in 2005 ... no trouble with either of them.

The thing is, when something has a problem, you hear about that problem ad nauseum ... the internet is great at making things look worse than they are ... not saying there have not been problems for some people, but it's not as black as it's painted.

Every person who has a problem will post on several boards ... this is the net norm ... this will make the problem seem larger, and more wide-spread ... and,if they use different user names on each board, it especially makes problems look worse.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think that's really the case with the 360 , it really is a piece of junk hardware wise. I'm on my second 360 , my mates given up , he had two rrod and one drive stop working , I know of at least two other people who have had rrod. Even if you were to accept it might be a bit exaggerated on the net , it's still a bad situation. Don't know about others , but the only reason I even put up with the 360 is because it can be flashed for free games , if it wasn't for that , I wouldn't have one. Microsoft needs to admit they screwed up and do a proper redesign , not just adding a little heatsink and making it use less power and hoping for the best. You see the prototype 360s have proper fans on the heatsink , when it comes out , it's passively cooled
blink.gif

SkankyYankee

GBAtemp Advanced Skank
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had a RROD
wtf.gif
, if M$ didn't extend the warranty i would of been screwed. But i kind of knew what i was getting myself into when i first saw the specs. I had the overwhelming feeling they needed a better cooling system in it.

If the first box was as hot as it is...

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
raulpica said:
I've got mine already RROD'd. I bought a Premium one and fixed it myself
wink.gif
Now's working great.

I haven't done the X-Clamps fix. From what I've seen it doesn't much, and the 360 will probably RROD again
tongue.gif

How did you fix it then?

poisonousj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Armadillo said:
I don't think that's really the case with the 360 , it really is a piece of junk hardware wise. I'm on my second 360 , my mates given up , he had two rrod and one drive stop working , I know of at least two other people who have had rrod. Even if you were to accept it might be a bit exaggerated on the net , it's still a bad situation. Don't know about others , but the only reason I even put up with the 360 is because it can be flashed for free games , if it wasn't for that , I wouldn't have one. Microsoft needs to admit they screwed up and do a proper redesign , not just adding a little heatsink and making it use less power and hoping for the best. You see the prototype 360s have proper fans on the heatsink , when it comes out , it's passively cooled
blink.gif

I use to be one of those that believed the problem wasn't as bad as all the internet reports were saying but so far now I know 7 people personally who got 3RROD. I've been able to fix most of them but one fix worked for a year, then 3rrod again and I was unable to recover it a 2nd time. Another person tried to do the "towel fix" before letting me try the x-clamp removal and I think that screwed it up more then it helped.

Another one of my friends told me it 3RROD. I asked him if he kept it well ventilated and didn't stack anything on it, and he said he didn't. So I went to his house and saw he had the power brick sitting DIRECTLY behind the 360 so not only were the vents blocked but hot air was blowing onto the power brick. UGH!
wacko.gif

I've had two 360s myself, a Premium I bought April 06 and an Elite I got at launch (the elite launch of course!) and never had a problem with either. However, I sold my Premium to a guy and within a month he reported to me that it had 3RROD.

I'm now trying to sell my Elite and keep a Pro version I got with the falcon chip & maybe pick up a PS3 when the MGS4 bundle comes out.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
MGS4 color limited edition PS3 looks pretty ugly. It looks like that PS3 has constipation. The MkII headset looks pretty cool though, it's bluetooth so worth the buck I think.

I'd feel very insecure selling/buying used 360. I wouldn't know if the used 360 had signs of RROD and could die any minute, or if the buyer would believe me if I say that it has shown any signs of hardware failure except a couple freezes.
(I think less than one freeze per month means normal operations =P)

poisonousj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deathfisaro said:
MGS4 color limited edition PS3 looks pretty ugly. It looks like that PS3 has constipation. The MkII headset looks pretty cool though, it's bluetooth so worth the buck I think.

just to clarify, I'm interested in the standard black 80 gig ps3 that will come bundled with mgs4 & rumble controller and not the 'limited edition' gun metal one. Although I think the gun metal looks kinda cool, the standard shiney black fits perfect with my entertainment center.

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah it sounded like you meant the bundle when you said "bundle", but somehow it triggered the MGS4 LE console in my head so I had to say it
tongue.gif

I think black consoles look better in gloss, and white in matt although all my other electronics (monitor, speakers, external HDD, router, cable modem, DVD player, blah blah blah) are black and matt.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Ugh. I want to know how he fixed it so I can buy one and fix it myself. I wouldn't mind getting a cheap 360. I know where to get a controller + power brick + av cable for fairly cheap. So I'd be getting a great deal.

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ze // get it.
Just playing multiplatform games on modded 360 will make you couple thousand bucks richer. If you get Arcade or Pro, you would probably really need to worry about fixing RROD until at least 2009.

I have about 15 exclusive games for each console, and about 90% of multiplatforms I have are for 360.
(Basically I import Japanese multiplatform games for PS3, and when US version comes out I replay them if the game's good.)

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
deathfisaro said:
Even if you do an X-Clamp, it doesn't guarantee a perfect fix.
But if you are thinking $80, doesn't look like there's any alternatives =/

I'll take my chances. And yeah, $80 is about all I'd go up to. Besides, some RROD 360s still have warranty sticker!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv