Good news! I AM RROD'D!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by AshuraZro, Mar 7, 2008.

Mar 7, 2008

Good news! I AM RROD'D! by AshuraZro at 11:49 PM (3,437 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. AshuraZro
    OP

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    I'm sick, found out Grifball was on Halo 3, figured I'd play a bit of it since it's been a little bit. Starts up, freezes. Starts up, go to load a match, freezes, Star.... wait... doesn't start up. After my brother getting 2 of them, I keep my eye on the ring in anticipation of what I already knew was coming. Wait... Wait... BOOYAH! There it is! There's that little unfinished circle of doom!

But I can say this. I bought a refurbished premium system for about $230 CAD in september. I'll just be grabbing a core, seeing if I can fix this one up and making the best out of this situation if I can. If I can fix it, I'll just flash it and enjoy some pirated goodness.

Figure'd I'd just share that I too have now joined the Breakfast RROD club!

Quick Edit: I'm just going to play some smash bros, that's good too!

2. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    no warranty?

you said you would flash it, implying it's not flashed already. Why not send it into m$ and get it fixed up with a new hefty heatsink and then flash?

3. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    If you ain't modded it, send it back to M$. I've x-clamped 2 360s, one of which was RoD and had been freezing for a while. Since the x-clamp I've had no freezes and no RoD.

4. AshuraZro
    OP

Canada
    The first part of the second quote would be correct about sending back to M$. It was refurbished from an outside company and my work was selling some of them. Problem was nobody at my work knew that so I bought one and ripped off the face plate to see a nice little sticker saying the name of the company that did it and that it had a 2 month warrenty with them. Since then, I've learned that all the serials are registered as repaired by a 3rd party and Microsoft will not touch them with a 30 foot poll.

Since I will be leaving my job soon, I will be seeing if I can land a retail core system in a similar fashion.

5. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Mine just RRoD last week, I know the feeling. It had been freezing lately, I knew it was coming. I actually just packed it up and sent it to Microsoft about 5 minutes ago. Lets hope they don't check for my flashed drive

6. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    i dont play my 360 more than 1-2 per week. lately my brother has been playing rockband and mass effect a lot and there have been several times he gets 'disc unreadable' error. is the RROD coming to me soon?!

7. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    I never got Disc Unreadable ever before, so maybe he is just taking bad care of the discs?

8. AshuraZro
    OP

Canada
    Same 'ere. No sign of issues before.

I'm not too ticked off, I got a lot of time out of it for what little price I paid. My error is just about to bite my wallet in the ass is all.

9. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    why would you waste money on a prduct that will most likely RROD again

this is why i will never by the microsoft system :-( you dont hear ps3 owners or wii owners getting there systems fucked like that

10. AshuraZro
    OP

Canada
    Simple, I have games for it already and M$ is actually pretty quick at replacing systems here for ones that they will cover. I've invested too much money to just call it quits.

Plus I enjoy playing online with my friends. Not many of them have a PS3.

If I didn't have the games already and playing with my buddies wasn't a major factor, I would probably dip my toes in the PS3 pool and check the water.[​IMG]

LAST EDIT, I SWEAR: I bought N+ for XBLA. I have to finish it.

11. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    cool, yeah, just x-clamp it and flash it and if it lasts until august, buy a new system then. Because the jasper model will be out then which sports 65nm cpu and gpu chips and will be a lot less likely to rrod on ya.

/edited for awful grammar to, well, less awful grammar..

12. Moots

Member Moots The Incredible Sulk

Canada
    As for the disc read error. My room mate got those once in awhile for about 5-6 months, and finally he RROD'd so hopefully you have a little time.

BUT on a good note

He sent it from canada, and he got it back in less than 10 days

13. AshuraZro
    OP

Canada
    Digging up my old topic to ask a new question, rather than making a new one! Recycling is good!

XClamp fix: I've read a bit on it but I'm wondering if there is a simple guide on it. I haven't opened a 360 before and I'd like to at least know what I'm doing. Not to mention, what do I need and from where?

14. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
  15. Lyuse

Lyuse Newbie

This is why I'm afraid to buy a 360

16. sean0007

Newcomer sean0007 Advanced Member

Canada
    It got me on Easter, had family over playing and stuff. Just sent it back yesterday for replacement. Easter was still a successful gaming session thanks to Smash Bros Brawl.

17. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I've got mine already RROD'd. I bought a Premium one and fixed it myself [​IMG] Now's working great.

I haven't done the X-Clamps fix. From what I've seen it doesn't much, and the 360 will probably RROD again [​IMG]

18. DarkCamui

Member DarkCamui GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    All my consoles are NTSC with the exception for my Xbox 360 which I bought here in Sweden since I'm scared about having RROD and no warranty [​IMG]

19. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

Never buy a refurbished or second hand 360 [​IMG] all I can say...
    but now the price is low enough not to resort to buying refurbished consoles, I think.

20. AshuraZro
    OP

Canada
    I got mine severely reduced in price at the time due to the fact I worked there, so after I fix it the price will still be good.

But you are right, with the 360 failure rate through the roof, it's not entirely wise to go with a refurb. In the end, I bought a 360 Arcade console to use as a replacement and I might just sell it once I've fixed the old console.