Good Let's play/reviewers!

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by NeoSupaMario, Jul 22, 2015.

1. NeoSupaMario
    OP

NeoSupaMario GBATemp's Official Stegosaurus

Aug 19, 2011
    United States
    Hello all! I know several good video game reviewers/let's players out there (Markiplier, JonTron, Space Hamster, etc.) and I was wondering, who do you all reccomend watching?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Maybe find a longplay to skip around if you are interested in a game. Otherwise I have never found a let's play that amusing, something about the format and lack of scripting, editing, production values and signal to noise ratio just does not sit well with me.

Depravo likes this.
  3. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I have always kinda regarded lets plays as only a fraction of a percentage better than infamous "unboxing" vidoes. Seriously, who the fop cares. Usually "let's plays" are some sort of bumbling dork who talks out his nose, running a blind nuzlock challenge for the 5th time on the same game. Most are generally uninteresting and heavily drowned in pointless and annoying constant narration. If I have to watch a lets play, for story or strategy, I prefer the PLer to keep his or her respective mouth shut. Speed run on the other hand, and infinitly more interesting. Everyone already knows what the game is about and there is no reason for pointless commentary about how one is doing against the average casual crowd.

vayanui8, Sakitoshi and WiiCube_2013 like this.
  4. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I don't really watch people play games on YouTube but I am subscribed to AVGN, Pat the NES Punk, DonTomasGamer and CoreSublime which a few times I might watch them but mostly.. nope. I just stick to their other content.

For gameplay videos I prefer to only hear the game itself than someone talking over it and saying dumbshit.

5. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Achievement Hunter are personal favorites of mine, as are the Game Grumps, PBG Gameplay, TwoBestFriends, Video Game Dunkey, etc.

As far as reviewers, my absolute favorite is Caddicarus. Mostly does playstation games, really funny dude, has great opinions.

6. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    For reviewers?

It really depends on how you define the term.

I watch a lot of
    Pbg
    Jontron
    Pat the nes punk
    Metal Jesus
    Space hamseter
    The completionist
    Brutal moose

7. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    Let's play are the cancer of gaming related videos, just people shouting nonsense while playing a game(and more often than not destroying headphone users ears) because........ nothing . comedic shows like AVGN and Pat are good.
    if you want to see the game to get unstuck just watch walkthroughs. if is just to watch a game being played then stick to speedruns.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  8. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Watched a couple of Top 10 vids from Metal Jesus and he's really good, same goes for Pat but for some weird reason he keeps using red tint on his videos (just watch his latest review for example).

Maybe his monitor isn't calibrated and so this is why.

9. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    I had your problem long time ago and, after a few weeks of research, I can finally do a list of my own:

- none

That's it.

10. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Yeah I like MJ because he highlights a lot of underrated games and gets me stuff to play.

As for pat I watch the podcast alot and I like flea market madness.

11. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    LP's: Game Grumps, Super Best Friends/Two Best Friends/Best Friends Zaibatsu whatever other names they have, Super Gaming Brothers

Review: AVGN, Pat The NES Punk, ProJared, Some Call Me Johnny

I also like James & Mike Mondays, which is AVGN and MIke playing and sort of reviewing games at the same time. It's not like AVGN at all though, he's not in character or anything.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  12. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I tend to watch/read TotalBiscuit, Giant Bomb, Jimquisition, and Super Bunnyhop. TotalBiscuit and Giant Bomb are decent for finding good Indie titles.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  13. Clab

Clab Member

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2014
    For LPs, I quite like Christopher Odd. He puts more focus on getting into the story and thinking about decisions than most people I've seen. I finally admitted to myself I was never going to get round to The Witcher games, and I don't think I could have asked for a better alternative.

14. NeoSupaMario
    OP

NeoSupaMario GBATemp's Official Stegosaurus

Aug 19, 2011
    United States
    Alright thanks so much for all of your input so far! I also managed to find a guy deep in the depths of facebook pages who's just starting out, he's ok, shows some promise I think. If you're interested: https://facebook.com/profile.php?id=477670945743549

15. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    D) None of the above.

16. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    The one i like are Caddicarus and Balrog.