Hacking Good job, guys

Wintrale

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well isn't this just dandy? According to this Destructoid article, there's now a hack that lets you not only unban yourself from PSN but also ban anyone else you like. So it's not enough that you hack our consoles to get our credit card information, but now you've assumed direct control over who gets banned and who doesn't? What's next, oh Freedom Fighters of the Anti-Sony Cause? Going to screw up with user's purchase history and freely wipe them?

This really has gone far beyond simply allowing yourself to run your own code on your PS3... This is just stupid. At this rate, legitimate owners of PS3s are going to have to throw our consoles away. It's almost getting to the point where they're not safe to even use any more.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Article seems wrong. There's a thread discussing the source and nowhere is mentioned the ability to unban. In addition in order to "ban somebody" you'd need to make your machine appear as theirs by using their ID (which you can only get from their machine, making it extremely rare to have) and then do something bannable, so when Sony bans "you" they actually ban the other person. The problem there being the IP and other info for the account won't match up to the normal records, so Sony can easily see something is wrong.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I havent read the article but
1. good we can unban ourselves.
2. If someone bans you cant you just unban yourself?
Also after reading that article, there doesnt seem to be any legitimacy no the article lol

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Don't worry. You won't get banned. The chances that someone has your PS3's ID is .00000000000000000001%.
... through random guessing, that is.

And to be more technically accurate, according to the screenshot given (an ID length of 64 characters and charmap of 16 (hexadecimal))...
It's a 1 in 115792089237316195423570985008687907853269984665640564039457584007913129639936 chance.

I'd give the percentage but I can't find a calculator that will calculate that...

EDIT: Found it.

0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000009% (rounded).

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wintrale said:
Well isn't this just dandy? According to this Destructoid article, there's now a hack that lets you not only unban yourself from PSN but also ban anyone else you like. So it's not enough that you hack our consoles to get our credit card information, but now you've assumed direct control over who gets banned and who doesn't? What's next, oh Freedom Fighters of the Anti-Sony Cause? Going to screw up with user's purchase history and freely wipe them?

This really has gone far beyond simply allowing yourself to run your own code on your PS3... This is just stupid. At this rate, legitimate owners of PS3s are going to have to throw our consoles away. It's almost getting to the point where they're not safe to even use any more.
You are very misinformed. First off: All this stuff ONLY applies if you were to use a dodgy CFW. If your PS3 is on OFW (i.e. you are a "legitimate owner", you have NOTHING to worry about).

The reason is that the PS3 sends the information over a secure connection i.e. only a server with the correct certificates can actually get the information. Normally, this means only the official PSN servers. However, with a CFW, more certificates can be installed on the PS3, and PSN stuff can be redirected through a proxy. This proxy could have the new, hacked certificates, so that proxy would be able to phish your information, and would probably then pass it on to PSN, so everything would actually work and people wouldn't be suspicious. Then the author of the dodgy CFW would have your console ID, PSN credentials, credit card details etc., and could use your console ID as a spoofed ID for themselves, to "unban" themselves (bans work on console IDs I believe). However, this is actually unlikely to work, because if you have a dodgy CFW installed, chances are you are (or soon will be) banned as well, so spoofing your console ID won't do much good.

If you use OFW, it is (nearly) impossible for anyone to get your console ID, PSN credentials or credit card details

(unless by some unimaginable means a hacker somewhere manages to get the official certificates from PSN servers. But even then, you'd need to be using a DNS update bypass thingy to get your info stolen)

[of course, they could guess, but anything can (theoretically) be guessed. it is very unlikely]

Wintrale

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
For those of you saying they need your System ID in order to do it, you actually think there isn't someone out there trying to access the place that holds that information? Hackers already worked out how to get our credit card info, so getting our System IDs should be a piece of cake! My main question, though, is what happened to "We're only doing this so we can run homebrew"? Or does screwing with other people's consoles fall under fair usage now?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wintrale said:
For those of you saying they need your System ID in order to do it, you actually think there isn't someone out there trying to access the place that holds that information? Hackers already worked out how to get our credit card info, so getting our System IDs should be a piece of cake! My main question, though, is what happened to "We're only doing this so we can run homebrew"? Or does screwing with other people's consoles fall under fair usage now?
NO ONE HAS YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION.

I thought I said that in big red letters already in this thread...

EDIT: And there are two places the Console ID are stored: Your PS3 and PSN servers. PSN servers are pretty secure I'm guessing, if they weren't then everyone who has ever used PSN would have had their credit card details stolen by now (WHICH THEY HAVE NOT). Therefore, the only viable place to get YOUR Console ID is YOUR PS3. And the only way to get it from their is if you install a bad CFW. If you stay on OFW, NONE OF THIS AFFECTS YOU

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Wintrale said:

35n24v6.jpg

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale... go back and read more than the first post of the other threads, please.
You're misinformed about what the hackers can and can't actually access.

And did it never occur to you that if somebody hacked Sony's servers we'd have more to worry about than a video game system being banned? You know, like the credit card info... And by the way, hacking the server itself has nothing to do with video game systems. This is always a threat and has no pre-requisites related to whether a game console is hacked. It's a threat every company faces daily.

You're thinking too hard and reading too little.

EDIT: Also, the previous post wins hard.

Wintrale

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Wintrale, you really need to not lump people into a single group based on one common factor (in this case hacking the PS3). You know what it's called when people do it based off race? Racism.

I can't believe this... You're calling me racist? You actually have the GALL to call me racist? Ha! This is priceless!

"Oh, we only hacked the PS3 so we could run what programs we wanted - it's not our fault that people are using the door we created to hack the PSN servers so they can ban and unban consoles whenever they want, or that people are running backups on the PS3 even though we apparently did everything we could to make sure they wouldn't be able to, nor is it our fault that everyone and their grandmother now knows what to look for when it comes to credit card information!"

I really am amazed, Rydian. You're so anti-Sony and pro-hacker that you don't actually give a shit what these people are doing, even going so far to defend them that you'd call someone like me racist for actually being vocal against this whole thing. I guess "running homebrew" is so important to you that you don't care how far these hackers go, right? That's awfully nice to know. You've proven yourself ignorant on two counts, there, one for calling me racist and the other for acting like nobody is doing anything wrong.

zachpl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest seeing how easy it was to find the sony root key, I wouldn't be surprised if the algorithmic behind the PS3 ID was that easy to crack too... If it is sony might as well give up on PS3 all together.

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
Rydian said:
Wintrale, you really need to not lump people into a single group based on one common factor (in this case hacking the PS3). You know what it's called when people do it based off race? Racism.

I can't believe this... You're calling me racist? You actually have the GALL to call me racist? Ha! This is priceless!

"Oh, we only hacked the PS3 so we could run what programs we wanted - it's not our fault that people are using the door we created to hack the PSN servers so they can ban and unban consoles whenever they want, or that people are running backups on the PS3 even though we apparently did everything we could to make sure they wouldn't be able to, nor is it our fault that everyone and their grandmother now knows what to look for when it comes to credit card information!"

I really am amazed, Rydian. You're so anti-Sony and pro-hacker that you don't actually give a shit what these people are doing, even going so far to defend them that you'd call someone like me racist for actually being vocal against this whole thing. I guess "running homebrew" is so important to you that you don't care how far these hackers go, right? That's awfully nice to know. You've proven yourself ignorant on two counts, there, one for calling me racist and the other for acting like nobody is doing anything wrong.

He didn't call you racist. Although he did do that thing that Glenn Beck REALLY likes to do. Not sure if ya'll know who is he, but basically he's got his own show over here in the States where he constantly tries to tie everything left-wing to Hitler era Germany etc.

Trying to say that because you (I don't even know that you did but that's besides the point) lumped people with hacked PS3s into the same group that it's the same as racism is totally ridiculous. I'm sure that anyone who has been the victim of racism would get a good laugh at that statement.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Ya know what...Im removing my credit card info just in case as I never buy much from there nowadays for several reasons and plus I'm getting a freaking 360. Having a PS3 just seems like too much trouble cause some games I'd enjoy playing online (like Black OPs)

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe someone should create a CLEAR FAQ (we have lots of them) - rather than sifting through numerous threads to find out what the real deal is.

I'm inclined to believe those who say 'You have nothing to worry about if you're on OFW'.

Just a suggestion I guess.

princefarzan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I love how people blame the hackers when really it's all sony's fault, for all I care they can go and try to fken ban me, and for you people that are scared of getting banned are all paranoid, NOTHING will happen to you if you have legit PS3, and for the last time stop blaming the hackers!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond...