GCN Good GC Modchip

TLSpartan

Kills threads
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You guys have helped me in the past so hopefully you can help me here.What is the best GC modchip out there? All I want to do is play backups. Also is it worth getting a DVD sized case for the Gamecube?

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If all you wanna do is play backups then the XenoGC is a good choice. That's what I have and its cheap. YES, if you can, get the case mod. Those mini-dvd prices add up and ful-size DVDRs have a much better burn rate
biggrin.gif

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's been a few threads on this already - personally I have a xenoGC, very easy to install (quicksolder), direct boot games (no extra menus or anything), doesn't have stacks of features like other modchips but if you just want to play backups then it's ideal.

Loads of people seem to have full sized cases though I don't have one myself - I like the authentic look of 8cm DVDs lol and they don't cost much more.
happy.gif

TLSpartan

Kills threads
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You guys found any MAJOR games that don't work on the XenoGC? Is there any good homebrew besides SNES emulation out. If there I would probably get a homebrew compatibile modchip. Do you just use a SD to Gamecube Memory Card Adapter for homebrew?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
You guys have helped me in the past so hopefully you can help me here.What is the best GC modchip out there? All I want to do is play backups. Also is it worth getting a DVD sized case for the Gamecube?
I agree with the other people in this forum if you really only want to run bcps then the xeno is pretty nice but I personally still prefer my Viper GC extreme over the others. It really is quite a nice chip.

http://ngc.scorpei.com/viper.html

And indeed also a casemod really is nice as those miniDVD's are damn expensive (proper ones anyway). I have an IcedCube (see webpage) myself which works really nice (looks great too, better then only top replacements) but you could run Coptermode
tongue.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is there any good homebrew besides SNES emulation out?
Nes, Genessis, dumper, Linux is pretty fun (MFE is really nice).
QUOTE said:
If there I would probably get a homebrew compatibile modchip. Do you just use a SD to Gamecube Memory Card Adapter for homebrew?
http://ngc.scorpei.com/GUIDE-SD_adapter.html
Jup (with the Viper I store SDload on the internal flash mem of the chip so I don't even use a DVD anymore with my GC
wink.gif

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You guys found any MAJOR games that don't work on the XenoGC? Is there any good homebrew besides SNES emulation out. If there I would probably get a homebrew compatibile modchip. Do you just use a SD to Gamecube Memory Card Adapter for homebrew?

Everything works with it. All the hombrew I've tried works just fine. SNES, GENESIS, NES......haven't had any problem. If you get a chip, then you wouldn't have a need for the SD adapter lol.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So pretty much you burn all of apps you want onto the DVD and... it just works. If so I'm sold on the XenoGC. Now to find good site...

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dealextreme sell the SD>GC adaptors for $8 shipped.

The Last Spartan - All games work fine, even later ones like Zelda TP etc...

And to the others.... Buying a full sized case does not (necessarily) work out cheaper than buying "expensive" mini-DVDs! Yes the mini-DVDs are more expensive but you aren't wasting any money on a new case! If I spent £20 on a full sized case... I would have to burn a minimum of 81 games before there is any advantage in buying full sized DVDs! (FYI there aren't even 81 must own GC titles!
tongue.gif
).
To do the math find the difference in price of a full sized DVD (in my case 20p) and a mini DVD (45p). (In my case it would be 25p). Divide this amount by the amount it would cost for a full sized case (£20), and you will have the number of discs you will have to burn before there is any cost benefit in using full sized DVDs.

smile.gif

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Now to find good site...
Eurasia.nu sell them for $15 USD (+$7 for shipping). divineo.com have them for $8.99 USD (dunno how much shipping is) but they don't state whether it's a v2 or not so might be asking them (As regards v1 and v2 - I can't remember what the difference was but it may have been releated to the firmware and v1 had an issue regarding something, lol, sorry I can't remember the specifics).

smile.gif

TLSpartan

Kills threads
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
According to a review on Dealextreme a guy said you could boot GC backups. Is this with or without a modchip. Sorry for some of the noob questions guys
laugh.gif

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
According to a review on Dealextreme a guy said you could boot GC backups. Is this with or without a modchip. Sorry for some of the noob questions guys
laugh.gif
Probably talking about using it with an Action Replay, it's a possible method but you have to swap discs and the Action Replay will be more expensive than a mod chip.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
www.foundmy.com has XenoGC v2.0 chips + 2 free mini-DVD's on their site fo $22 (includes shipping).

TLSpartan

Kills threads
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Devante.Is that free shipping or shipping to USA. If not can you check to Australia(victoria). I dont want to give them my details for no reason

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe it was $14 for the chip (remember, it's v2.0).
And $8.00 for shipping within the USA.

I'm not sure about international.
tongue.gif
'

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The easiest softmod solution is/was the MaxDrive Pro -- good luck finding one.

My mod is a basic ViperGC, has worked flawlessly since install.

I use the mini-DVDs, but make sure you get the Ritek/RiDATA 4X mini DVD-Rs if you aren't going to mod your case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ