Good GC Modchip

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by TLSpartan, Jul 14, 2007.

Jul 14, 2007

Good GC Modchip by TLSpartan at 3:25 PM (1,622 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. TLSpartan
    OP

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    You guys have helped me in the past so hopefully you can help me here.What is the best GC modchip out there? All I want to do is play backups. Also is it worth getting a DVD sized case for the Gamecube?

2. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    If all you wanna do is play backups then the XenoGC is a good choice. That's what I have and its cheap. YES, if you can, get the case mod. Those mini-dvd prices add up and ful-size DVDRs have a much better burn rate [​IMG]

3. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    There's been a few threads on this already - personally I have a xenoGC, very easy to install (quicksolder), direct boot games (no extra menus or anything), doesn't have stacks of features like other modchips but if you just want to play backups then it's ideal.

Loads of people seem to have full sized cases though I don't have one myself - I like the authentic look of 8cm DVDs lol and they don't cost much more. [​IMG]

4. TLSpartan
    OP

Australia
    You guys found any MAJOR games that don't work on the XenoGC? Is there any good homebrew besides SNES emulation out. If there I would probably get a homebrew compatibile modchip. Do you just use a SD to Gamecube Memory Card Adapter for homebrew?

5. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    I agree with the other people in this forum if you really only want to run bcps then the xeno is pretty nice but I personally still prefer my Viper GC extreme over the others. It really is quite a nice chip.

http://ngc.scorpei.com/viper.html

And indeed also a casemod really is nice as those miniDVD's are damn expensive (proper ones anyway). I have an IcedCube (see webpage) myself which works really nice (looks great too, better then only top replacements) but you could run Coptermode [​IMG].

6. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    http://ngc.scorpei.com/GUIDE-SD_adapter.html
    Jup (with the Viper I store SDload on the internal flash mem of the chip so I don't even use a DVD anymore with my GC [​IMG].

7. TLSpartan
    OP

Australia
    MFE is DVD Playback right? I thought you had to patch the DVD so it would work.

8. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Everything works with it. All the hombrew I've tried works just fine. SNES, GENESIS, NES......haven't had any problem. If you get a chip, then you wouldn't have a need for the SD adapter lol.

9. TLSpartan
    OP

Australia
    So pretty much you burn all of apps you want onto the DVD and... it just works. If so I'm sold on the XenoGC. Now to find good site...

10. Darkforce

United Kingdom
    Dealextreme sell the SD>GC adaptors for $8 shipped.

The Last Spartan - All games work fine, even later ones like Zelda TP etc...

And to the others.... Buying a full sized case does not (necessarily) work out cheaper than buying "expensive" mini-DVDs! Yes the mini-DVDs are more expensive but you aren't wasting any money on a new case! If I spent £20 on a full sized case... I would have to burn a minimum of 81 games before there is any advantage in buying full sized DVDs! (FYI there aren't even 81 must own GC titles! [​IMG]).
    To do the math find the difference in price of a full sized DVD (in my case 20p) and a mini DVD (45p). (In my case it would be 25p). Divide this amount by the amount it would cost for a full sized case (£20), and you will have the number of discs you will have to burn before there is any cost benefit in using full sized DVDs.

[​IMG]

11. Darkforce

United Kingdom
    Eurasia.nu sell them for $15 USD (+$7 for shipping). divineo.com have them for $8.99 USD (dunno how much shipping is) but they don't state whether it's a v2 or not so might be asking them (As regards v1 and v2 - I can't remember what the difference was but it may have been releated to the firmware and v1 had an issue regarding something, lol, sorry I can't remember the specifics).

[​IMG]

12. TLSpartan
    OP

Australia
    According to a review on Dealextreme a guy said you could boot GC backups. Is this with or without a modchip. Sorry for some of the noob questions guys [​IMG]

13. Darkforce

United Kingdom
    Probably talking about using it with an Action Replay, it's a possible method but you have to swap discs and the Action Replay will be more expensive than a mod chip.

14. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    www.foundmy.com has XenoGC v2.0 chips + 2 free mini-DVD's on their site fo $22 (includes shipping).

15. TLSpartan
    OP

Australia
    Thanks Devante.Is that free shipping or shipping to USA. If not can you check to Australia(victoria). I dont want to give them my details for no reason

16. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    I believe it was $14 for the chip (remember, it's v2.0).
    And $8.00 for shipping within the USA.

I'm not sure about international. [​IMG]'

17. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    The easiest softmod solution is/was the MaxDrive Pro -- good luck finding one.

My mod is a basic ViperGC, has worked flawlessly since install.

I use the mini-DVDs, but make sure you get the Ritek/RiDATA 4X mini DVD-Rs if you aren't going to mod your case.