Good cellular service for an individual? Also, Xfinity Mobile?

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
So I am looking for a cheap cellular service, as I find Verizon to be too expensive for what I need (Verizon Plan Small 2GB = $64 after fees and taxes). Don't need unlimited data as I don't do much streaming content on my phone when out and about. For example, out of 2GB, I've only used 11% and have 10 days left on my plan. Thought maybe MetroPCS, but I dunno.

I did learn about Xfinity Mobile, which offers unlimited talk and text with 100MB of data for free with an Xfinity Internet subscription (which I have), as well as $12 per GB or $45 for unlimited data. Only issue is that if I change internet service to another company, I'd lose that too. Also, it requires that I have/get a qualifying phone, of which my Galaxy S3 isn't qualifying. Of course chances are whoever I go with might require I get a new phone anyways, and I'm ready for one (though waiting for Black Friday for that).

Last edited by DiscostewSM,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Since you don't use much data, I would suggest FreedomPop. They have super cheap plans ($13 a month gets you unlimited text/calling and 500MB of data, which you should be good with :P), and you can just bring your own phone (which your Galaxy S3 should be compatible with) and keep your number if you like.

They used to be just a VOIP only service (so you'd need a Wifi connection to use it), but now they piggy back off of Sprint's towers for their 4G LTE data when you're out and about. This might be kind of a "con" cuz Sprint's 4G speeds are relatively low compared to competitors, but I don't think that'd be an issue for you since you don't use much data at all.

I don't use them personally, but I've introduced 3 or 4 people to them who basically swear by FreedomPop and never have any issues.

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Since you don't use much data, I would suggest FreedomPop. They have super cheap plans ($13 a month gets you unlimited text/calling and 500MB of data, which you should be good with :P), and you can just bring your own phone (which your Galaxy S3 should be compatible with) and keep your number if you like.

They used to be just a VOIP only service (so you'd need a Wifi connection to use it), but now they piggy back off of Sprint's towers for their 4G LTE data when you're out and about. This might be kind of a "con" cuz Sprint's 4G speeds are relatively low compared to competitors, but I don't think that'd be an issue for you since you don't use much data at all.

I don't use them personally, but I've introduced 3 or 4 people to them who basically swear by FreedomPop and never have any issues.
Was thinking that if FreedomPop's plan is $13 per month for unlimited talk/text with 500MB data and uses Sprint's towers, wouldn't XfinityMobile be better at $12 per month because of 1GB plus it's using Verizon's towers? Besides getting a new phone (which I am in need of, this S3 is just dang slow for me even after factory reset), I can only imagine that FreedomPop may be the better option simply because it's not tied to another service like XfinityMobile is.

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if its an option for you but 50$ at metropcs gets you unlimited everything thats assuming you have a phone already they can put a sim card into. You could also rig the system with sprints half tmobile deal if thats still running, open a tmobile account for one for whatever you need then swap to sprint and pay half wat you wouldve paid at tmobile. However again metro beats them both in price through normal means and sprint in speed. But thats just my experience with sprint and their service.

Last edited by jahrs,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I see your mop and raise you George's mop lol