Hacking Going to buy an Acekard

n8equalsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking about giving my dstt clone to my nephew and getting an Acekard 2.1 from shoptemp. i was wondering if they sell the one without the spring loader and also how to manually update the kernel/firmware?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm, I'm not sure if Shoptemp's Acekard 2.1 is spring loaded or not.
I know that the Acekard 2i is though, I recently bought one as a birthday gift.

All it takes to update the firmware for an Acekard 2.1 is to place the latest firmware files on the microSD, nothing else.
There's no flashing involved because it will not work on a DSi anyway.

By the way, DSTT clones are pretty crap, will your nephew be happy with it?
Might be better to get an Original R4DS instead since they're only $6, will accept the existing microSD, and has Wood R4 custom firmware. It'll blow that DSTT out of the water.

Briankealing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the spring loaded version is no longer manufactured. I still have a spring loaded version with the clips and it's been beaten to dust, but it still works.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever you do, if you are buying an acekard do not skimp on the SD.

I think the problem comes in that people like me who buy a budget flash cart normaly go for a budget SD as well. Small warning.

Acekards do not work well with budget SD cards

n8equalsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Hmm, I'm not sure if Shoptemp's Acekard 2.1 is spring loaded or not.
I know that the Acekard 2i is though, I recently bought one as a birthday gift.

All it takes to update the firmware for an Acekard 2.1 is to place the latest firmware files on the microSD, nothing else.
There's no flashing involved because it will not work on a DSi anyway.

By the way, DSTT clones are pretty crap, will your nephew be happy with it?
Might be better to get an Original R4DS instead since they're only $6, will accept the existing microSD, and has Wood R4 custom firmware. It'll blow that DSTT out of the water.

My nephew should be just fine with it. He's only 5. I was also wondering where would I go to get the latest firmware files and how often are they updated?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Hmm, I'm not sure if Shoptemp's Acekard 2.1 is spring loaded or not.QUOTE(Briankealing @ Sep 18 2010, 01:44 PM) I'm pretty sure the spring loaded version is no longer manufactured. I still have a spring loaded version with the clips and it's been beaten to dust, but it still works.
Do either of you have a reason to think they're NOT springloader anymore?

From what I'm to understand the 'non-springloader' ones WERE springloaders with the springloader depressed.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I brought a spare about a month ago and it has no spring. It feels a bit different to my other one. When the spring fails on my old one the SD just slides in but doesn't feel as if it locks. The new one slides in a sort of gives a soft click.... well not really a click, but it feels as if it locks into position.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought mine about a month ago and it is a springloader (you push the micro sd down, hear a click, then you are at the springloader).

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I thought all acekard was springload..if the new one isn't, than that's good, hope they fix that contact issue too
I sold my acekard a shortly after I bought the dstwo, I hated the paper trick

EDIT..NVM you guys are talking about the 2.1

Auron32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i got one about three months ago, springloaded and using a 2GB Kingston Micro SD and its working fine, apart from Pokemon Platinums WI-FI stuff, but that could well be something I'VE done.

i got to replace the now dead official R4 DS cards (which was purchased to replace the DSXtreme...), i did use Ysmenu but quickly got bored of games not working and got a product that is actually supported by its company.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
I brought a spare about a month ago and it has no spring. It feels a bit different to my other one. When the spring fails on my old one the SD just slides in but doesn't feel as if it locks. The new one slides in a sort of gives a soft click.... well not really a click, but it feels as if it locks into position.
Mine feels the same way, and has a springloader.
If I push the MicroSD down far enough the springloader unlocks and will pop the card out.

I just leave the springloader depressed and pull the MicroSD out 'manually'.

Auron32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:

same here dude, its not that im lazy, i just dont like looking for things no bigger than my thumbnail... specially when its the colour of my carpet, that is not fun
smile.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Auron32 said:
twiztidsinz said:

same here dude, its not that im lazy, i just dont like looking for things no bigger than my thumbnail... specially when its the colour of my carpet, that is not fun
smile.gif
I just have big hands... Ejecting the cart isn't a problem, it's getting it back in.

Also, when I first got the AK2i, if I used the springloader, it felt like it was trying to force its way "up" out of the back of the card (if I pressed a finger behind the MicroSD while ejecting it I could feel a bulge) and sometimes would shoot the MicroSD out.
But since it's been depressed for a few months, it's lost that hard 'spring' to it and works fine.

n8equalsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, heres another question:

I ordered an Acekard 2.1 and I'm wondering where I would go to get the latest akaio loader updates?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
GBATemp will generally post it as front page stuff when the latest AKAIO stuff appear, so as long as you keep an eye on the GBATemp latest, you should be fine with updates (GBATemp is one of the first to get the updates).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs