Going Form WBFS to NTSC, Now Not Enough Space!?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by lettuce, Nov 14, 2010.

Nov 14, 2010
  1. lettuce
    OP

Member lettuce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I have gone from using a WBFS partition to NTSC, so have converted all my WBFS file games to ISO files via WiiBackup. But now all the game files are a massive size and dont have enough space to fit them all on my external HD. The thing is when i load the folder with all my Wii game in through Wiibackup, they show up as smaller sizes, and say that all my games are only 53GB, yet on my actual external HD they are taking up a massive 150GB. How do i get the file sizes smaller with NTSC iso files??

2. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    you can

-use *.wbfs files which are smaller
    -make the *.iso files sparse which will store files containing larege empty areas more efficiently
    -reorder the content in the iso and truncate it

I suggest the first

3. lettuce
    OP

Member lettuce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    So i should use a WBFS partition then?, or can *.wbfs files be used on NTSC partitions? Why does Wiibackup Manger have the iso files smaller than they are when i look at them through explorer?

4. D34DL1N3R

Member D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    I wouldn't use NTSC at all but NTFS is another story. Either way, I'd use FAT32 with .wbfs files or a WBFS partition.

5. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    With most modern loaders you can use *.wbfs files on FAT
    some support NTFS too
    there's a table in the wiki

not all the data in the iso is usefull
    the manager perhaps just display the amount of game data but not the garbage

6. sorgelig

Member sorgelig GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    i suggest to use PAL partition instead of NTSC. It has more free space [​IMG]

7. boondoklife

Member boondoklife GBAtemp Regular

United States
    LOL, yea I read that one and scratched my head too. But ya know I hear the new compression algorithm in NTSC-J (J = Juliet) allows for game images to only take up 1MB each!

8. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    .wbfs files CAN be used on NTSC partitions, and about Wii Backup Manager showing you smaller iso file sizes than what they actually are (4.37gb), is because that, the sizes you see in the explorer of Wii Backup Manager are actually the .wbfs file sizes.
    As in, if you add star wars force unleashed 2 to the manager, you'll see 3.8gb instead of 4.37gb, why?? Because 3.8gb is what the game size would be had it been a wbfs file. I hope you understand now.

9. boondoklife

Member boondoklife GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok I have to clear this up:

For those that read this post, please do not get confused. The only file systems that are currently available to put your games on are FAT(32), NTFS, and WBFS.

Putting files on: NTFS
    You can put ISO files on an NTFS partition as is or convert them to a WBFS file type (not partition).

Putting files on: FAT
    You can convert ISO files to 2GB WBFS file chunks and save them to the FAT file system

Putting files on: WBFS
    You can use a WBFS manager to load files onto the WBFS partition.

For the record, neither NTSC nor PAL are file systems they are instead television formats. They have nothing to do with storing games on a usb drive.

Now as to why the WBFS files are smaller, this is due to extra padding or files that are not needed being removed from the image. Once this is removed the file shrinks in size from what the ISO would be.

Hope that helps out anyone that read this train wreck and got confused.

10. C.S.I.

Member C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Just format your Drive as FAT32, and then use a WBFS Backup Manager to move your games onto it.

The Manager will automatically split any games as required. You dont need to do squat.

They will be the 'scrubbed' size, so will be able to get all your games on your HDD just like before.

I would suggest this backup manager.

http://www.completesoftmodguide.tk/backup-...-backup-manager